User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: slammin seconds......... strange noise

1. Default slammin seconds......... strange noise

i have a 2010 mps, and ive got some stuff im ordering thru mps garage which should come this week

but i have a BIG question.

if i go really really hard in first gear up to about 6000rpm on full boost and slam it into 2nd gear to make the front wheels spin.... you can hear a big loud clunky sound coming from under the car.....

option A) this happen to anyone else?

option B) dont try slammin into second gear?

option C) is this to do with the rear engine mount that i read people replacing?

option D) or is there something else???

option A. It happens to everyone. I think it is the linkages in the gear box or something like that, nothing to worry about.

Personally, if i give it some in first i try NOT to slam the crap out of it into 2nd. Its just too hard on it in my opinion.
    Although my car will get driven hard i also have some mechanical sympathy for it.

I can't say I've heard that noise, but I don't do my shifts like that hence why I will never put it on the qtr mile. I tend to get 1st & 2nd & sometimes 3rd out of the way quickly to stop wheel spin over 5000rpm's and let them think they are pulling away and get to 4th as quick as I can.... and that will protect my box and tyres....... But the noise would concern me, I have done some fast high reving changes on ocassions and never noticed any noises.....

Is this more common with Gen 2 or has Gen 1 owners had this noise????????
    Last edited by 240MPS; 10-10-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Yeah it does make this sound and I try and avoid it, did once in the Opera House car park and it sounded like I had gone over a rock lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    Personally, if i give it some in first i try NOT to slam the crap out of it into 2nd. Its just too hard on it in my opinion.
    Although my car will get driven hard i also have some mechanical sympathy for it.
    +1 ^
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

It would most likely be the exhaust hitting the floor. The std exhaust flex flanges are crap.

Buy an engine mount to eliminate most of the problem. You get more torque to the front wheels too.

8. Default

I have noticed a noise like that on my Gen 1. I thought it was something to do with engine being forced to lower revs cause they seem to drop slowly compared to other cars (all N/A) that i've driven. I've recently installed a rear engine mount and it has fixed it for the most part.

A little off topic but just on how slow the revs seem to drop, is that likely be because of the turbo, or a heavy fly wheel? My MPS is my first turbo car so i'm not sure if it would have that kind of effect. Anyone about to confirm/correct me?

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    +1 ^
    +2
    Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    It would most likely be the exhaust hitting the floor. The std exhaust flex flanges are crap.

Buy an engine mount to eliminate most of the problem. You get more torque to the front wheels too.
    or you can do that...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I had a similar issue with the 6 and the new engine mount fixed this problem. I think this video perfectly explains why you get this noise

Quote Originally Posted by Nepharius View Post
    I had a similar issue with the 6 and the new engine mount fixed this problem. I think this video perfectly explains why you get this noise
    that's a scary video...
    hope a rear engine mount fixes that...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

And that's with only 216hp at the wheels, i have over 250hp at the wheels

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    that's a scary video...
    hope a rear engine mount fixes that...
    I imagine it would. Got a 75 Duro on order for just this reason....... you don't realise just how much movement there is though until you see something like that
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

I'm sorry but I find myself wondering who needs 6000rpm and a fast dump into 2nd UNLESS one is trying it on a drag strip or standing 1/4, though it is hard to see the need in most road use. The amount of (various) mount and even box shaft flex under those forces is enormous. I'm a pretty aggressive driver but as with CTON I have a high regard for my mechanicals, and given the way I have my car set up already, rarely see even 5000rpm, and never dump the clutch on it, certainly not with over 200Kw boring through it. It's a pretty flat torque curve up to that, and unless a car has been tweaked, there is little gain in going beyond 5500 anyway.

It's just me, I know.....I prefer to be rolling before I feed that sort of grunt in. And I have 4 wheels to distribute it through - Christ knows how those CV joints and shafts fare when it's all going through only the two front wheels! Be prepared to hear the distinctive crackling sound of spalled ball bearings in the CV's (among other imminent failures) if you keep that up.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

I'd be researching some broken gearbox threads on various MPS/Mazdaspeed forums. Will be needing them soon.

I think putting a harder engine mount won't help. It sort of will, but if you keep driving like that, instead of the engine mount absorbing the pressure then acting as a sacrifisial lamb and braking, something else, something much more expensive will brake.

I have no idea why you would feel the need to drive like that on public streets. There is no need for it

Quote Originally Posted by mpsmps View Post
    i have a 2010 mps, and ive got some stuff im ordering thru mps garage which should come this week

but i have a BIG question.

if i go really really hard in first gear up to about 6000rpm on full boost and slam it into 2nd gear to make the front wheels spin.... you can hear a big loud clunky sound coming from under the car.....

option A) this happen to anyone else?

option B) dont try slammin into second gear?

option C) is this to do with the rear engine mount that i read people replacing?

option D) or is there something else???
    do you have ur DSC turned off? or left on?

I always thought it was just the traction control trying to get to grips with wat ur doing, no pun intended try doing the same thing with DSC off and i bet u dont get that knocking sound...
    --- CPe DP + Custom 3" Stainless CBE --- Turbo Timer --- CPe CAI --- Turbo XS BPV --- CPe 75 Duro Rear Engine Mount --- 2XS SSP ---

You dont need 6k anyway... change earlier
    The engine mount should help, Mine used to bang around alot and most of this was resolved by upgrading.

Though, I would be lying if I didnt say I hadnt taken it to ~5500 quite a few times... I doubt there is anyone here that has not at least once!

Guys... he never said he did it on the road.. please stay on topic.
    Last edited by Jmac; 12-10-2010 at 12:24 PM.

It's not what he's doing, it's HOW he's doing it, or at very least the way it's described.

"slammin second" WILL result in problems.
    And that's true in any normal standard road car.
    Changing normally (read gently) should not do any damage, no matter what rpm is reached before and after.

Of course, if you're really concerned, suggest you take your friendly Mazda Service Advisor for a drive.

Clearly, he will advise what you are doing wrong.

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    I'm sorry but I find myself wondering who needs 6000rpm and a fast dump into 2nd
    My normal shift point is 6000 :\

You people and your cylinders witchcraft

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast