User Tag List

Thread: First Drive - Mazda3

Default First Drive - Mazda3

Mazda 3 1.6 MZ-CD

Is three the magic number for Mazda?

By Jack Rix
    January 2009

It’s impossible to overstate the importance of this car for the Japanese manufacturer – not only is it the firm’s best-selling model worldwide, but it’s entering the ring with UK favourites like the Ford Focus and classy MkVI Golf.

As with its predecessor, the 3 shares its underpinnings with the Focus – known for its sublime chassis. Mazda has also achieved what other manufacturers find so difficult. Just like the latest 2 and 6, this incarnation weighs less than the last – up to 15kg to be exact – while still offering more generous dimensions, better interior space and more standard kit for your money.

It looks good too. Most significant changes have occurred at the front of the car, where a new, more expressive face smiles back at you. RX-8 style lights, as well as the larger side air intakes with neatly integrated fog lamps, give the car a sportier look than its predecessor. Elsewhere the creased body panels resemble the Mazda6’s styling, but distilled into a hatchback shape. Overall, it’s an eye-catching design, but considering the platform is little more than a tightened and stiffened version of the old car’s underpinnings, it could have been more adventurous to make it stand out from the crowd.

Mazda has never been shy about the fact that driving dynamics, or the ‘Zoom-Zoom’ philosophy, are high of its list of priorities. And it shines through the moment you get behind the wheel. The steering is crisp and loads up nicely under cornering - offering feedback from the front wheels – while it feels grippy and composed in the bends. Changing gear is notchy and precise, as we’ve come to expect from Mazda and every engine has been tuned to offer a sporty soundtrack, too.

But the real surprise is the level of refinement and comfort, despite the agile character of the car. Mazda claim a six to eleven per cent reduction in road noise, and it’s true. Wind flutter and road roar are virtually non-existent, while the suspension absorbs bumps like a sponge and offers decent body-control on the move.

It’s a shame that the interior can’t live up to the quality of the driving experience though. A lot of thought has gone into the cabin layout – positioning the tiny navigation and trip computer screen high on the dash Honda Civic-style, so your eyes don’t have to stray far from the road – but it’s a button-fest that feels old-fashioned already, and the quality of the new Golf’s interior puts it to shame.

There’s a new range of more powerful and economical direct-injection petrol and diesel engines to choose from. Our test car was fitted with 1.6-diesel producing 107bhp and 240Nm of torque, while emitting 119g/km of CO2 and returning 63mpg. And on the winding roads of our test-route it was no slouch, delivering its torque low down in the rev range for effortless progress.

The Mazda3 has always been somewhat anonymous in the UK, despite being a genuinely entertaining car to drive. Lets hope Mazda has done enough to ensure this talented all-rounder gets the recognition it deserves.

Rival: VW Golf
    Picking up where the old model left off, the new Golf offers polished dynamics, but has upped its game significantly in terms of build quality and luxury. Innovative TSI petrol engines, economical diesels and the option of a DSG gearbox make the Golf more desirable than ever.

Source: Autoexpress
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_300344_25.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_300345_25.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_300346_25.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_300348_25.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	273  
    Last edited by duglet; 30-01-2009 at 08:38 PM.

2. Default

But the real surprise is the level of refinement and comfort, despite the agile character of the car. Mazda claim a six to eleven per cent reduction in road noise, and it’s true. Wind flutter and road roar are virtually non-existent, while the suspension absorbs bumps like a sponge and offers decent body-control on the move.
    Road noise reduction = Different tyres and some sound deadening spray.... whoop-de-do

Dont like the 1 piece dash... where can I put my tripple gauge podz?

Blog Entries

Yeah I'm a bit wigged out by the interior.

I hope they do something slightly different with the MPS.

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    Yeah I'm a bit wigged out by the interior.

I hope they do something slightly different with the MPS.
    The interior pictured has leather and Bose speakers, would it be the SP23 maybe?

I can't get over the front of the car, it looks like it's giving a huge, tooth-less grin!

hmmm maybe Mazda can add some teeth?

Hopefully MPS will look tougher!

6. Default

I like the dash on that more than the current model (which I really, really don't like).

Will be interesting to see when it comes out, hell if the GTI starts to get the rattles that everyone seems to speak of I might even have to "cross grade" depending what the MKIV is like of course...

at the mo from the pics, i dont like i, i rekon its going to grow on me as have to accept a newwer version, but my babys still the bestest!!!

Hmm, the front just looks a little too...Japanese for me. It just looks way to happy.

Quote Originally Posted by MPSMatt View Post
    Hmm, the front just looks a little too...Japanese for me. It just looks way to happy.
    Like i said, it looks like a BIIIIG SMILE!

I reckon some custom grill with gnarly teeth or something would look mean...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EVILMPS View Post
    Like i said, it looks like a BIIIIG SMILE!

I reckon some custom grill with gnarly teeth or something would look mean...
    It's not a 300C Pimped Ride
    Not Gone...just "busy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino
    It's not blue screen of death Kent, it's Auora Blue screen of death

It's not a 300C Pimped Ride
    Yes, but it could be!!!
    Put on some spinner-caps, Hy-droz, mexican blanket...

Blog Entries

so doing up a photoshop....

so doing up a photoshop....
    Do it dude!
    I would, but don't know how to use Photoshop...bit technologically inept...

Sigh... bubble lights... i have hated that feature on the Camry for many years.... i like the shape and look but why do they have to protrude so far from the car.... surprisingly nice looking rear... not keen on the front. Gaping hillbilly mouth with no teeth look again.

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Also noted it has the same falt as the new 6... "WHY DOES THE PASSENGER NEED THE HANDBREAK" FFS thats so dum... that was the 1 major reason i got my 07 MPS6 vers the new sports 6..... AHH mazda what have you done
    Latool- far from normal