User Tag List

Thread: 6 MPS no clutch after 46.5k km is this normal ?

1. Default 6 MPS no clutch after 46.5k km is this normal ?

Hi Guys

I'm new to all of this and would like to her from others regarding what appears to be an issue with the clutch of my 6 MPS. The car is stock standard - no modifications and until this week ran beautifully.
    The car was purchased new three and a half years ago from a dealer and has been serviced on a regualr basis. On Wednesday this week the clutch appera to have gone to god after only 46.5 k km. I can drive it but can't move the gear sick if the revs are above 2000 to 2500 rpm.
    I called the dealer and asked that it be booked in to be repaired, they can't look at the car until mid next week. As result I called a couple of mechanics who gve me quotes of around $4.5k for genuine parts and labour and $3.5k for aftermarket.

• One - is it normal for a clutch to die so soon? - this has never happened to me with cars I have owned even after 100k km.
    • Two - is it worht arguing with Mazda given that the car is out of warranty.
    I look forward to hearing from you experts regarding the matter.

Regards

CCV

Wow those prices are huge, I thought more around $1500... Where do you live and I must find out from my contacts..... I'm at 58k's and going strong but mines a MPS3 ?????

3. Default

Yep it is very expensive.

I live in Melbounre , if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative to the genuine job and knows a good mechanic to do the job I would be happy to hear from them.

CCV

Well here is your cheaper option;
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...93-500kms.html

But I would be very concerned with a 45000km life out of a clutch, do you flatshift on casual drives or something? I would definitely try for warranty with Mazda given that you're only just over 3 years but a life that short is a big problem. A workmate had his engine in his V8 holden die on him when it was only just out of warranty and while they didn't cover it completely, they did pay for 70% of the costs. You could get lucky so it's worth pursuing.

Not being able to move the gear stick about 25000rpm sounds odd to me, is your clutch slipping or only failing to disengage? I am not a mechanic but that symptom puzzles me, and says to me the problem might be something a bit more sinister than just a worn clutch.
    Last edited by Reedy; 07-10-2010 at 02:00 AM.

I spoke to the guys at Allstar Tuning the other morning and brought your issue up and was saying that the MPS3 would be around $1500 and because of the different set up on the MPS6 there will be a bit more labour and you would be looking around $2000, $3500 to $4500 is way over the top... Hope this helps when your looking around..

I did the clutch in my MPS6. $1000 for parts (aftermarket) and about $500-$800 in labour is reasonable. An MPS3 is only marginally easier than an MPS6. The transfer case and prop shaft are pretty easy to remove and install again. Most of your time is spent removing the front crossmember and the gearbox itself.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Not being able to move the gear stick about 25000rpm sounds odd to me, is your clutch slipping or only failing to disengage? I am not a mechanic but that symptom puzzles me, and says to me the problem might be something a bit more sinister than just a worn clutch.
    Throwout bearing or possibly slave cylinder????

Does the pedal feel any different?

7. Default

Thanks for the coments.

It is all a bit odd - in desperation I took the car to a friendly mechanic to have a look at and he couldn;t work it out. You can rev the engine as much as you like while the car is stationalry depress the clutch and change all the gears without any issue. Once the car is rolling and the reves exceed 2.5k you can't change gears.

I've booked it in with Madzda to see what the problem is - hopefully something simple - but I suspect not.

CCV

8. Default

sounds like you've broken a piece of your clutch plate and it's dropped between the remaining bits of the clutch plate and the fly wheel. this lets the car change gears at low rpms but as soon as your car has a larger load the spigot doesn't dissengage (my dad had the same problem with his land cruiser just the odd 40 years ago). Sounds like your up for a new clutch....

9. Default

Hi Guys

Mazda hae called to say the car is ready to collect $3k in part sand labour. New clutch , flywheel plus drive shaft.

I am very interested to see how she will run.

regards

CCV