User Tag List

Thread: Noise when hitting full brake

1. Default Noise when hitting full brake

Hi
    need some help here, when i drive above 50 and hit full brake i hear a noise from below like a small bump on the car , feels like a small shake,only happens when hittng full brake at 50+ and when the car is almost stopped ( speed 10 - 20 )

noise looks like the same noise my subaru did when turning on bad roads,you could hear small bumps below the car, so guessing its the differential moving , but you guys know better than me

thanks

sounds like ABS kicking in.....I know i get this kind of noise/ shake feeling when braking hard on uneven surfaces

3. Default

but i get the noise on good roads and on a straight line, i hit 60 or 70 and press brake and when its braking and its almost stopped you feel a bump below , like a small shake , cant distinguish if its coming from front or rear , doesnt happen always , i tried accelrating to 100 and brake and sometimes if fully brakes with no noise and sometimes does that clunk/shake noise,its not a metal noise , its as if someting its the car below , is it the ABS ? or maybe differential mount problem ? it could be shaking below and making this noise ?

and the noise comes like 70% of time i hit full brake, and i dont mean pressing full brake fast
    does the abs kick in so many times even of flat , dry surface ?
    Last edited by thundercatpt; 13-09-2010 at 02:29 AM.

4. Default

UPDATE

well i went with a friend and try to know more about the noise

well im pretty shure noise comes from front and it doesnt do when i press clutch at least not so often, and i feel a small hit on brake pedal when makes the small(clunk/shake), it doenst do at slow speed even if i hit brake pedal hard, only above 50 and do a full brake it sometimes do the clunk
    test was perfomed on a straight and good road

any ideas ?

thanks

sounds like ABS
    is it multiple small "bumps" or just one big one?

6. Default

just one very fast bump when pressing hard
    notice it more when car is hot or very hot weather like today ( 35º )

(does ABS kicks in even on a dry/flat/good road at 50 or 60 ? )

found this from mazda:

Subject:
    FRONT BRAKE CLUNKING NOISE

Bulletin No:
    04-003/06
    Last Issued:

06/13/2006
    Service Bulletin

Mazda North American Operations

Irvine, CA 92618-2922

DESCRIPTION
    When braking in a forward direction, then changing direction and braking in reverse, a clunk noise may be
    heard from the front brakes. This condition is most noticeable when the vehicle is moving forward, then backwards
    a short distance while applying the brakes in both directions. This may be caused by excessive clearance
    between the brake pad and caliper support, resulting in a clunk noise.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
    1. Verify customer concern.
    2. Remove front brake pads and shims from caliper.
    CAUTION:

Avoid damage or deformation of existing shims because they will be re-used.
    3. Preassemble modified pads with existing shims.
    NOTE: Replace brake pads only, original shims must be re-used

maybe replacing pads will work , problem isnt exactly what i experience but its realted i think

Still sounds like ABS to me. If you apply brakes hard enough (and you did state "full brake") the ABS may kick in to limit wheel slip, regardless of whether or not the surface is dry. You will only get one intermittent "lock/unlock" cycle due to the high friction offered by the dry road.

The sounds made by ABS and loose pads are quite different and are excited in different ways.

8. Default

ok thanks,this week ill take it to mazda and ill update when i get their answer

9. Default

today i took car to mazda

abs sensors were cleaned , no more noise now

Good. Thx for the update. I was wondering how come you are hitting full brake often enough to note this as being a problem. Or was it a one off, as happens with so many turkeys on the road these days?

11. Default

well , my guess was one abs sensor was dirty and probably giving bad reading and activating too often

its fine now t,they were cleaned and doesnt activate now

did ur brake pedal pulse?

13. Default

yes

when it did the noise

my neo does it on one corner all the time a little left coming into a T intersection. where im braking lightly pulling up, mps only just does it when hard braking on same corner.. might look into this on my neo cheers

LUKE, Re the Neo, sounds like its lifting a rear leg in the turn in, lightening the load on the wheel, and causing premature ABS initiation as you apply brakes for the T-junction. Stick a load in the boot or rear seat (on the inside for the relevant corner direction) and see if it does it at the same entry speed.

ABS can kick in anytime, as long as the sensor gets the right data to set the abs off it will go off.

Sounds like its ABS for sure.

You get the ABS kicking in even if your going pretty slow, and brake while going over a pot hole... abs just kicks in in many situations.. Nothing to be concerned about