User Tag List

Thread: Audi quattro concept celebrates 30th Anniversary of Original

Default Audi quattro concept celebrates 30th Anniversary of Original

We've been speculating, applying the magnifying glass to spy shots and just plain wishing that the rumors were true. They are – Audi is set to debut the Quattro concept car at the Paris Motor Show in celebration of its famous all-wheel-drive system's 30th anniversary. Drawing its inspiration from the original 1980 Audi Ur-Quattro and using some underpinnings from the current RS5, the Quattro concept features a shortened wheelbase, lower roofline and a sub-3,000 pound curb weight.

The original Ur-Quattro weighed in under 3,000 pounds and featured a turbocharged five-cylinder engine paired with a five-speed manual. Keeping in line with that spirit, the Quattro concept ditches the V8 and dual-clutch transmission from the RS5 in favor of a turbocharged inline five-cylinder engine and six-speed manual gearbox. Power output for the Quattro concept is rated at 408 horsepower and 354 pound-feet of torque. All that energy is put to the ground through Audi's famous quattro torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive system, which in this case is setup with a 40:60 rear-biased torque split. The weight savings mixed with the power output create a vehicle with a power-weight ratio on par with that of the Audi R8 5.2 FSI.

Since this IS a modern Audi, it features stylish exterior features and a wonderful cabin space. The seats are leather-lined Sparco units that weight in at just 40 pounds apiece. The Quattro concept also makes use of the Audi MMI infotainment system. In this application, MMI includes a slew of screens useful for rally racing like classically-styled round gauges and a page for pace notes. On the outside, the Quattro concept boasts the signature Audi LED treatment, but this time it's in the form of headlamps that adjust their direction both vertically and horizontally, as well as being able to open fully or close to a slit.

This is an exciting concept that pays homage to a true motoring classic. If Audi doesn't find a way to put a version of this into production, we're sure that four-ring fanboys around the world will storm Ingolstadt.

Link to Paris 2010 Motor Show article and images

Paris 2010: Audi Quattro Concept celebrates 30 years of performance — Autoblog

[Source: autoblog]
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Who else already says "ENUF!!!!!" to LEDs? I know I am over them.

Leon

Dont get me wrong, I think Audi make some nice cars, just over the LEDs is all. Drove beside/behind an A5 Quattro for quite a while on the F3 last week, couldnt take my eyes off it. That is one BEAUTIFUL motor car.
    Last edited by Velocity Red; 07-10-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: ... just to clarify...

3. Default

im over them on other cars but in my mind they are purely an audi thing like angel eyes are bmw thing.

Love audi

I'm a huge fan of the original Quattro. It set the bar for AWD performance cars. It also rekindled Audi's flame, both financially and, I believe, emotionally.

Every AWD Audi owes it's roots to this car.

If I was to ever to do Targa, it would be in one of these, so I'm happy that Audi are paying it homage.
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 07-10-2010 at 07:52 AM.

Looks like the front of an Evo!

I wanna buy it dinner and try to get it into bed...

Quote Originally Posted by boags View Post
    i'l buy the drinks

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    i'l buy the drinks
    sorry dude sword fighting isn't my thing...

Quote Originally Posted by boags View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    i'l buy the drinks
    Can I come too
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Theres 4 vacantancys remember it is a quattro