User Tag List

Thread: Paint Chip Repairs/Fixing?

Default Paint Chip Repairs/Fixing?

Hi guys,

So i've finally gotten over some rock chips in my front bar until i found out today that the plastic bit in between the drivers side windows on the exterior side of the door has a chip about 3mm big Its annoying the hell outta me because i can see the paint on the bottom CB paint + black = very obvious!

Just wondering has anyone ever got this? :S (Its such a odd place to have it, im not sure how it got there)

Is this fixable? If so, how to... or.. Would i need to replace the whole plastic part? If so, is this covered under warranty @ Mazda? If not, how much is it gonna set me back?

Cheers!

Default Chip? Fixing?

Hi guys,

So i've finally gotten over some rock chips in my front bar until i found out today that the plastic bit in between the drivers side windows on the exterior side of the door has a chip about 3mm big Its annoying the hell outta me because i can see the paint on the bottom CB paint + black = very obvious!

Just wondering has anyone ever got this? :S (Its such a odd place to have it, im not sure how it got there)

Is this fixable? If so, how to... or.. Would i need to replace the whole plastic part? If so, is this covered under warranty @ Mazda? If not, how much is it gonna set me back?

Cheers!

not sure what part your talking about here???
    If your talking about the window frame its a black decal thats made up of a few sections. i think youd buy it as a kit for whatever window frame is damaged. they are made up of 3 decals per frame.
    They are not that cheap either.
    thats if we're talking about the same section here......
    No warranty here either.
    someone could of hit it with something in a car park for all youd know.

I hope we're talking about the same thing? I've attached a photo lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chip.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	5764  

Is that what u mean Cton? Yea it seems like such an odd place to have a chip :S and its small but visible... and its right near the "inner" part where the rubber seals contact...

yeah mate thats a decal over the top of the paint.

Oh really? So correct me if i'm wrong but for some reason when i think of decals, i think of the equivalent stuff of "stickers" but like a hardcore industrial version? So if thats the case then theres no way to save or fix this? Apart from replacing new ones?

Quote Originally Posted by 3MPSPWR View Post
    I hope we're talking about the same thing? I've attached a photo lol
    I hate vandals. Especially the ones who paint arrows on cars, and a bad one at that. At least point it forward, give it a sense of speed. Good luck ;-p
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

9. Default

Maybe it serves me right for buying a red car but there are far too many little paint chips on the bonnett for a car with 4000kms city based on it for my liking. It it just crappy or over engineered paint???

Quote Originally Posted by prettyredmps View Post
    Maybe it serves me right for buying a red car but there are far too many little paint chips on the bonnett for a car with 4000kms city based on it for my liking. It it just crappy or over engineered paint???
    Yea, mine has that too Finally got over those in the front bar and bonnet and then this happens!! I think roads in Aust are just s**t in general... I dunno where ur from but Brisbane roads are just plain horrible, worse after a rain has been through... Instead of busting people for speeding, the government should invest in some nicer roads like europe especially in city areas! -_-

11. Default

Sydney-rubbish roads but generally I drive on good ones.

12. Default

don't think the colour matters. i got aluminium colour, and have an arseload of stone chips on the front. even have them up next to the bonnet scoop. probably from driving on the m7 every day with the trucks firing them at me left, right and centre.

I had the clear protection film added to my bumper and bonnet after 2 weeks when I got my first stone chip.
    Apparenly as the paint is now water based it's a lot softer.

Bur very happy with the film. Probably not for those that like to polish their cars a lot but great for stone chip protection.

Was stuck behind a Porsche GT3 in traffic this morning. We both peeled off to turn left and as he did the mongrel gave it the beans and his massive soft rear tyres absolutely peppered my car with stones.

Have a nice nick in my windscreen now too.....
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 06-10-2010 at 10:36 AM.

In regards to the stone chip on the door frame area, I believe that is a stick on type of trim that can be purchased through a Mazda dealer s/parts.
    Not sure how easy it comes off but led to believe it's held on with a 3M based tape. Maybe call into your local Dealer and the service guys and ask for a quote to replace if it's anoying you.

Ive racked up 30,000km in the past 12 months and I must say im quite happy my bonnet has mayb 2 or 3 stone chips.

Most of my driving is done on the m5 during work days. 100km return trip

However, I noticed this nasty slash on my right side skirt..its quite clean and goes at an angle, I have no idea what woudlve caused it!

Will take a photo of it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by In Black View Post
    In regards to the stone chip on the door frame area, I believe that is a stick on type of trim that can be purchased through a Mazda dealer s/parts.
    Not sure how easy it comes off but led to believe it's held on with a 3M based tape. Maybe call into your local Dealer and the service guys and ask for a quote to replace if it's anoying you.
    Ah! Thanks for that! So it is kinda like a "sticker" type stuff... I'd imagine its gonna cost... I'm going into Mazda soon anyway i may as well ask them guys. Cheers!!

Quote Originally Posted by In Black View Post
    No, its not a trim. Its a black sticker, I assure you.
    Youll also need to pull the mould off the top of the door as the decals go underneath it. I dont recommend trying to get this off your self. its held on with clips that will break if its not done correct.
    Last edited by Cton; 07-10-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3MPSPWR View Post
    Ah! Thanks for that! So it is kinda like a "sticker" type stuff... I'd imagine its gonna cost... I'm going into Mazda soon anyway i may as well ask them guys. Cheers!!
    Hey Eddie, sorry to hear about this!! As the victim of a carpark hit and run, I know how frustratingly infuriating it is when other people damage your car!!

Iknow it's a different part but just to give you an idea on cost, I had 4 of the rubber seals that sit up against the windows replaced on mine because a certain tint place decided to burn them with the heat gun when tinting my car, then hack away at one - God knows why - maybe they stupidly thought I wouldn't notice. The bill from Mazda for 4 of these seals was $405.00. I'm hoping you get out of it a bit cheaper than that!!!

Fingers crossed for you mate

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Have a nice nick in my windscreen now too.....

I have a couple of those in my windscreen too now . Stone chips are pretty frustrating, most of mine have occured on cruises. Love the cruises - hate the stone chips. I have a couple on the lower part of the bonnet that is plastic, so the black underneath really stands out. Have the paint, just have to get off my lazy arse and fix them!!!
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS