User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Pollen/Cabin Filter: Mazda 6/3

Default Changing Pollen/Cabin Filter: Mazda 6/3

Hi All,

I attempted this recently, took me about 5 minutes. So DIY and save $$$.

Mazda 6MPS:

Open the glove box and push in on the sides. There are two tabs located here (one on either side) Simply pushing in on the side of the glove box and pulling it forward (allowing the tabs to clear the console/dash) finishes this step.
    Pull the glove box towards you. There are a set of notches on the bottom which clamp to the inside of the glove box which must be pulled free. Just pull the glove box and it should come off.
    You should now see the air filter cover. Its held in place by two upper tab/slots and two lower clips. Pull down on the outer cover to free it from the tabs, then pull out towards yourself and it should come free, exposing the air filter.
    Remove the old air filter and replace it with the new one. You may need to pinch the old filter horizontally to get it to squeeze out of the compartment. Its flexible and being tossed anyway, so don't worry about damaging it. As you can see at 12,680 miles the cabin air filter is quite dirty. The new filter slides in the same way the old one came out. Make sure the filter is sitting flush in its compartment, and is not angled or tilted. Make sure the AIR FLOW ARROW POINTS DOWN. Failure to adhere to this step could result in the climate fan being damaged, or a massive loss of horsepower (unconfirmed).
    Put the cabin filter back on. Make sure after putting in the upper tabs to SNAP the lower section of the cover on by pressing on the clips on the bottom they are beveled to snap into place under the filter assembly. After this step, put the glove box back on, and your done!

Bit similiar to this: http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-ch...filter-339869/

Mazda 3MPS:

Last edited by Los Palmas7; 20-09-2010 at 12:48 AM.

on our cars, will it still be on the glovebox (passenger's) side or would it be under the driver's side for a M3?
    my air really reeks..

3. Default low cost cabin air filter replacement

People on other forums have reported the Mazda CX-7 (07-09) cabin air filter fits the Mazda 6 MPS. I used TYC part# 800095P in my 2005 MPS which fitted perfectly. I could not see any differences in size or construction to explain the different filter part numbers between the two car models.

Compared to going to a local shop and paying $45ea, I got 2 filters including delivery from the US (ebay) for AU$31.

4. Default

Very handy thread. These can make your aircon system stink.

the air reeked of piss after turning off the a/c and letting the fan still run before i changed the filters in my car.
    to my astonishment they were black and clogged with jacaranda leaves. and apparently mazda changed it according to a jobsheet :|
    its worth the effort, swearing and grazes on your hands

Quote Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
    on our cars, will it still be on the glovebox (passenger's) side or would it be under the driver's side for a M3?
    my air really reeks..
    Just did this today and it is actually easier for us RH drivers in OZ than those in the US. The filters are removed from the passenger side (LHS), the 4 screws for the cover plate are a POP (Peice of P) to get out, and the filters come out nice and easy like, with the top filter coming out first.

Ive got a 3 MPS for those who are wondering.

Cabin smells soo much better with new filters and didnt take long at all. I also ran a power wire through the fire wall for my amp.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMackie View Post
    Just did this today and it is actually easier for us RH drivers in OZ than those in the US. The filters are removed from the passenger side (LHS), the 4 screws for the cover plate are a POP (Peice of P) to get out, and the filters come out nice and easy like, with the top filter coming out first.

Ive got a 3 MPS for those who are wondering.

Cabin smells soo much better with new filters and didnt take long at all. I also ran a power wire through the fire wall for my amp.
    Did you buy yours in Oz, from Mazda?
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Did you buy yours in Oz, from Mazda?
    If your talking about the filters, yes. I think they charged about $40 for them

so do you have to take the glove box out in aus ? would i follow the how to but backwards ?

im confused but i definately have to do this, im sure mazda hasnt done it

Cool, thanks.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by heath_303 View Post
    so do you have to take the glove box out in aus ? would i follow the how to but backwards ?

im confused but i definately have to do this, im sure mazda hasnt done it
    Yes mate, I wouldnt say 'backwards' but 'other side' would be more appropriate. The video is great for the glovebox removal, fuse cover etc, (obviously on the other side though) its just the filter cover on our Oz cars thats easier to remove (no hard to get top screw like the US cars) and teh top filter comes out first instead (The US cars the lower filter comes out first)

Dragging up an old thread ...

I replacemed the cabin filter in my MPS3 and it's a shit job. Mine was clearly never touched (thanks Mazda dealership!), and I can see why. Picked up a non-OEM replacement for $18 off eBay. The old filters were filthy.

Some tips for RHD cabin filter replacement

- I couldn't remove the bracket that holds the fuse box down - even purchased a new set of sockets for the job. Unless you have a ratchet of some sort it is impossible to budge the two 10mm bolts.
    - My solution? Once you remove the panel covering the filters, gently bend the right arm of the bracket inwards; this gives you enough room to slide out the top one, then push up the second and slide it out of the same hole
    - Vacuum the hole using a thin nozzle, it's too hard to wipe out by hand
    - Make sure you take note of how the filters are positioned, both have significantly different mouldings
    - Slide in the bottom filter first, then push it back slightly so you can slide the groove of the top filter into the bottom filter. Both should be sitting on top of each other with some play. When you put back the black side lid, they should fit in snugly without play.

At the very least, doing this filter replacement taught me a lot about disconnecting massive scary looking electrical cables in the fuse box

JB
    Last edited by Byrd; 22-07-2013 at 09:49 AM.

13. Default

Disconnecting the PJB is the most fun part of the task!
    When i did it to my Diesel which i believe uses the same ac system, it was a real c*** of a job. After i had done it and straightened out my back again, i declared that this is one job that you'd punish a dealer with. It's a job worth paying someone to literally bend over backwards for (have to work laying on the lower door sill, looking upwards).
    Im not a big guy and im not old but it was not fun.

The tips Byrd posted are great.
    I wrote up a long post on one of the neighbouring forums about it & there's more tips there.

Ryco's version of the filter has a rip off RRP... better off buying the genuine one - it's cheaper.
    Most of the 3hrs was spent trying to fit the new filters in. The working space is extremely cramped.

NB: I did it on a BK. I didnt have my BL for long enough to examine the pollen filters.
    Mazda should use an ac system like Nissan and Toyota - the pollen filter is easy to access and can be changed in 10mins or less. And the filters are interchangeable (sort of) so you can retrofit a non-activated charcoal filter equipped car with an activated charcoal filter off a Lexus.

peace

Thanks for support juld0zer! Must say I've a few sore spots today from yesterday's work. The youtube video that details it: one tosser said he did it in 30 minutes with "no technical skills", I call BS Took me about 1.5 - 2 hours to do it properly. Had a closer look at the old filter and it is full of crud, and basically completely black from soot.

From first drive today, the lingering smoker's smell that was in my car (past owner) seems to have largely gone, as does the mouldy/musty smell present during winter. Pleased I did it now.

Just don't count on the dealership to do it - it is listed in their service schedule, but unless you ask specifically don't expect it to be done.

They are 56.20 now absolutely rip off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Link to the $18 filter I installed:

AIR Conditioning Cabin Filter FOR Mazda 3 BK BL SP23 SP25 MPS Maxx NEO Mazda 5 | eBay

... of reasonable quality and turned up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Link to the $18 filter I installed:

AIR Conditioning Cabin Filter FOR Mazda 3 BK BL SP23 SP25 MPS Maxx NEO Mazda 5 | eBay

... of reasonable quality and turned up quickly.
    Ok so I just changed my cabin filter, and actually picked up one on eBay the same as this one. Bought on tuesday, here on thursday, fast enough for me!

I used your write up @Byrd, thanks for that, mainly the tip on bending back that bracket. Could take it off, but I could see myself breaking a clip on the 2 retainers holding cables to the bracket itself, so I prefered to bend it, then bend back into shape at the end.

THAT SAID, I'm not sure what is actually taking people so long to do this. I was in and out of the car in no more than 35 minutes. Yes, globebox out, bottom panel out, fuse panel down and unclipped, black cover removed, bracket bent down and filters out in 10 minutes.

Took a few picture:

There is no need to unclip the blue clip on the fuse panel. Unclip the brown clip, swing the panel down then unclip the green one. Then you can take it off the bracket and it'll sit nicely to one side

This picture is the black cover plate removed, and filters taken out. You can see here how said bracket has been bent down to allow the filters to be taken out.

Aaaand cleaning to be done... All the stuff left in the compartment that I had to clean out before installing the new filters. Surprised me to see leaves in there actually :/

The obligutary comparison picture between new and old.
    Old filter was certainly had it, though not crawling with grime like some pictures i've seen. Good to be replaced though

This is the new bottom filter installed. 2 things to note:
    1) the small positioning tab at this and at the top
    2) the far end sits into the vertical slot.

Sliding the top filter in on this one was easy enough, make sure they're in properly and then reinstall everything!

Quick and easy job to do, and if anyone does find it a pain, i'd be happy to help/do it for them
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

Great pics GibbA - in hindsight it probably shouldn't haven't taken me so long to do, but it was my first foray into popping out the fuse box, connectors etc so I took my time. Proud to say my filter was even filthier than that, it looked nasty. Rest of the car is spotless though, so I'd say its just never been replaced in 150000KM.

Yeah my first time poking around the fuse box too, took a while to figure out how to get those connectors off too. That said, I've had the glove box out a few times so I knew what to do there!
    Yeah I was disappointed in a way it wasn't dirtier but that's only a good thing :-)

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    Yeah my first time poking around the fuse box too, took a while to figure out how to get those connectors off too. That said, I've had the glove box out a few times so I knew what to do there!
    Yeah I was disappointed in a way it wasn't dirtier but that's only a good thing :-)

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 4
    Heres mine still disappointed ? Lol
    Member Of a Wallbangers Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast