User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit of TLC for my girlfriends new (2nd hand) car exterior. Any advice?

Default Bit of TLC for my girlfriends new (2nd hand) car exterior. Any advice?

Hi all. Im completly new to detailing. I just clean my MPS once a week and give it a sprey-on clear-coat at a manual car wash, with the occasional good hand wax.

Anyway, my girlfriend's new car needs a bit of attention. Needs wax coat (got removed when she cleaned it with detergent last weekend- thats another story), but there are a few chips, heaps of little scratches, and some obvious previous touch-up paint fixes.
    We are just giving it a quick wax while we both have heaps of work on, but in a few weeks I would like to see if i can fix it up a little. Really not sure where to start or what to use though.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Hi Lachlan

Here are a few suggestions for you to start off:

For the little scratches you can try ZAS Car Detailing Products : Meguiar's Ultimate Compound 450ml G17216 applied with ZAS Car Detailing Products : Lake Country Foam Hand Pad Orange. It will take some effort though by hand.

Then after that you might want to consider buying a kit for your paint protection rather than the spray on wax at the DIY car wash. A kit has 3 basic components:

1. Pre-wax paint cleaner/polish - this is a non abrasive polish that will refine the surface and prep it before you wax. Some will also conceal minor imperfections like you mentioned on your girlfriends car. I recommend you take a look at ZAS Car Detailing Products : Prima Amigo Paint Cleaner/Glaze 473ml

2. Your base sealant - for this you use a durable synthetic wax (sealant) rather than a spray wax. We have a number of options for this. Prima Epic is an obvious choice to use with the Amigo and many members on here have had great results with it on their MPS. Or another option is Optimum Opti-Seal. If you don't have much experience with these kinds of products, the Opti-Seal might be a good choice. It has less of a learning curve than the Epic. You just use a very small amount of product, about two compressions of the sprayer for an average sized panel, spread it with the applicator and you will see it start to flash dry. If you notice any high spots that have hazed, a quick wipe with a microfibre cloth removes it and you're done. Move onto the next panel.

3. Your booster sealant - this is a spray wax or wash and wax, that you apply periodically much like a sacrificial layer of protection to boost the endurance of your main protection. If you prefer the spray wax option then Prima Hydro or Optimum Car Wax are both good options. If you went with the Epic, I would go with the Hydro. If you went with the Opti-Seal, I would go with the Optimum Car Wax.

The third option for your booster is ZAS Car Detailing Products : Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax 1.42L G17748. It won't last anywhere near as long as the spray waxes, but is as simple as just washing your car.

All these products can be purchased in a kit on our website. Just click the link for "Create Your Own Kit" and select the products you want.

You might also want to look at dressing the tyres and plastic trim. I would highly recommend it because it will make a massive difference to the overall look of the car when you're finished.

This man knows ^

Joel, I have a light scratch in the clear on one of my doors. I suspect someone's walked past the car and their bag's lightly scuffed against it as they've gone past. The scratch can only be seen from certain angles under certain light (but I know it's there)

Would the Mequiar's compound and Lake Country foam pad you mention above work well for this? Not too abrasive?

Dan

Hey Dan

The Ultimate Compound is quite abrasive when used with a machine. By hand not so much, but still better than other products. It would be a good choice to try.

Thanks mate

Thanks Joel

Lots more info than expected
    Once I get some free time from uni work i'll set up an account and grab a few of those things. Both cars go on dirt roads so cleaning tyres and such is pointless, but the rest looks usefull.
    There still an MPS club discount?

Cheers

Still a discount for members. Just let me know when you register and I'll fix it up.

Well.....I finaly got the time and conscripted my girlfriend to help detail her car today.

Car came up brilliantly with a clean, (skipped clay-barring), compounding, polish, opti-seal & spray-wax, all from ZAS. Thanks for all your help Joel, great service.

Very impressed with the meguires ultimate compound, it worked wonders even on very badly scratched areas, but was never difficult to use or overly abrasive even when used by complete novices.
    I would strongly recoment this product to anyone with any light-moderate scratching (it completly removed the kangaroo-headbut scratches om my MPS too), easy to use, safe, and very effective.

Overall we are both very happy, but have very sore arms from an obsurd amount of cleaning and pollishing today, even without clay-barring.

Got some pics mate, sounds deserving of an upload! lol sore arms...wait until tomorrow haha

might. didn't get any before pics, but looks pretty good for an old-ish car
    arms not as sore as when I detailed the MPS on my own. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post

Very impressed with the meguires ultimate compound, it worked wonders even on very badly scratched areas, but was never difficult to use or overly abrasive even when used by complete novices.
    Yep agree wholeheartedly mate. Found the Megs Ultimate Compound very good at getting out a fair few surface scratches.

Nice work. Would love to see pics

Dan
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

I might have to give the ultimate compound a go as well. How does it compare to prima finish Joel? (Finish managed to get some of the scratches out, but it was alot of work.)

To the op, post some pics up of the finished result!

I just purchased a few products including this ultimate compound also lol.

Will be good to see how it turns out on black.

Quote Originally Posted by SP23HO View Post
    I just purchased a few products including this ultimate compound also lol.

Will be good to see how it turns out on black.
    Prima Products from ZAS will make it look amazing. Deep glossy black! Check my Mazspace for proof....
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Looks amazing Dan!

Only thing i've learnt with a black car is that it doesn't last very long......lets say about half a day lol.

Why can I see pics?

Sent from my rubbish buggy IPhone4 and that Tapatalk thingy.

Hi all, sorry for the delay.
    Here are some photo's in 2 posts. Had to wipe off the copious dust that had settled overnight
    I think the car is a 1993 echo with over 100,000 on the clock and was pretty scratched before we started, now all I can get are photo's of reflections. Compound did wonders
    SP23HO: Given how shiny these are, a black car would be awesome.
    Anyway, here they are...sorry about the wait.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC120173.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	6820Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC120163.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	6819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC120184.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	6818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC120186.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	6817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC120183.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	6816

The random looking pic (no.3) is of my carport roof via the bonnet. You can see the wiper blades on the right hand side. lol.
    Also, love the cloud pic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC120193.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	6824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC120188.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	6823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC120198.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	6822Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC120195.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	6821
    Last edited by Lachlan; 12-12-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Shiney

Turned out really good mate! Nice work, I reckon that could add some decent coin if you were selling and it was being inspected by a potential buyer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast