User Tag List

Thread: how to make a battered car look shiny?

Default how to make a battered car look shiny?

Hi All,

parents are looking to sell the car that me and sis have used to learn how to drive, and as such, it's showing the wear from the mis-haps that happen with learner drivers and concrete poles etc:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3790.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	5599Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3789.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	5601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3791.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	5600

basically, is this going to require a respray? or will some clay bar & random orbital + wax do the trick of making this look new(ish)?

and cause my parents have no idea how to do any of this, do people know a good detailing place in brisbane (other than missy...)?

thanks
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Hi All,

parents are looking to sell the car that me and sis have used to learn how to drive, and as such, it's showing the wear from the mis-haps that happen with learner drivers and concrete poles etc:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3790.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	5599Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3789.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	5601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3791.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	5600

basically, is this going to require a respray? or will some clay bar & random orbital + wax do the trick of making this look new(ish)?

and cause my parents have no idea how to do any of this, do people know a good detailing place in brisbane (other than missy...)?

thanks
    To cover up those scuff marks, it's going to require paint. A buff/polish could improve the areas around the scuff, but no amount of polishing product can put back paint that's been removed.

Most likely the entire front bumper should be re-sprayed, I'd take it to your nearest automotive paintwork shop or panel beater for pricing.

Yep, that will require a sand back and respray. The whole bumper will require a respray as Scaredycrow mentioned above. If it was a minor scratch you could buff it out, but the fact that its cut through the paint down to the plastic means a respray is required. You can, cut polish and buff it too see how much better it looks (for the moment) to some people it doesn't bother them. But if you want it "fixed" ...respray

Cheapest way to improve it is some cutting polish and touch up paint.

You will still be able to see the damage, but not the paint on paint scuff marks etc.

Why not me

Quote Originally Posted by MISSMPS View Post
    Why not me
    haha, if you really want to you can, am sure parents would pay they might find it a tad odd taking it to some (to them) random person's house rather than an actual business is all
    bugger about needing the paint to touch up tho
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

You would be surprised what a good machine polish can do. Obviously the paint that is missing can't be repaired, but it will make it look much more presentable and draw less attention to it.

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    The important part being "Fragrances" you don't want to be driving around with a smelly bumper

You can't beat 4-1 for value. I've always dreamt of having a fragrant bumper

That's not what I meant by polish

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    MMM fragrance
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Bumpertech do paint and all, come to your house or business and do it there. Guy at work had it done looked like he had it done in a shop, pretty reasonable price if I remember too.

He has a sliver car too.