User Tag List

Thread: Service and Mod install considerations

Blog Entries

Default Service and Mod install considerations

About to do a 100K service and have a few mods installed and adjusted.
    Currently have CPE/HKS BPV and 3.5" ETS TMIC and am fabricating a new shroud because the ETS one sat 10mm too close to the firewall trim, and is 10mm too short at the front, causing some minor wear to the bonnet ducting trim.

Parts to be installed are (a) turbo inlet and (b) turbo manifold (c) adjust CPE/HKS BPV and recirc hose.

Had a quick chat to allstar and they have suggested pre-emptively servicing the turbo, as there is an expectation that although I've had no smoke (seals etc), at an arbitrary ~150,000K can expect it to need servicing, and the manifold could potentially accelerate that.

Is there anyone on a stocker turbo past 150,000K ?

50,000K is 12 months and more down the track for me, so I am inclined to take the risk that it could go sooner. I still have some warranty, although presumably mazda would not be thrilled with a turbo warranty claim if there's an after-market manifold bolted up.

Just wondering what feedback those in the know would give on the labor involved for a turbo manifold and turbo inlet install (big job?), recommendation re: pre-emptive turbo service (I'd be inclined to try and find a low K spare OEM that someone has replaced and swap out rather than a reconditioned/modified turbo at this time)

Other recommendations be interested in too.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Last week I installed a DP and was going to pre-emptively replace the turbo at the same time for the same reason as you. Having considered all the options, I arrived at only one choice that made sense to me and that was to purchase a BNR stage 1 turbo from the US.

Ultimately I didn't replace the turbo because I decided to just wait until it started to smoke. But when it does smoke I will get the BNR unit.

Reason being that a reco or new KO4 will still suffer from the same design flaws and will eventually smoke again. The BNR uses a different core with more bearing area for better support of the turbo shaft. It's a genuine bolt-on solution with full compatibility with existing fittings. It's very reasonably priced and there are positive reviews on US forums. Another positive is that it's not a "bigger" turbo in the sense that you don't loose throttle response and driveability to gain a top-end improvement.

I see it as a modification to eliminate the dodgy turbo seals, that comes with the bonus of better performance.
    Last edited by kmh001; 09-10-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Gone to Volvo

Mal, as I posted on site http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/dyno-...tml#post133789

Hmmmmm! I could be interested in one of those turbos (BNR). I'd wait until mine showed signs of death first. I'll only go for direct bolt on stuff, as I have neither time nor inclination to re-engineer things to suit when bolt-on is available and someone else has done all the dev work. Thanks for the link. The AUD/USD relationship is looking good for it right now too.

Maybe we can order a job lot!!
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Maybe we can order a job lot!!
    I'll be in that. But we need to find a way around the core exchange requirement.

Blog Entries

I've sent an enquiry as to pricing for non-exchange purchase...

Blog Entries

An additional $300 for the core. So that's ...$1250 US replacement turbo. With more, and more robust. I like; giving this some serious thought.
    Haven't asked about a group buy. I imagine there'd be some reluctance to do a large run without exchange cores.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    I imagine there'd be some reluctance to do a large run without exchange cores.
    Quite possibly.

I won't be in a hurry for a new turbo unless I start smoking.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    An additional $300 for the core. So that's ...$1250 US replacement turbo. With more, and more robust. I like; giving this some serious thought.
    Haven't asked about a group buy. I imagine there'd be some reluctance to do a large run without exchange cores.
    Could that not be done with "reverse exchange"? Pay the $300 extra upfront to be refunded when the core is returned?

Leon
    Started out with nothing Still got most of it left

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Red View Post
    Could that not be done with "reverse exchange"? Pay the $300 extra upfront to be refunded when the core is returned?

Leon
    Can't hurt to ask
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Blog Entries

Group Buy pricing : Stage 1 $900, Stage 2 $1050, Stage 3 $1100. Core charge $200 instead of 300.

thats bloody good pricing with the dollar the way it is right now.

That's such a good price I'm tempted to get one and put it on the shelf untill I need it. If someone want's to organise a GB count me in.

thats bloody cheap!!!!!!!!!!

I'd also be interested.

I have been researching BNR for a while & checking other forums & this guy really knows hi Shit!

Keep me posted.

Cheers

Sam