User Tag List

Thread: DATSUN 1200 ute - Looking at buying as a daily. Anyone owned one before?

Default DATSUN 1200 ute - Looking at buying as a daily. Anyone owned one before?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	datsun.jpg 
Views:	615 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	5720

Hi Peoples, we're looking at this (not this one exactly, pretty cool though!) model as an option as a daily/dump run/landscaping transport.

Have any of you fine members owned one and what kind of issues have you had with it.

I see quite a few modded with twin cam motors and turbos. Staying well clear of those.

We've found a nice clean stock example that has had a good refresh for $5500.

Anyway, any thoughts very welcome. Will be good to leave the Red Bull under cover during the week and save the k's (and the Opti-Coat going on next week). I'm already on 24,000km's and only had the car a year!!!

Thanks.
    Brad

Used to drive one years ago. Had wide wheels on it, lifted at the back with little bull bars on the front. Was bright red. Almost had a "General Lee" look about it.

Fun little toy to drive, was like a go kart. I'm a big guy and my mates said I looked hilarious driving it. Was so easy to work on, ran on the smell of an oily rag. Took a paddock beating and kept going. I'd love to have another one.

As long as it's not rusty i reckon you should do it
    Last edited by darkness; 04-10-2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: spelling.
    Owner of the Mutant Gen I.

Ta Darkness. That's the point. I'm going through ALOT of oily rags with the MPS. I do about $70 in fuel every week to 10 days (I blame the new exhaust)

They do look pretty simple to work on which is the idea. Less k's on the MPS means less servicing also.

Lastly we don't have a second car, so this will be my beast also while the wife goes off to Rollar Derby!

Bit of a story.....

I was working with dad once at a VET (new building - doing the electrics, he's an electrician) and we heard what sounded like a worked commodore/falcon revving. It sounded awesome really! So we dropped our tools and walked outside like homers nose leading him towards a doughnut. To our surprise it was a Datsun 1200 with a highly worked V8. It was just idling too (we thought it was a commo revving up! lol) He reversed it on the road and gave a test run. Put his foot down and his head hit the back of the seat and is launched off the line. Had a chat to the guy and it's actually a 9 second car!! I went home and changed my pants and went back to finish the electrical work at the VET.

And they all lived happily ever after

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Love the 1200 Utes. Getting pretty rare now too.

If you buy it, my advice, keep it stock (or at least keep all the stock bits if you replace them).

Dan

if you traveling over 80km/h these little buggers will drink more than th mps...great cars but not made as a higher speed daily. (a mate had one and sold it soon after due to its thurst)

Had one with a Rotary in it....well it was my ex's..but i claimed it as mine

Quote Originally Posted by MISSMPS View Post
    Had one with a Rotary in it....well it was my ex's..but i claimed it as mine
    Any issues, like rust in sneaky spots?
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Thanks for the advice. The hunt continues...