User Tag List

Thread: Pro Sport Boost Gauge

Default Pro Sport Boost Gauge

Hi All,

Bought a Prosport gauge for my MPS a few weeks back and have discovered a problem.

Up until the last week or so the gauge as been perfect, reading the correct boost and doing what it should.

A week ago it stopped working. It does the fancy wanky start up stuff that it should, but then sets itself a about 7 PSI Vac, rather that 0 like it used to, and stays there while driving. It doesn't read the boost or anything.

I have checked the boost line and it is hooked up securely, and checked the wires into the gauge and the boost sensor and they are all fine.

All seems good to me. The only thing I can think of is a faulty boost sensor.

What are your thoughts.

Cheers, Todd

sounds like either a faulty sensor. have you checked the wiring from the gauge to the sensor as well, just in case something is loose?

Yea i have. It was all sweet

Worth cleaning the sensor? Hard to say if thats possible not having even the slightest clue what the sensor looks like but if it is stuck at 7psi could explain why you always get that.

Does the car drive fine otherwise?

Hi Todd,

I Have Prosport gauges as well, and found that the boost gauge had one issue which I have now sorted.

My boost gauge would bounce up and down and not show acurate boost readings, this was resloved by unplugging the wiring from the sensor and puting it back in (probably faulty connection resulting in incorrect readings). This problem has come back a few times but has been an easy fix. I could probably go get some contact cleaner, or I believe there is some sort of gel that can be applied.

Doesnt sound like the same problem. but give it a go

Use a permanent marker to put a 1 before the 7, change vac to boost and show your friends how little turbo lag the MPS has, it even sits on 17psi at idle?

Wondering do you have the sender mounted in the engine bay and did it start playing up after washing the car or a heavy down pour of rain? I have read on the USA forums that the sender is not water proof and is very sensitive to water, but usually if it gets wet give it a few days to dry out and it works again. other things that was discussed was how the sender is very sensitive to dirt particals and it is very important to use the in-line filter supplied with the gauge.
    hope this helps you sort it out. Cheers.

My Oil Pressure Pro Sport Gauge died a couple of months ago it just stays constantly at max and my then my Boost gauge died a few weeks back during one of the club cruises. Taken it to 2 places and neither wont fix it for me, so I feel your pain, at least you sound like you have some knowledge on how to fix things unlike me, lol.

Think I might just take it back to APC who were the ones who originally installed it. Annoying not being able to see my boost :-(

my boost failed as soon as i got it and mpsgarage.com replaced it for me, being in perth it was a bit of a hassle.

my oil temp has recently hit the skids and jus shows crazy temps and dances around all over the place so i took it out and checked the connections and it seems to be a prob witht he actual guage,

i finally got oil pressure hooked up and now it doesnt seem to be working properly either....

my thoughts? cheap guages = poor quality... check the back and u will find "made in taiwan"
    --- CPe DP + Custom 3" Stainless CBE --- Turbo Timer --- CPe CAI --- Turbo XS BPV --- CPe 75 Duro Rear Engine Mount --- 2XS SSP ---

Haha yeah dancing around... That is what my oil pressure one did before it gave up the fight. Like watching a fish out of water.

Sounds like I am up for a new set of gauges then :'(

Quote Originally Posted by ZedN View Post
    Haha yeah dancing around... That is what my oil pressure one did before it gave up the fight. Like watching a fish out of water.

Sounds like I am up for a new set of gauges then :'(
    Do these things not have a warranty or what? I was planning on getting some along with the CPE pod. Starting to think I should reconsider....

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    Do these things not have a warranty or what? I was planning on getting some along with the CPE pod. Starting to think I should reconsider....
    spend the extra and get a decent brand mate IMO, VDO, Autometer, Defi, they all seem more reliable.
    --- CPe DP + Custom 3" Stainless CBE --- Turbo Timer --- CPe CAI --- Turbo XS BPV --- CPe 75 Duro Rear Engine Mount --- 2XS SSP ---

Sensor is behind the glove box so water won't be a problem.

Why did I not think to try the old disconnect and reconnect. Will give this a go.

They are not cheap gauges though (price wise). My Autometer in my rex cost me about $100 from memory.

What isn't made in Korea, Taiwan or China these days.

Cheers for the responses people.

Quote Originally Posted by mps05 View Post
    Hi All,

Bought a Prosport gauge for my MPS a few weeks back and have discovered a problem.

Up until the last week or so the gauge as been perfect, reading the correct boost and doing what it should.

A week ago it stopped working. It does the fancy wanky start up stuff that it should, but then sets itself a about 7 PSI Vac, rather that 0 like it used to, and stays there while driving. It doesn't read the boost or anything.

I have checked the boost line and it is hooked up securely, and checked the wires into the gauge and the boost sensor and they are all fine.

All seems good to me. The only thing I can think of is a faulty boost sensor.

What are your thoughts.

Cheers, Todd
    I Purchaced the Pro - Sport premium gauges from MPSGarage 12 months ago water temp /oil presure / boost psi gauge & have done 30k with out a single problem , Did you get the premium or pov gauges ????

Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

mine were all pov could explain alot

Just replaced my boost gauge at lunch (My first repair I did myself, yay!) as the boost gauge died, then it came to life and flicked up and down like a dieing fish for a while. Then on the weekend I was doing some hwy driving down to NSW and I heard this tick tick tick tick noise, looked over at the boost gauge and there it was going from min to max and back again constantly and so fast that you could hear the needle hitting against the limits.. So I had to pull over at Ballina and disconnect it.

Put in a replacement gauge today (wiring and sensor all the same) and took it for a test and works fine...

So lesson for all.. POV Prosport Gauges are !!

A company I once worked for motto was "THERE IS NO PROFITABLE SUBSTITUTE FOR QUALITY "
    It is cheaper not to buy CHEAP you only end up paying more in the long run !!!!

Here endth the lesson !!!!
    from the one who learns things the hard way

Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

indeed quality is worth it. I got myself a defi, know its a lot of dollars, but they work good and last. If your patient, buy 2nd hand which is what I do with most of my gear. Obviously there are drawbacks to buying used items, but so far I've been pretty lucky *touches wood*