User Tag List

Thread: Hero Tyres?.... Has anyone tried these?

1. Unhappy Hero Tyres?.... Has anyone tried these?

I know the tyre issue has been around, but I've been shopping around today and half the salesmen have highly recommended the HERO's 225 45 18.
    I was looking around for a decent deal (quality at a good price) and have came across some really good prices but none in stock or all sold out

Some of the prices I've been quoted are:

Falken - $225
    Kuhmo - $199
    Nankang - $185
    Hero - $150

I'm not in the best financial situation as hubby has been out of work for a month now therefore I have to be a little careful budget wise.

I was tempted to go to either Kuhmo or the Falken but none are available and I have to wait, no time given! Maybe I'll try other suppliers and ask if they can match the price.

Even tho I'm nowhere convinced yet about the Hero I would like to know if anyone has used them before. Or are all these SALESMEM just doing their jobs?

Thanks in advance
    Adriana

I have Falkens FK452 There OK starting to get noisey after 20k's don't like them on the track didn't have the same confidence in the wet as the bridgestones... My say.... But I am running 235/40/18's now on bigger rims..... sometimes that can affect how the car handles from stock to ??????

Hero Milanza HZ1

After more research I have found they are the budget brand Federals...made in same place.

Happy Motoring
    duglet
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    I have Falkens FK452 There OK starting to get noisey after 20k's don't like them on the track didn't have the same confidence in the wet as the bridgestones... My say.... But I am running 235/40/18's now on bigger rims..... sometimes that can affect how the car handles from stock to ??????
    I have found running a sticky set of toyo's proxes 235/40/18 the car does tend to move when the camber on the road changes, can be quite a hand full esp of a night in the twisties with camber changing on the road. found them changing direction of the car quickly when i was driving on the putty road esp when u turn and the camber changes. have to be on the ball!! great hold tho when u throw it in hard
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    I have Falkens FK452 There OK starting to get noisy after 20k's don't like them on the track didn't have the same confidence in the wet as the bridgestones... My say.... But I am running 235/40/18's now on bigger rims..... sometimes that can affect how the car handles from stock to ??????
    Thanks Rino, I'm leaning towards the falkens so far as the Hero despite the name don't inspire confidence.
    How many Ks did you get so far out of the Falkens?
    I'm still on stock size and every time I shop around for tyres I'm tempted to change the rims as well, but right now the budget won't allow

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by duglet View Post
    Hero Milanza HZ1

After more research I have found they are the budget brand Federals...made in same place.

Happy Motoring
    duglet
    Thanks Doug

Hi Adriana, I'm on about 22,000k's and getting a little noisey but with track use and cruises I've noticed on the 235's the inside fronts have worn uneven compared to the bridgestones but i'm not sure if it's the 215's to 235's or if it's the tyre brand, I guess I'll find out when I replace them before Bathurst in Feb...

Not sure if I could put up with HERO embossed on my sidewalls!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Not sure if I could put up with HERO embossed on my sidewalls!
    I have to agree with you!!!

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

While on the subject two salesmen have pointed out that I could use 235 40 18 on the stock rims...?
    Has anyone used this size? I'm a little uncomfortable but if it was ok to use, there's a larger range to chose from and better value as well!

You cant put 235's on a 7" rim...it has to be 7.5" wide or larger.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    You cant put 235's on a 7" rim...it has to be 7.5" wide or larger.
    That's what I thought...
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 6_MPS View Post
    That's what I thought...
    Thanks
    You CAN do it (right jmac) whether or not you SHOULD do it is another matter entirely...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 6_MPS View Post
    I have to agree with you!!!

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

While on the subject two salesmen have pointed out that I could use 235 40 18 on the stock rims...?
    Has anyone used this size? I'm a little uncomfortable but if it was ok to use, there's a larger range to chose from and better value as well!
    Check the tyre's specifications. The manufacturers publish the minimum rim width to suit. The only 235/40 that can fit to a 7.5" rim that I've seen is Federal SS595, and even then variations such as SS595EVO require an 8" rim. You might be able to fit them to 7.5", but they are NOT WARRANTABLE - i.e. the manufacturer would not honor warranty on the tyre if they knew it was fitted so, and in that case, whether you are roadworthy is debatable.

Tyre shops will not always give you good data on this. Check the specs yourself, and you can't go wrong. 235/40 on 18x7.5" is generally not warrantable with only a small number of exceptions. 235/40 on 18x7" would just be silly. You might be able to, but you're stressing the tyre in ways it wasn't made to be stressed.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

What Nexus said +1
    Some shops wont even fit 235's on stock rims despite customers telling them that they know of the risks.

Another one to consider if u want to go on stock size (i assume the 6 is the same as the Gen 1 MPS3) are the sumitomos HTZIII which someone quoted me at around $230 a corner in 215/45/18 if i wasnt mistaken. Good decent tyres with good grip in the dry and decent in the wet (i'm using the 225/45/18 version). slightly less road noise too i reckon (or I may be getting deaf )

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    You CAN do it (right jmac) whether or not you SHOULD do it is another matter entirely...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    Bahh.. Ive had no issues. The place fitted it without any problems.
    Warranty on a tyre? I doubt anyone has ever made a successful claim with that...
    As for legality.. Not my problem - I didnt ask if they were legal, I just asked for the make and model of tyre, Ive had RT615s on for ~40k with no issues.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Bahh.. Ive had no issues. The place fitted it without any problems.
    Warranty on a tyre? I doubt anyone has ever made a successful claim with that...
    As for legality.. Not my problem - I didnt ask if they were legal, I just asked for the make and model of tyre, Ive had RT615s on for ~40k with no issues.
    Not saying it's likely to be a problem. But I would suggest that if I was an insurance assessor and saw this fitment while assessing damage resulting from a blowout and loss of control (that might have nothing to do with the tyre size) - I would deny your claim on the spot. Some insurance might deny the claim just because the know it's a dodge fitment if the notice it. We could argue about the likelyhoods, and granted they are probably low. Nevertheless, not a risk I'm willing to take.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

done 225/40 on my stock rims twice

Now have 235/40 on my CX7 rims (7.5) and no probs

So these companies can recommend all they like...but after driving 110000kms on these so called wrong sizes...i have no problems ever.

Why waste money on expensive sizes that mazda only use.....silly.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duglet View Post
    done 225/40 on my stock rims twice
    Now have 235/40 on my CX7 rims (7.5) and no probs
    So these companies can recommend all they like...but after driving 110000kms on these so called wrong sizes...i have no problems ever.
    Why waste money on expensive sizes that mazda only use.....silly.
    Happy Motoring
    duglet
    Certainly this is true (stupid costs for stupid tyre sizes). I've seriously considered 235/40 on my 7.5 rims; ultimately I'm just being more conservative than most and sticking to the letter of the law, so to speak. While I would briefly consider dismissing the warrantable vs unwarrantable status of 235/40 on 7.5" rims, I wouldn't put 235/40 on 7" rims in a screaming fit. Engineering wise, I can't help but see that as asking for trouble. A 10% failure rate of such fitments (arbitrary example) means you might not see the problem until you've done it 10 times, but if your luck is poor, you might be the poor bastard who sees it blow out the first time, smash yourself and your vehicle up and have insurance denied.

Locally we had a police action against a driver who experienced a blowout and people died. Police took the action stating that although he was not speeding when the blowout occurred he had been very significantly speeding a short time earlier, and that this had contributed to the blowout. Ultimately this portion of the action against the driver was thrown out after serious consideration, however, it is worthy of note that had the tyre size been unwarrantable, the driver would have been far more likely to be held fully liable. An unwarrantable tyre size is hard evidence that would warrant the action to proceed.