User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install headunit and steering wheel controls

Default How to install headunit and steering wheel controls

This is a guide for MPS3 with Bose. It should be very similar for the non-bose cars, but I cannot guarantee it. This guide is if you are changing the headunit only and keeping the rest of the system stock.

This is intended as a guide only and maybe different for your car, please double check everything before continuing. Having said that, it’s highly unlikely it will be any different. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY

As I have a pioneer headunit some parts are specific to this headunit. You can check the part brand's website to see if they have a similar part for your brand of headunit

Some information has been obtained from external sources, and where due, are owned by their respective owners

Read through all of this guide to get an idea what to do and also plan your install

Difficulty: intermediate (basic electrical knowledge required)

Time required: 1-2 weekends (2 if you are removing a lot of the dash)

Parts needed in addition to headunit:
    • Steering wheel interface, part # SWI-PS (pac-audio.com). Approx $70 from ebay
    • Metra Harness part # 70-7903 (Metra Electronics). Approx $30 from ebay (only if you don't want to hack factory harness)
    • Dash surround kit. (japanparts.com) This is a genuine mazda part from Japan hence the price. Approx $250-$300 (you can get cheaper dash kits from ebay)
    • RCA audio cable - a twisted pair will make it easier as the -ve/+ve is already separated, but this isn't essential. doesn't need to be long, shorter the better (only required if you have Bose system)
    • Electrical wire
    • Electrical tape
    • bullet terminals (female & male) 2 boxes - I got this from Jaycar which also had heat shrink ends. Otherwise go to Bunnings as the normal bullet terminals from Jaycar SUCK
    • Wire taps + corresponding size female blade terminal (from Bunnings)
    • solder

Tools:
    • heatgun if you get the bullet terminals with heat shrink (or any heat source like a candle)
    • philips (+) head screwdriver
    • pliers
    • soldering iron
    • crimping tool if you have one - otherwise you will need a utility knife to shave off the cable sheath
    • voltmeter (optional)

Misc:
    • Blanket or something soft for all the dash pieces you will remove
    • beer

Planning:
    To minimise the time your car is off the road, its best to think about exactly what you need to do. Best to get as much info specific to your headunit, particularly the wires which need to be installed.

Also if you need additional parts like the steering wheel interface or dash surrounds, buy all required additional parts in advance.

Read all installation instructions for the parts you are going to install

Read through the whole of this guide so you get an idea as to what is involved and how you can tailor it to your install.

Taking apart the dash:
    You don't have to take apart all of the dash as it depends on what you need to install. For me as I have a navigation headunit with bluetooth and Ipod, I pretty much needed to take apart the whole dash to route the cables. Just follow the instructions of the areas you need access to.

Remove headunit
    Follow these instructions: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/how-t... instructions]

Remove centre console
    Follow instructions until p3 in below attachment for installing shifter bushes
    Shifter_Bushing_Install_3.pdf

Remove glovebox
    When the headunit was removed, you would've taken the long plastic dash strip off. Afterwards:
    • Remove 2 screws holding the glove box at the top.
    • Remove passenger scuff plate
    • Remove passenger kick panel (there is a plastic press lock tab)
    • Pull glovebox towards you. The glove box is held in by clips.

Remove aircon controls (requires removal of glovebox and centre console)
    This bit is annoying as its very difficult to remove the panel even after the screws are removed. You need to take the face panel off to remove it, but its very difficult with the controls still in the dash.
    • Remove the screw on the bottom right where the glove box was as shown in this picture.
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dash4.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	5475
    • Pull the plastic trim off the support next to where the screw was
    • You can now move the dash where the aircon controls is still hooked in, which will allow you to wriggle the controls out
    • Unclip wiring

Remove centre dash (centre aircon vents)
    When the headunit was removed, you would've taken the long plastic dash strip off. Afterwards:
    • Unscrew 2 screws holding the cover down
    • the part is held in by clips - carefully remove
    • unclip wiring

Remove drivers lower dash
    • Unclip bonnet latch
    • Unscrew 2 screws
    • Remove drivers scuff plate
    • Remove drivers kick panel (there is a plastic lock tab)
    • Part is held in by clips

Remove cluster and steering wheel surrounds (requires removal of drivers lower dash)
    • Unscrew 3 screws located underneath of steering wheel surround
    • Remove surround (will take some wriggling with the steering wheel lock)
    • Top half of steering wheel surround is joined to the cluster surround. This part is all held in with clips
    • Cluster is held in by 3 screws (1 top, 2 bottom)

Installation
    Disconnect the battery!

Getting line level output to connect to factory harness
    Before you start installing, if you have Bose, you will need to fab up RCA cables to connect to the wiring harness. This is so you don't double amp the sound, which is what will happen if you use speaker level outputs from the headunit.

1. Get some audio RCA cables and cut it in half. You only need the terminals and probably 30cm of cable. However plan your cable management and cut accordingly.
    2. Strip the shielding off so that you expose the wires. Inner wire is +ve and outter -ve
    3. Twist the wire then crimp the male bullet terminal onto each of the -ve and +ve as shown in below pic
    4. Do this 4 times as you need 2 sets, for front and rear speakers, left and right

TIP: the second picture shows some new cables I made using twisted pair RCAs. This makes the installation a lot cleaner and easier.

Name:	rca.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	16257 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rca_twisted.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	16256

Headunit wiring
    How you wire the headunit harness to the factory harness is up to you. However if you plan to change the headunit later down the track back to stock, it would be best to get the Metra harness. I have chosen to get the Metra harness, which is what the below instructions will be for.

Check that the wire colours and their locations are the same on the factory harness as the wiring diagram attachment. If not, then you will need to use a voltmeter to see what your wires are.
    wiring_diagram.txt

1. Wire up the headunit harness to the Metra harness using the below attached wiring diagram EXCEPT the Illumination and speaker wires. You can either hardwire directy to the Metra harness, or like I did, use bullet terminals

Note: The Metra harness had the remote wire (Blue) in the incorrect pin. Not sure if they are all like this, but if it doesn't match up with the Factory harness, move the pin.
    2. Wire the Illumination wire of the Metra harness to the ashtray light. Even though the factory harness provides illumination, it does not provide a good signal and caused my headunit not to dim unless I dimmed the dash less than maximum brightness
    3. Connect the RCA to your headunit and then connect to the corresponding speaker location (eg. FL or FR) to the correct -ve and +ve wires on the Metra harness

If you just have a standard headunit without any extras, you're done with the wiring.

Navigation specific wiring
    If you have a navigation headunit, you will need some additional wiring done. I didn't do the parking brake or reverse as I didn't need/want to. However, I wasn't able to find a Vehicle speed sensor signal. If anyone knows where to find it, would be great. I have attached what info I did find, but it did not work.

• Parking brake wire is easily found at the parking brake
    • Reverse signal can be tapped from the rear
    • Vehicle speed sensor?

Cable routing and management
    It's extremely tight behind the headunit and there's little room directly behind the headunit. I cut away the plastic part directly behind the headunit to give extra room as shown in below pic. You will most likely will need to manage the routing of the wiring and also misc cables. Theres a decent amount of room below the headunit, behind the aircon controls. Hence its easier if you remove the aircon controls.

The following is what I have done in regards to routing the cables. Looks messy, but you're not going to see it anyway.

• I put my Ipod connection cable in the glovebox. Theres a part which pops out at the back of the glove box. Cut a hole and stick a grommet to make it look neat.
    • The GPS antenna was placed under the centre aircon vent. The signal I get is not effected in anyway.
    • Bluetooth mic was fed through between the cluster trim

Name:	dash0.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	5472

Steering wheel controls
    Follow the instructions that PAC provide. They are good enough :P. You do have to ground the wires that they say to ground. I just used a wire joiner to tap into the Metra harness ground

The response of the controls is like factory. Some people mentioned lag or needing to press the buttons harder. Same as before for me.
    Last edited by lup15; 30-05-2014 at 09:38 PM.

And pictures of final install. The info panel still displays the aircon info and AMB temp. It's not showing in below pics as I didn't have it in the ON pos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dash.jpg 
Views:	591 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	5477   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dash1.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	5478   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dash2.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	5479  
    Last edited by lup15; 12-09-2010 at 10:15 PM.

WOW u took apart ur whole dash. when i put my touch screen in, i took the trim off that runs just above the glove box to the drivers dash. this allows you to get to the 2 screws for the head unit, the bottom part just clips out. i had a metra dash kit mounting for the head unit and trim + wire harness. i connected the wires to the metra harness and jvc touch screen harness in the lounge room one night. had the stock unit out and new unit in 2hrs.( i ran it with boston accoustics amps and pro fronts+rear coax's) amp rack i weilded up painted sub box made and tuned, wires to suit took me 3 days to do it all.. had my dad help me extra pair of hands when i needed

Good write up tho

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

that was in my neo tho...
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

yea had take apart the dash as I've got navi/bluetooth/ipod

do u still get the climate control stuff to work?

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

i mean does it still appear in ur screen above ur head unit, as it did before?

yea, the info panel works fine for the aircon stuff and AMB temp. Obviously it doesn't display the time or the centre bit as that was associated with the factory headunit

Im confused as to why you dont need the BOSE cable?

my mate put one in his MPS a pioneer double din and he was told he needed a BOSE cable to connect it up
    but your saying we dont?

Whats the unit you installed?

Quote Originally Posted by buzurk View Post
    Im confused as to why you dont need the BOSE cable?

my mate put one in his MPS a pioneer double din and he was told he needed a BOSE cable to connect it up
    but your saying we dont?
    bose cable? I think that's if you hook the bose amp directly to the headunit speaker outputs, i.e. off the harness. What I did was get line level outputs from the RCA preouts of the headunits. its better this way anyway, as the signal is not processed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranton View Post
    Whats the unit you installed?
    Pioneer F20BT

Ok, just to clarify

your using the Front and Rear RCA outputs of the deck to feed the stock AMP, eliminating the need for a BOSE adapter?

THats a much better idea. and the osund is till loud?

yep sounds just fine. you will need to hack up some RCAs as explained in my guide, but besides that there isnt any issue

Looks good

BIG thanks to lup15 for this guide and as well as some additional help.

I did this install yesterday with a metra kit with harness, Pioneer avh-p4300 and some 3M Dinoc CF decals. Installation was very simple ( Feel free to PM me regarding where i bought my parts, price etc ). My first impression was the volume was definitely louder and alot more bass/clarity than the stock headunit. I was actually considering a subwoofer, but i think ill pass for now. Total cost of this project including headunits and all parts ( all brand from ebay ) was approx $550 aud. cheering !

( Note : The metra kit has a great fit. The picture looks a bit funny because i didnt actually push the headunit in fully as well as putting the dash trims back on )

Last edited by kelviN; 21-04-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Love the look of that, really nice!

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

So the Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD connects to your ipod/phone and you can control it using that?

Bump

i was told that the steering controls was via a unit that cost around 200 bucks, mine could be different as i have a kenwood tv in my mps, if i could get some advise on whats required to get steering controlls too ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jrbris View Post
    i was told that the steering controls was via a unit that cost around 200 bucks, mine could be different as i have a kenwood tv in my mps, if i could get some advise on whats required to get steering controlls too ?
    I was told the same thing. and just removed a kenwood dvd/gps/tv from mine and put in a sony. haven't tackled the steering wheel thing yet. but it looks as though the pac-audio stuff will work.
    Owner of the Mutant Gen I.

can you elaborate more on the PINout of the factory harness?
    in particular what is the layout of your pin numbers, i.e on the below image which one is pin 12 (steering wheel controls - as per your .txt)

Hi rayd, my instructions are for a 3 and assume you will use a metra harness. they are not for the 6 which I assume you are referring to, so I wouldn't be confident in giving you advice.

looks great mate! How did you get the mazda and mps on your loading screen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast