User Tag List

Thread: boost leak ?

1. Default boost leak ?

my car seems to have a loud hissing sound as i start to build revs, and there is a obvious feel of power loss. but this does not seem to happen all the time, as the car seems to be boosting fine most of the time. i havent got a boost gauge in my car yet, so i cant visibly see anything. i've seen diy boost leak kits and stuff, but im pretty incompetent under the hood. im just wondering what the diagnosis is for a boostleak and is there is a place that can check and fix it for me.

cheers

I had this the other day, but I had forgotten to put one of the clamps back on after putting my intercooler back on..... Anyway Id have a look under your bonnet, remove the black shroud and check all the metal clamps are on tight (should be 2 on either side of the intercooler) and that the rubber pipes either end of your intercooler aren't damaged. Basically the only places you can leak boost are these or somewhere around your Blow off /By Pass Valve. (at least thats my understanding)

I think Ive heard somewhere you put soapy water on things and then look for bubbles forming. Maybe someone else can give you some better tips about that though.

just check all your clamps between yout turbo and your throttle body bud.. lets start there

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kjunio14 View Post
    my car seems to have a loud hissing sound as i start to build revs, and there is a obvious feel of power loss. but this does not seem to happen all the time, as the car seems to be boosting fine most of the time. i havent got a boost gauge in my car yet, so i cant visibly see anything. i've seen diy boost leak kits and stuff, but im pretty incompetent under the hood. im just wondering what the diagnosis is for a boostleak and is there is a place that can check and fix it for me.

cheers
    What have you done that could cause a boost leak? i.e. what have you put into the car or touched that could cause this?

Most of those clamps are not going to just come loose.

Im putting a tenner on the pipe between the TMIC and the Turbo, so Id be checking that first.. Ive had that come loose after no recent under-the-bonnet fiddling.
    The engine does move around a bit!

6. Default

thanks for the help ,i'll check the clamps and rubber piping around the intercooler properly this weekend with a mate. i havent touched the car, its stock. i've only had it for a few months. i bought it with 120k's on it, but everything is mint condition and working perfectly. this is the only problem that has happened so far. i'll check out the clamps and stuff, and hopefully post up the problem

cheers

No problemo. Mine was the clamp on the turbo side. The clamp seemed to have been a bit high and slipped off on one side. Should only need a Phillips head and flat head to find where the pipe is in relation to the hose. Be careful not to loosen it too far to drop it down, unless you have smaller hands than me! Also do it in the morning before you have driven... It gets VERY warm back there and it's hard to poke around with gloves on!

8. Default

Welcome to OZMPSclub and congrats on getting a sexy MPS6.

Ditto as others have said, not too long ago I had the exact same problem the loud hissing sound when building revs and no boost. Like you said also it was not all the time then progressively got worse until the car felt like a big black slug and was struggling to even get up the top of Mt Panorama even in third gear, was hideous and embarrassing.

My hose clamp was just sitting there lose around the end of the pipe on the intake side of the Intercooler, eventually it worked itself completely loose and was just sitting hanging down the bottom of the bend in the pipe. The guys on the bathurst cruise found the problem for me and tightened it. Definately check the clamps it could have been sitting there loose on the end of the clamp keeping majority of boost in there and be working itself completely off hence it boosting fine most the time.
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

9. Default

I just checked the intercooler clamps and everything seems fine. The only visible thing I can see is a small cut on the bpv tubing. The cut is very small and not deep, it's just under the clamp. Could this be a big enough reason for a boost leak ?

Doesn't sound good. I'd pull it off and check if it goes right through, if it is not plainly evident in superficial inspection. Check all clamps anyway. BB's story is enough to convince you. These things get loosened at service time to access plugs, etc, and some might have been forgotten when it is all being screwed down again.

Tape up the tube to start with, it wont last long but its a good test. If you have an aftermarket BOV put the stock one back on and take it back to service.
    Im pretty sure that line should be under vac.

*Edit* the big tube or the little tube?
    I dont think this is the source of the hissing...
    with the TMIC clamps and hoses, did you just check if they were tight, or if the hose was on properly? - my clamp was on tight but the hose had slipped off a little on one side and it was not initially visible.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

12. Default

it was the big tube on the bpv, i took it off to look at the cut and it was nothing but superficial. i checked the hosing on either side of the intercooler, the hose on the turbo side was fine. but the other hose seemed really tender, and had a burn mark from another hose but i couldnt see tear or hole. other than that they were clamped on tight and were on correctly. should i replace the intercooler hose and see what happens ?

Maybe try removing the intercooler completely checking it over for defects and redoing all the connections.