User Tag List

Thread: Will an upgraded TMIC void my warranty?

Default Will an upgraded TMIC void my warranty?

I am looking at buying the ETS TMIC.

No too sure if this has been answered, but what is the general concensus on this mod Will it void my warranty? and is it a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks

Simple - call Mazda.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Simple - call Mazda.
    If you ask mazda, they'll tell you any mod can void you're warranty.

Depends on the dealer and what problem you may have.

If something hapens to say the suspension, you should not have a problem with warranty.
    Have an engine issue, you might have problems.
    But if you have a problem that is well known, you also shouldn't have a problem no matter what mods you have.

If your still worried, keep the original cooler and swap it back if you ever have a problem

If you are concerned about warranty, the best thing you can do is establish a relationship with your local service manager. It's his call whether a warranty request will be accepted, although mazda have the final say. If you have had your car serviced by him and made a point of getting to know him, even to the extent of asking his advice on mods, you'll be in a much better position if a warranty issue arises.

My previous service manager was not too keen on mods but I had a good relationship with him and got a lot done under warranty due to some issues my car had. For that reason the most radical mods I had were an SRI and short shifter. But now my car is out of warranty and I'm doing all the mods I wanted to do over the last 4 years.

That's just the way it goes.

Gone to Volvo

as said above, my sp23 is fairly modified all mods were done in first 2yrs and i built a rapport with my mazda dealer and they fixed issues with the car...even went to the extent of replacing a cv joint 3 months out of warranty.

fwiw the tmic can be swapped back to the stock one in a matter of minutes prior to any dealership visits

I reckon you take the risk if you want to mod. As KMH says, that's the way of it. I engage my dealer in my mods and they have been interested. If I do a mod that I am silly enough to allow to mess up warranty on an item, then I accept it is my own silly fault. Ultimate I also accept that it is the dealer who will decide. If I think that their decision is unreasonable I reserve the right to say so but also accept that it may not change the decision. I reckon they have more right to do it than say, the insurers who will decline insurance out of hand just because one has added an FMIC for example, as happened to me, for I view that approach as being the same as blaming spoons for obesity.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

+1 to establishing a relationship with Service Advisors.....

I've just gone through this exercise today in fact with the dealership I get my car serviced with. I approached them with an idea of the specific mods I was wanting to do (Engine Mount, SRI, DP)

When I spoke to the sales guy, his first response was "Call mazda tech in SA".

I pushed a little bit, saying that if I called Mazda head office, I was more likely to get what I call a "3-ring binder response" read out to me over the phone about how all mods void warranty. I'd much rather get a ruling from the dealership as they're the guys in the trenches looking after people like me.

Sales guy then said he'd bring it up with the Service Advisor and let me know. I'd given him specific links to products I'm looking at.

Response from Sales guy next was "Spoke to our service advisor. He seems to not see a problem with anything you're wanting to do. Give him a call and talk it over with him. There are a couple of things he want to point out to you."

I then called the Service Advisor and had a good old chat with him. Turns out he's a racer and completely understands what I'm trying to achieve (actually seemed pretty interested and I think wanted to have a chat more than anything else)

He said that everything I'm looking to do seems fine and he can't see an issue with it. Also looks like I've found a new friend

Dan
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Awesome advice guys thanks.

Thanks