User Tag List

Thread: Oil Catch Cans: What is the correct way to fit one?

1. Default Oil Catch Cans: What is the correct way to fit one?

Hey guys, fitted a Drift Oil Catch Can this week. It's openable, semi-stuffed it w/ a stocking full of steel wool... hehehe ghetto!

I was conflicted on how to do it, cause there was this solid guide based on the US model, which told me to install the OCC under the car on the our drivers side, but Lou's (a dude from Victoria w/ a SICK MPS) had a TurboXS catch can fitted on the our passenger side, topside. So they're completely opposite!

I followed Lou's. Cause it was easier. Took me 30 mins. I dunno if it'll actually catch any oil. On the flipside, the US guy's catch can caught HEAPS or sh*t! It's ridiculous (Just read down the 1st page, he shows you). Probably too much. Which makes me wonder, maybe he didn't do it right (he even caught quite alot of PETROL).

This is the guide:
    http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...tons-pics.html

This is the way I installed mine (didn't attach photos of my own, as it's not as clear as this):

Thoughts? Comments?

Cheers guys!

PEACE!

~ RoNi '08
    Last edited by RoNi_SiZe; 13-11-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Thats a huge catch can!

I think you've done a great job just to fit it into the engine bay!

Do it properly Roni, get a good baffled OCC and install it running off PCV like on MSforums.

linkies?

I thought it was supposed to be low so that gravity would help the oil etc enter the can?

where's the pics of your one?? that's lou's

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RoNi_SiZe View Post
    the US guy's catch can caught HEAPS or sh*t! It's ridiculous (Just read down the 1st page, he shows you). Probably too much. Which makes me wonder, maybe he didn't do it right (he even caught quite alot of PETROL).

~ RoNi '08
    I would expect there's something wrong with his vehicle - seriously wrong - if he's catching petrol and LOTS of crap in a catch-can. Petrol especially.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but seeing petrol is injected directly into the cylinder, how the hell does it end up in the catch-can????

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    I would expect there's something wrong with his vehicle - seriously wrong - if he's catching petrol and LOTS of crap in a catch-can. Petrol especially.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but seeing petrol is injected directly into the cylinder, how the hell does it end up in the catch-can????
    I don't think it can unless you're running a dual stage fuel injection setup with a 5th injector spraying a fine mist into the intake somewhere.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeev View Post
    I don't think it can unless you're running a dual stage fuel injection setup with a 5th injector spraying a fine mist into the intake somewhere.
    Shagged rings? Forces unburnt fuel past the piston on compression, mixes with the oil, because the rings are shagged, there's constant positive crankcase pressure and blow-back, so lots of crap forced through the PCV and catch can, and then while the vehicle sits, the petrol seperates from the oil?

Oil catch can was fitted to mask a smoking problem?
    Last edited by Nexus; 27-12-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Shagged rings? Forces unburnt fuel past the piston on compression, mixes with the oil, because the rings are shagged, there's constant positive crankcase pressure and blow-back, so lots of crap forced through the PCV and catch can, and then while the vehicle sits, the petrol seperates from the oil?

Oil catch can was fitted to mask a smoking problem?
    That could be a possibility, or it could be a case of a really poorly run-in engine, so the surfaces aren't mating or sealing properly.... Can't really be sure.