User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much power before urs goes?

Default How much power before urs goes?

As im starting to make some serious power now, others are getting up there as well. im looking at blown engine threads, it seems to be with little warning they blow. if u not hear the signs of this happening!! they talk about a ticking noise when ur rod starts to bend. if u dont hear this you can throw a rod through ur block. After reading on US forums and talking to Daniel at MPS Garage about some of the blown engines they have seen, im thinking about tuning my car with lower boost to be safe till i have time to put rods and pistons in it. im only after 220kw atw but after reading these im thinking twice... its a good read ( seems to be stock engines or high boost 17+ psi that go boom interesting ) just wanted to bring this up again maybe to save someones block mine included
    Mazdaspeed Forums
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

I've seen stock boost, stock tune cars go boom.

I've also seen firsthand cars with 23+psi boost still intact.

I'd say it is either poor tuning when they go boom on the dyno or the ECU changing from clsoed to open loop and vice-versa.

I'm aiming for 210kw@wheels on 15psi. Will ya'll know how I go...

^3071 or 2871 at 15 psi?

thats the only way youll make that power at that boost..
    all the timing in the world wont net you that

I wish you luck friend
    Doc

Luke i'm running 20 psi but it does spike to 22psi on occasion , boost is controlled by your right foot I rarely go above 15psi but 20psi boost is there if I need it .

Col
    Last edited by YOU LOSE; 12-09-2010 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    ^3071 or 2871 at 15 psi?

I wish you luck friend
    Doc
    I've had 206kw @ 16psi. I think with the "right" supporting mods, 210kw @ 15psi is possible.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Luke mines on the bottom in my Sig on 14.5PSI I'm at 189atw and run on this 95%-98% of the time with 483NM, 18PSI I normally only use this when I'm alone and have the need for speed and of course on the night cruise and that lovely crisp air we had that night going to leave it there for the time been and work on brakes and suspension....

^3071 or 2871 at 15 psi?

I wish you luck friend
    Doc
    Stock turbo, Doc.
    Will post up a thread on Wednesday...
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

As i've said before. There is NO evidence to support the amount of power has anything to do with engines going boom.

There have been stock engines, lightly modified and highly modified engines blow.
    So it CAN'T have anything to do with too much power. Unless stock is still too much power for the rods.

The closed loop/open loop theory has merit, as does the sticking wastegate theory.
    I will back the sticking wastegate theory because of one main reason. A friend of Dads who has had more experience and rebuilt more engines than every single person on this forum combined (i mean no disrespect to everyones experience - but its most likely to be true) He took one look at a bent MPS rod and right away said "thats out of a turbo charged engine isn't it?" "I've only ever seen rods bent like that in turbo charged engines and the cause was a sticking wastegate in every one of them"
    Thats good enough for me

Turbo Fuse

anyone want to give it a shot?

if wategate should 'stick' this will just open up your bov/bpv
    Last edited by Doc; 12-09-2010 at 10:01 PM.

^ they should come stock out of the factory at mazda.

roger that

Wont work with a HKS SSQV bov though

get a gfb one.. much better

how do u check if ure wastegate is sticking?

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

is the ticking loud and how obvious is it?Cos i wouldnt have a clue if its the high pressure injectors or a rod bending tick

you check if the wategate is sticking by looking at your boost gauge.. its its reading 30 psi while your at WOT.. its safe to say its stuck closed..

if you have a bent rod youll know because your clutch pedal will vibrate/pulsate a fair bit when your push is down slowly...

you check if the wategate is sticking by looking at your boost gauge.. its its reading 30 psi while your at WOT.. its safe to say its stuck closed..
    and that your wallet is about to get a whole lot lighter

Im not disputing the sticky wastegate theory, but I was of the impression that our wastegates were in the open position until we started building boost, more so for economy reasons. Surely if its going to get stuck it would be in this initial closing movement rather than when opening a second or two later to relieve boost pressure.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

I put my hand up for stock un touched bent rod! YAY...

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    I put my hand up for stock un touched bent rod! YAY...
    Spewing.... Catastrophic? Or could you tell before it left the crank case??

if you have a bent rod youll know because your clutch pedal will vibrate/pulsate a fair bit when your push is down slowly...
    Just found this reply, bit late I know.

That doc is not quite true with the sticking wastegate theory.
    The theory (which has been proven to do the same damage on other engines) is that it DOES NOT "overboost" but it does have too much boost for the given rpm.
    For example if it was to stick, it might, just briefly, produce 15psi boost at 1500rpm.
    Enough to damage an engine so quickly there is no way you'll see it on the boost gauge, because it's not producing more boost, the blow off valve won't work and the dash hawk won't show anything unusual.
    The engine DOES NOT overboost.

This has been known to happen on other engines repaired by dads mate, the former investigator for GEM engines.
    Problem is that it's impossible to detect and prove that it's what's wrong.
    He rebuilt these motors and they blew again, changed the wastegate, no more blow ups

Without being able to replicate the fault I dont believe we'll ever know the truth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast