User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19's - ride quality and legality

Default 19's - ride quality and legality

Hey just wanted some feedback on 19's on the MPS3 as i really want 19's but i am worried about ride quality, i am more than likely getting it lowered as well so not sure if its better to lower more with 18's or get 19's and drop a little.

So if anyone has 19's any feedback would be great, i just dont want to get the 19's and the ride is to ruff, also the there is nothing illegal with the 19's if i stay with in the rolling diameter limits
    06 MPS3 - MZR sri - bov - 18" speedy Fins - FOR SALE
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...tml#post164434

Ive got 19 x 8 +45 BBoss rims with 235 / 35 / 19 Kumho KU19 tyres, I am runnning Eibach springs, Cobb sway bars and stock struts, legally this is OK as you are only going 1" bigger in both dimensions.
    I am about to get a set of 18's again after cracking the inner lip of one rim, I could repair it for about $150, but honestly Im over the 19s thing, more trouble than they are worth, they look nice, but thats about the limit of them. I am also about to fit a set of coilovers so ride will be even firmer with this setup, If you want a cheap set of 19's with tyres to try out the idea let me know.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Ive got 19 x 8 +45 BBoss rims with 235 / 35 / 19 Kumho KU19 tyres, I am runnning Eibach springs, Cobb sway bars and stock struts, legally this is OK as you are only going 1" bigger in both dimensions.
    Don't forget to consider offset and tyre diameter, as well as rim size, when changing to a larger rim.

For those in NSW...
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...vsi09_rev4.pdf

Wheels

As a general rule, it is recommended you only fit wheels and tyres that are listed on the tyre placard or in the owner’s handbook. These have been tested and proved for your car.
    Sometimes the range of wheels listed by the manufacturer may appear to be limited. While it is recommended that you only fit these wheels, the RTA does not oppose the fitting of wheels outside the range providing they are safe for the vehicle.
    An important requirement for all replacement wheels is that the wheel track must not be increased by more than 25mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle.
    Where non original axle or suspension components are fitted, the offset of the wheel in relation to the axle or stub axle assembly used shall not be increased by more than 12.5mm each side of the vehicle based on the specifications of the axle components used. If an axle assembly is shortened then the track width limit is taken as the axle manufacturers original track dimension, less the amount the assembly has been narrowed, plus 25mm.
    If you are contemplating fitting non original axle or suspension components you should seek the guidance of a signatory as engineering certification will be required (see page 3).

Minor changes to wheels

Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA.
    The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle.

Replacement wheels requiring an engineering certificate
    Wheels that exceed the diameter and width limits for minor wheel changes must be assessed by a signatory. If the signatory finds that the wheels are safe for your vehicle, you will be issued with an engineering certificate.
    The vehicle owner must notify the RTA so that registration records can be updated. This is done by obtaining an “Adjustment of Records” and a “blue slip” from an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (AUVIS).
    (contact the RTA Customer Service Centre on 13 22 13 for details of your nearest AUVIS).
    The Adjustment of Records, blue slip and engineering certificate are then presented at a Motor Registry.

The owners copy of the engineering certificate is stamped and endorsed by the RTA and must be kept in the vehicle. This certificate must be presented to an authorised officer of the RTA or the Police when requested.

well i have decided to go with 18's and lowering it by 30mm, im looking at the Speedy fin 18's at the moment as im sure the 19's would be to rough for everyday use

Quote Originally Posted by Wados View Post
    well i have decided to go with 18's and lowering it by 30mm, im looking at the Speedy fin 18's at the moment as im sure the 19's would be to rough for everyday use
    I've got the old model, Speedy Lite Fin II.

I like them very much.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

don't ignore wheel weight either

1 thing to be careful of. You mentioned about the legality of fitting 19s, but you have forgotten about one thing, the legality of lowering your car.
    30mm is too much of a drop legally, and on top of that ride height must be more than 100mm. Standard height is 120mm

thanks for the heads up about the height i will have a chat to the shop maybe he told me the incorrect height drop

i spoke to the shop and they advised me they are king springs lows so height will still be with in legal limits, now after abit of research i see a few people running lows in the front and super lows in the back as it gives an even stance. is this correct as i will let the shop know as the car should be going in next friday

pics i have seen of lows in the front and super lows in the back look great

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	5623

Got the new wheels yesterday and the car lowered was happy with the results went with the speedy fin, posted a few more pics in members rides and hopefully take some high quality images when it stops raining

11. Default

Looks good

From my own experience with having 19's I would recommend you stay with a 40 series tyre on them.

While this will change your rolling diameter, it actually helps correct mazda's woefully inaccurate speedo lol.

Just be aware that if you are lowering and going 19's with 40 series rubber, you are going to be increasing the diameter of the whole wheel, and will need more space accordingly.

I wouldnt be going for a very big drop in this case, as you will scrub the tyres like mad.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    From my own experience with having 19's I would recommend you stay with a 40 series tyre on them.

While this will change your rolling diameter, it actually helps correct mazda's woefully inaccurate speedo lol.

Just be aware that if you are lowering and going 19's with 40 series rubber, you are going to be increasing the diameter of the whole wheel, and will need more space accordingly.

I wouldnt be going for a very big drop in this case, as you will scrub the tyres like mad.
    Yeah i went 18's just simply cause i didnt want to worry about how the ride quality would be after i lowered it.

Hey guys,

Got an issue that needs to be resolved.

I've upgraded my MPS6's rims with 19s that were left over from my magna. I bought them second hand so I'm not 100% but I think theyre 19x8 and theyre running 235/35/19r tyres.

Anyway, they are fine aside from the drivers side rear wheel. It is scrubbing massively to the point where its damaging the tyre but only when there is load on the wheels ie uneven driveways, passengers in the back etc.

Obviously, I dont want to sell the rims and go back down to 18s but would narrower tyres ie 205s or 215s fix the problem? Or would it be better to get these tyres and roll my rear guards?

Cheers in advance guys

cost me $220 for all 4 guards.. sydney guard rolling...

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

others here recommended him and he did do a good job on mine

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    cost me $220 for all 4 guards.. sydney guard rolling...

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

others here recommended him and he did do a good job on mine
    Awesome, wheres he located in Sydney? Do you reckon that would fix it as opposed to fitting thinner tyres?

17. Default

Yep Nelson from Sydney Guard Rolling does a top job. How much is it rubbing by on the tyre ?

On the drivers side rear, pretty bad. Like the guard is actually cutting into the tyre when theres load in the back / going up my driveway on an angle. Its weird because the passenger side is perfectly fine...

19. Default

He should be able to fix it, what he does it totally flatten the inside of your guard, so where there is currently like a right angle sticking in, which will be what is cutting into your tyre, he fold that right back on itself so its flush on the inside of the guard. A heap of members on here have used him.

Weird its on one side though, have you had alignment and balance since fitting the new wheels ?

Not yet. My old man said that but theres no vibration when driving (which I've been told is balance) and the car goes perfectly straight unassisted (allignment) but might be worth looking into. When entering my driveway, with the angle to get in there is more weight on the drivers side but when driving theres obviously no bias at all. It would even scrub when I gave it some with people in the back.

That sounds pretty good, does he do weekend work and approximately how long does it take?

At least theres some viable solutions, the missus suggested going back down to 18s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast