User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutch upgrade for Mazda 6 mps

NPC clutch in QLD $1400, there are alot more options now as far as kits go but Im happy wuth the results.

The original assembly was 23kg and Im down to 16kg rotatating mass, no problems not report so far with drivability issues!
    MPS garage sell a nice kit, Aaron weighed a fidanza flywheel the other week while I was there and came in at 6kg! He said they drive fine still!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    MPS2NV, interesting - so who did the mod or what was the parts source?
    Good question Doug, interested here too

Leon

I guess when you get down to super-light clutches it can make for tractability problems in traffic. Often compensated for by folks tuning up the idle rpm. How do you find it in traffic?

Its amazing, cant comment on lighter kits personally but, my car is alot easier all round and not at all harsh like old school brass buttons, it idles fine, doesn't bunny hop when it comes down to idle or when I want to use light throttle... winner all round! The engine is balanced and still has balance shafts in it. If you go this way a must is the cp-e engine mount!

Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    Does the short shifter reduce the time between gear changes that makes the clutch easier to engage?
    NO!!!

Jinxed myself talking about stalling the MPS6, over the weekend I must have stalled the car at least 10 times, maybe more, more often in reverse, but occassionally in first. All due to no clutch feel I believe. All right if I give the car heaps of revs and slip the clutch, but at my age and with the corksport exhaust, I feel like a hoon revving the car in Motel carparks, traffic lights, carpark of Junee Licorice Factory in front of 40 strangers and all those other embarrassing places I stalled over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    Does the short shifter reduce the time between gear changes that makes the clutch easier to engage?
    Unfortunately nothing short of reducing the number of stupid syncronisers can shorten the time it takes to complete a gear change. Three synchronisers is f_g absurd for any car with a performance bent. What the hell were Mazda thinking?!!!!!!

BTW I haven't stalled my car once since the clutch was replaced 60,000 km ago. I've driven numerous ceramic, brass button and centre-force clutches and I have no problem with ON-OFF clutch operation. The problem I believe with the original MPS clutch was a lack of consistency and predictability. Sure it was ON-OFF, but for some strange reason you could never tell where the ON-OFF was going to occur - hence the frequent stalling.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    . The problem I believe with the original MPS clutch was a lack of consistency and predictability. Sure it was ON-OFF, but for some strange reason you could never tell where the ON-OFF was going to occur - hence the frequent stalling.
    Exactly what I have been trying to say - me too - plenty of race Cooper S's, Mazda Sports Sedan (mid mount rotary) and other cars with on and off only clutches. Low torque at low rpm and inconsistency of operation reason for stalling. I can drive for months without stalling, last weekend she stalled. Not stalled since. GO FIGURE!!!!!!!

Maybe it's the new trend in gelatinous legs and rubber knees! Often discovered with advancing years.

"I'm sorry Your Honour, it's not the unpredictable clutch that caused me to crush that woman's legs as she walked in front of my car when I was parking in a tight space, I went to the doctor and he told me I had unpredictable legs." ;-)

Maybe it was just nerves - so many people watching and admiring the MPS6

The ACT clutch kit is on-off but its much more consistent. Cheaper than the OEM clutch kit too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12