User Tag List

Thread: 6mps intake

1. Default 6mps intake

i recently purchased a 2006 6mps , i've been driving it stock for a while now and im now keen on adding a few after market pieces.

this is my first car that im going to mod, so im pretty unsure on how to go about it. i've been reading the forum threads and have decided to start off with purchasing an intake. im going to start off with an sri for now, as it seems really basic and cheap. im undecided with which sri unit to buy, atm im leaning towards buying a corksport sri because it comes with a tip. im just wondering if im better off buying a different sri unit and if a tip is really necessary ? also, im worried about cels and how do they come about, and if so how to remove them ?

cheers

KJUNIO14, I have an Apexi SRI which worked well, available for $150 incl MAF housing and only slightly used pod filter (<5,000km). It installed in minutes, and incurred no CEL's. I removed it as part of my overall intake mods as per my signature. PM me for details and photos if you are interested. Chs.

Hi mate and to the forum. Glad to hear you're thinking on modding the 6! There is plenty of potential as with the 3.

If you have not already may I direct you to these 3 links specifically related to your needs

commonly-asked-questions-modification-thread

cobb-short-ram-intake

looking-short-ram-intake-kit-my-6mps

Mate, if you're unsure how to go about modding or what to have a keen poke around, do so on this forum as there is plenty of useful info. In addition if you like, check out my RR link below which will direct you to my personal thread with a few pics and explanations that may help you. Any questions, just ask.

As you probably figured you have the two basic options for stage one mod on the intake, the SRI or CAI. There's been plenty of banter on which is better etc, but let me tell you it comes down to personal preference really and practicality. They're much of a muchness. I have a CAI which is sucking in air 1 degree above ambient, which is what I want. As far as general price and maintenance access, go the SRI.

The TIP really is just a better flow which compliments the intake therefore increasing velocity and reducing resistance slightly into the motor. Below is a comparitive image between the stock TIP and a aftermarket TIP. You will see the square-like bends and general small and narrow air pathway. Compare that to something like what I have installed (COBB TIP) and you can no doubt see the entire run is as smooth as can be keeping high velocity air and also less resistance

Stock and modified TIP

COBB TIP

With regards to CEL's you shouldn't have a problem especially with the intake its more the DP which can cause an issue. Have a read here for more info

cel-p0421-warm-up-catalyst-would-like-resolve

got-cel-arrgghhh

Hope that helps a bit

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

4. Default

thanks for the help rogwick and doug.
    i havent been on for a while, so sorry for the late reply.

Just thought I should make a suggestion about the SRI. There are numerous options if you plan to go down that route and often you may want to do the TIP as well.
    If you don't want to spend too much money though I'd reccomend the corksport intake. If we use MPSGarage prices (shope around you may be able to find something cheaper but for argument sake)

COBB intake and TIP = 655
    Corksport intake = $170

They both replace the same parts. The filters may be a little different but I doubt by much. The only real difference is COBB uses a lot of silicon in their design which can be argued reduces intake temperature etc. but I'm a bit curious how much that really matters. I mean its a SRI so you get slightly warm engine bay air anyway, and then you put it in a turbo, so the kind of differences in temp that a metal vs silicon pipe will induce I doubt will really matter esp at $400 difference. I've got the corksport and apart from being a bit of a bitch to install compared to a normal SRI (purely due to the fact it is a combined TIP+SRI) I reckon it was a pretty good purchase.