User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: slammin seconds......... strange noise

Hmmm, given that most mods simply up the torque and Kw rather than extend the rpm range (unless one has rebuilt, lightened, blueprinted and balanced the engine), then while I accept that improved breathing certainly helps achieve the high rpm registers more easily, the useable power range of the car remains pretty much in the 3000 - 5500rpm range (and I suppose 6000 would be an acceptable upper change limit under duress). This is probably why some tweaked engines have blown up too. These motors, even stock, turn out a surprising amount of torque from low rpm and keep the curve damn flat until it falls off after around 5000 - 5500. I think many blow-ups are a legacy of repeated high torque loadings from relatively low rpms, eventually leading to a failing rod. Tweaking the engines is simply upping the torque and hence engine loadings, especially if one habitually pulls hard from low rpm in higher gears. On that, while I find the car pulls like no tomorrow from relatively low speeds in almost any gear, I've found that mine is much happier if I keep it spinning faster than has been my usual habit, certainly over 2500 and more realistically around 3000, and I find it tends to handle all the boost air better too, with fewer instances of low engine speed compressor stall.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Lardy drives an RX8 .

Quote Originally Posted by Lardman View Post
    My normal shift point is 6000 :\

You people and your cylinders witchcraft
    Stop tainting our engine talk with your rotary nonsense...

Sorry, but my 6000 wasn't referrring to his 6000 !! ;-)

5. Default

240MPS: I dont want nothing to do with the qtr mile either I will copy the rhythm of your shifts too, I dont want to be changing boxes or tyres either

Logan: Its a very scary noise isnt it. It does sound like you have gone over a rock. I thought the whole set up.. wasnt set up anymore!
    ...and like you I will avoid it.

2XS: Ive got a CP-E 60 engine mount on its way from MPS Garage. But the sound was LOUDER than my exhaust hitting the underneath of my car, as loud as the loudest that could be

Chard: Revs should drop with a heavy foot my friend, maybe you need new shoes

Sarcastic One: Im figuring I should NOT change the exhaust mounts, thanks for your advise, i mean... ahem.. smile

Nepharius: I want to buy a box of engine mounts and gve them to Mazda for xmas because of that clip

Doug_MPS6: I feel as though I offended you with my post... im sorry seriously though I do realise what is under pressure under these kinds of forces. but for me it is more of a 'why cant i' instead of a 'i know i shouldnt'.... I DO KNOW i shouldn't and i will not do it anymore... BUT the WHY CAN'T I DO THAT without that sound occurring is my problem right now..

bd581: "slammin second" was the name of the thread, thats not how I drive. all I want to know is why there is a sound. I have done it a couple times now, first accidental, second experimental..

3mpsblack: DSC was turned off at the time of the incident

Jmac: I will change earlier.. i Mean I do change earlier and yeah I never said I did it on the road either... thanks for backing me up

PostmanDan: I did take it to friendly Mazda and I did tell them about, the loud noise changing gears, but I didnt tell him about "THE LOUD NOISE CHANGING GEARS" if you know what i mean lol

************************************************** ****************************

guys, please dont get me wrong, i didnt spend over $45k to come on a forum and say "hey guys look what i can do",

i spent the money caz i love the car, and of course i want it to last!

it was a case that i was taking off somewhere once and changed gears high in the range quickly when i first heard all those clunky clunky sounds, i freaked out...

told mazda when i was getting the 10k service and they said no theres no problem, although i said it was about 5000 and i didnt say how quick i shifted.... mazda said there was no problem...

I have done this another two times since then just to double check the noises are still there.. and they are. (i dont like this)

I have driven a lot of sh*t cars over the years and I have absolutely raped them because they are sh*t cars.. (poppin 2nds and doing burnouts)

Spending a considerably large amount of money this MPS and im not rich thats a lot of money for me, and its my first ever brand new car - I do baby it, wash it polish it, look after it, warm it up, cool it down, sit there and drink a beer and stare at it, as for once in my life I waited to buy a nice car, and i think i have done a f#%kin great job waitin for so long for something so good.... as with all the other mazda enthusiasts on this forum...

SCENARIO: I DIDNT DUMP THE CLUTCH IN FIRST GEAR.... I TOOK OFF NORMALLY AND CHANGED TO 2ND VERY QUICKLY AT HIGH RPM....... THATS WHEN THE LOUD SOUND HAPPENED......

why can you do this in other cars and it does a burnout?
    why cant you do this in an MPS (not like im going to do it again), without sounding like its going to collapse?

its a brand new, heavy duty, technological setup.. thats the main reason its troubling why cant I have this as an option without the damaging sound....

I have heard a slight 'donk' on changes, but I tend to feed a bit of throttle between up and down shifts while im pumping some curry into it to try and stop the engine bucking like a wild bull.
    Might just take some time to get used to it

7. Default

i have some stuff that should arrive from MPS garage in a couple days... I have a CP-E CAI, a CP-E pre filter and a CP-E 60 duro engine mount... I can not wait to throttle difference with these parts!

then I am going to try to above one more time with these parts in, and hopefully just hopefully that sound has been eliminated... then i will be satisfied

Fit the engine mount and CAI a few days apart from each other. That way you can feel the difference each part brings you.

I still think the engine mount will eliminate teh noise you are hearing.

9. Default

which part do you reckon i should do first??

do one this weekend and the other next weekend? or more further apart

MPSMPS, no, no offence taken or intended - I was just curious and speaking generally, but thanks for following up :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mpsmps View Post
    which part do you reckon i should do first??

do one this weekend and the other next weekend? or more further apart
    My suggestion would be the engine mount first for reasons Troy (2XS) states above ^
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 13-10-2010 at 11:27 AM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

it's all good mpsmps
    we like our cars here and we arent going to be offended by you discussing issues with them
    i doubt anyone here could say they are a perfect car... even less so straight out of the factory...
    we arent here to jump down your throat when you point out flaws, we're more than happy to help you solve your issues
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

13. Default

caffiene fiend - the engine mount will go on first

terrible day at the office, was looking out the window all day hoping the courier driver would be bringing a big box of my parts... maybe they will arrive tomoro..

otherwise if they dont... i wouldnt have done much this week lol

14. Default

Tracking summary: 14/10/10 06:28 Onboard with driver ALEXANDRIA PDC

My stuff is coming this morning, i know it!!! YAY for mE

Maybe you should try the TWM complete short shifter replacement next?

Been trying to get a review from a Australian user for a while.

16. Default

hahahaha so u want me to try it first

I finally got my CP-E CAI and CP-E engine mount that just arrived earlier....

it has an Oiled Air Filter in the box....

I was hoping to get a dry one, but i didn't mention anything when i placed the order.

Anyone have an oiled filter? Shall I just put it on? Are they good/better/same?

Quote Originally Posted by mpsmps View Post
    hahahaha so u want me to try it first
    Hahaha, well....if you put it that way...

Then Yes!

Oil Vs Dry. Much of a muchness. Personal opinion.

Unless you live in Victoria in which case it is illegal to use an oiled filter. Of course how often someone is going to remove panels from your car to check this is probably few and far between, but fair warning.

20. Default

okayyyyy so the CP-E engine mount is now in the car..... WOW!!!!!!!!!!

the car actually really hammers now

its amazing what difference the mount actually makes

10 days till the dry filter comes from MPS Garage (coming from overseas), and then i will whack the CAI in straight away

for the record...... yes I did try popping seconds again... and that clucky sound is still there.. (dont want to diagnose it or do it again).

ONE MORE TIME: THE CAR FREAKIN FLIES... ONLY GOT A TURBOSMART DUAL PORT BOV AND A CP-E 60 DURO MOUNT INSTALLED ATM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast