User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please share your views of everyday life with a current model MPS3...

1. Default Please share your views of everyday life with a current model MPS3...

hi all

not trying to be poetic or philosophical, but as I'm quite keen to get a current model MPS3, I'd love to know owner's long term views...

especially after the initial honeymoon period is over!

eg...how is it in traffic, how is the AC on really hot days, is there much lag like when crossing a busy intersection (with AC on)... Can you 'lazily' toodle about town, or does it need to be revved all the time to get decent acceleration?

How is it as a family car?

I'm asking, because I had a CX7 for 3 years, and loved it some days, but hated it others (especially in summer....issues with lag, performance, AC, etc). Had a few warranty issues with the 7, including VVT acuator, knock sensor, AC compressor, and AC that blew warm air when you came to a stop( never resolved)

Anyway, I now have a 2008 Golf GTI which is like a lovable, but naughty kid. Fun to drive (in sport/manual mode) but has loads of rattles, trim buzzes, probs with the DSG gearbox, and is only 2 doors (in my case!). To some extent the issues are overwhelming my enjoyment...and somehow affecting my trust for the car in the long term.

I've been reading through this forum, and also online reviews of the MPS3, but
    would appreciate any insight or views, esp from longer term owners

many thanks

Satz

well, I've only had mine for 3-4 months now (a gen 1 model) so not 100% sure how much use i'll be...
    i do alot of driving around inner sydney, and the only time i have issues getting through interections is when it's wet and i use too much trottle...

the air con is absolutely fine for me, but i havent had it in summer yet... dont need revs, 2000-2250 rpm is more than enough for me to move off easily, even with 3 other people in the car

in traffic, well, the legs can get a bit sore with constant stop start driving, but that's a given with a manual gearbox and crappy sydney traffic

in terms of a family car... compared to a standard mazda 3... the suspension is a bit firmer (obviously) and it was noticed when i went back to see my parents when they went from their mazda 3 into my MPS... nothing bad, but they certainly noticed it...
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 09-09-2010 at 11:27 AM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Iv had mine for abour 16000km so far, so probably still in the 'honeymoon' period, but have a few comments
    Iv found it relativle pleasent to drive around town. The car is much lighter than the CX7 so you pretty much have good acceleration wherever you are, very few issues with lag. The rediculous amount of torque helps quite a bit on this front too. Very easy to change lanes, overtake etc when your over about 2000 rpm

No ac problems so far, im very happy with the climate control system too. Never failed to cool the car down nor heat it up.

One issue that can be a bit irritating in peak hour traffic is the clutch - its almost to the point that it's either on or off, nothing in the middle. Its also rather heavy so creeping a few meters at a time can become both frustrating and quite exhausting after a while. Thats only in the extreme however, at all other times its easy to use.

Warranty wise - and this might just be my car, but there have been a few problems. Lots of creaks and rattles which occasionaly get fixed, but the main issue was a completly shot turbo the day after my 10,000km service. Seals went and whole thing had to be ripped out and replaced - but honestly, I hope it dies the same just before its out of warranty - free new turbo!

Also, and this probably goes for the golf too, the handling makes it much more reassuring to drive. When I have to drive my family's other cars (toyota corolla, falcon station wagon, toyota prius) its bordering on scary how little controll you have even at slow speeds. This in my opinion is one of the nicest things about the MPS - it inspires confidence all the time.

Overall, Im very happy with the car. It's easy to live with in the city, and lots of fun out on country roads.
    Last edited by Lachlan; 09-09-2010 at 11:45 AM.
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

4. Default

thanks guys, for the responses so far

It's good to find out info that you don't get from magazine reviews
    Guess I'm seriously considering between an MPS and a Ford XR6 Turbo. But the size and the economy on the XR6T concern me...

Do you find the engine performance reduces on hot days? Especially if the car has been parked hot, and then driven after say 30min?
    On the Cx7 it used to result in a noticeable loss of power, and poor AC performance.

I always guessed that was due to underbonnet heat soak, which I'm hoping the new MPS doesn't have much of, thanks to its hood vent?

Hope the turbo blowing is not a widespread issue?
    cheers

Satz

Hi Satz and to ozMPSclub

As you will see in my sig below, I own a MPS6. I thought a few comments on the 6 may offer a different yet similar perspective. Not trying to persuade you to get a 6, just a few things I can mention for info. Most of my comments below can be reflected on the MPS3 but I'll try incorporate on a basis of an MPS3 (from what I know) if that makes it easier.

How is it in traffic: I assume you mean heavy traffic? Generally the MPS is a performance car BUT on the other hand it can be very tame and reasonably smooth. I'm not talking European style transmission smooth but easy enough to comfortably drive through traffic on a daily basis. With the MPS6 the clutch can get a bit of getting used to and also the AWD and initial weight of the car sometimes requires a bit of licence to realising the clutch and giving revs etc. I can only imagine the 3MPS is a much more "user friendly" vehicle in traffic.

How is the A/C: Very good. I wouldn't go so far as to say brilliant as I believe some vehicles have it better. HOWEVER with auto-climate control I find at any point hot or cold its easy to find my comfort zone. Often even feeling a little cold on a really hot day with the A/C on and bumping the temp up a little. Only experience one summer in my car is saying that!

Lag with the A/C on...no, in my opinion. Naturally having the A/C draws more power but in the newer cars these days I find its less and less of an issue. I used to turn the A/C off to overtake in my old car. The MPS doesn't even feel it, no difference at all. Not to mention the A/C and radiator fans are exceptionally quiet in these cars.

As far as lag goes across an intersection...the MPS6 requires a bit of revs to get the 1.6tonne right off the line. With AWD, all it wants to do is grip, as does the clutch. I won't lie the MPS6 has the smallest bit of lag if you do not know how to drive it. Throttle first, then clutch and my 400+Nm takes over. Once again, I can imagine in the 3MPS this is only better. As far as turbo lag, very minimal - none. That's the one good thing about these cars is the lack of turbo lag. Just to mention, if you know how to drive it right OR you want to put your foot down, don't be surprised if you blow past a V8 off the mark in the 3 and especially in the 6MPS (wet)

Yeah you can lazily drive around town. I think stock the MPS spools onto positive boost around 2,500RPM. With my mods I seem to be spooling at least 3-400RPM sooner. With so much torque in these motors, pushing it over 3,500RPM means you're well and truly moving. I used to redline my last N/A pulsar all the time, not the case with 400+Nm (max torque @ 3,000RPM) As scarcastic one mentioned, put people in the car and its still goes really well. I left a VE SS ute behind once with a mate in the car.

If you wish to know common problems with the MPS check out the "tech talk" section or on this thread below

mazda-3-mps-gen-ii-problems-you-have-had-warranty-fixes

I honestly can't comment to the practicality of the 3 as a family car. All I can say is possibly the 6 is a larger car and therefore a little better for size and comfort (kids in the back) but I've never been in a 3MPS so I best leave that answer open. Also depends on the size of the family. Toddlers or teens in the back?

I think you will like the MPS series vehicles in either 6 or 3. They're both two cars at heart. The stylish car that is reliable, getting you were you want to go. Or the car that leaves a grin on your face and gives you a thrill. Two cars in one really...

Hope that answers a few questions you had

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by satz View Post
    thanks guys, for the responses so far

It's good to find out info that you don't get from magazine reviews
    Guess I'm seriously considering between an MPS and a Ford XR6 Turbo. But the size and the economy on the XR6T concern me...

Do you find the engine performance reduces on hot days? Especially if the car has been parked hot, and then driven after say 30min?
    On the Cx7 it used to result in a noticeable loss of power, and poor AC performance.

I always guessed that was due to underbonnet heat soak, which I'm hoping the new MPS doesn't have much of, thanks to its hood vent?

Hope the turbo blowing is not a widespread issue?
    cheers

Satz
    I have come from big V8's like the SLR 5000,Brocks and HSV's etc, I normally only hang on to my cars for 2 years and get bored with them except for my HSV GTO i had to let go . I have the 08 Gen 1 sports and just turned 2 years old on the 1st of August and I'm just having so much fun with it that i'm keeping it when I get the new car in the new year. It's never missed a beat and no problems except for a loose swaybar when new, love the power love how it drives love everything about it ..... And I had many cars in my 29years of driving i can tell you....You will not be disappointed....
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Hi Satz, welcome to the forum!

I've had mine since December 09 - just over 11,000kms.

This is my first perfomance car and I don't really have a lot of technical knowledge but here goes...........

In traffic I find the MPS performs really well, the only time I have any issue is in start stop traffic, I find the clutch gets a little heavy but it definitely doesn't bother me enough to not want to own the car. It's got great pick up with not a lot of effort when you need to zip round the odd slow poke or make it through a light that still has plenty of green left in it. It's also very easy to speed in which I really need to keep a close eye on!!!

I basically have my AC on all the time in the car so haven't really noticed whether there is a great deal of difference to power when it is turned off. I've only experienced one summer in the car having bought in December last year but find the aircon quite responsive and can always be adjusted to my perfect temp. I don't really have anything other than a Mazda Astina to compare that too though.

I'm the only one in mine most of the time and am single, my best friend travels in it a bit though and has commented on the suspension - that is feels more rough than her Mazda 3 Maxx Sport. It's not something that really bothers me though.

I've not had any warranty issues other than the cruise control occasionally deciding to turn itself off, which is a common complaint with other owners as you would have seen in the thread from Rogwick's post. I had some internal door clips come loose on the driver's side door but that was because Tint-a-Car did a total butcher job on a $600 tint package and damaged my car while they were at it. Only other issue I experienced was the clutch plate shifted about 2 months after I got the car which felt a bit weird but I am used to the new position now so it's all good.

Not really sure whether this has helped at all but good luck with your decision!!!
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Well I have had my 3MPS since Jan 07 and travelled over 150000kms

I have not had any issues or warranty claims and my car was stock for most of it.

I change my oil every 5000kms and rotate my tyres as well.

You cant really compare the CX-7 and 3MPS...as yes they have the same motor...but CX-7 is AWD, auto and less power torque and different turbo.

MPS has no lag...wel you cant notice it....heat soak isnt an issue...unless your stuck in traffic and not moving.

Once you start moving....it cools down very quickly.

Its manual as well...not auto..so lag will be reduced.

More power and torque as well....and also about 300kgs less wait and FWD.

No rattles inside my cabin....suspension is hard and firm....heaps of tyre noises..depending on your tyres.

Susp does creak and rattle...but you just get is serviced etc..

Anyways....the best way to experience it...is to drive one

Not sure on Gen2....but after owning a Gen1 for over 3years.....i think the Gen2 is only different in the shell and interior..

But they have *refined* the car to be more driver friendly and smoother.....etc

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Owned a Gen 1 since March 08. Still in the honeymoon period, will be for the forseeable future

I seriously never get tired of looking at it OR driving it.

Look after it, it'll look after you.

I am at 25,000km

lag is not an issue, one of the main benefits of the MPS is the power on tap.

There has been some rattles but half have been the seat belts not placed back correctly and then hitting the plastic's near by.

it is a firm ride but easy to live with.

I have no issues as a every day car.

It would be more hard core than the GTI and more fun.

You can drive it lazily around town but what fun is that?

One of the things that surprised me is how great a cruiser it is. You put it in to 6th and it quieten down and changes to a great cruiser. (so much better than the SP23 i had)

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    I seriously never get tired of looking at it OR driving it.
    well said
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMPS View Post
    One of the things that surprised me is how great a cruiser it is. You put it in to 6th and it quieten down and changes to a great cruiser. (so much better than the SP23 i had)
    only bad thing about it is it likes sitting at 3000rpm... which (in a gen 1) in 6th is 130km/hr
    cruise control is your friend!

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Leelu View Post
    well said
    what she said ^
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

13. Default

fantastic info all you guys!

many thanks. It gives a nice warm fuzzy feeling in me to know how people love their cars!

I'm hoping to test drive one very soon (perhaps today!), and XR6T for a second time. Does that seem an odd choice to make? I guess what appeals in the latter is the RWD, and brutish performance, though what doesn't appeal is that it's a Ford (and those slightly tacky blue rings around the speedo!). WAF (wife acceptance factor) is higher on the Mazda!

wife acceptance factor?

if i had to buy a family sized sedan, it would be an XR6T
    but i dont, so i didnt joys of being single and early 20's

the best thing i can advice is pile the kids and missus into the cars and see how it suits

15. Default

I liked the MPS6 when I had one, and the 3's go nicely too.

Better fuel consumption than my RX8... heheh.

Having my GenII since August 2009 (first one sold at South City Mt Gravatt, but not first out the door) and with 13,900km on the clock... The honeymoon period is still ongoing.

What do I think of it? Hellishly fun to drive - still manage to suprise other motorists. Yes there is major design changes in the cosmetics department, which has caused many debates, however personal taste is where its at.

Mechanically, there is very little difference GenI to GenII - the transmission has been changed slightly (2nd gear is actually a bit "taller"), and the engine is largely unchanged. Power and torque output is also unchanged. There has been some suspension tweaks - to make it sit better, and also assists in the "torque steer" - which is fun anyhow.

It's a fun car to drive, yes stiff suspension, but its how its meant to feel. Would I consider changing? HELL NO. This car is awesome. It's my 3rd Mazda and I absolutely love it. Perhaps a little too OCD when it comes to the shine factor, but, it's my pride and joy. Fuel wise, like any turbo car, it can get thirsty, if you have a heavy foot. I get 400ish km around town (8km to and from work mainly... average speed is only 30km/hr - stop/start traffic). On the highway I can get Brisbane to Rockhampton comfortably - 650km.

Do yourself a favour and drive one, just don't put around town, give it some stick and hold on tight.
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Quote Originally Posted by satz View Post
    hi all

not trying to be poetic or philosophical, but as I'm quite keen to get a current model MPS3, I'd love to know owner's long term views...

especially after the initial honeymoon period is over!

eg...how is it in traffic, how is the AC on really hot days, is there much lag like when crossing a busy intersection (with AC on)... Can you 'lazily' toodle about town, or does it need to be revved all the time to get decent acceleration?

How is it as a family car?

It's very good planning to ask these kinds of questions

Ive had my Gen 2 for a few months now and there are a couple of minor shortcomings but on the whole, I love it.

To answer your questions directly:
    In Traffic:
    Light clutch means it isn't a pain like a WRX to drive in traffic, overall it is pretty good but visibility out the back both in the rear view mirror (Due to the small back window and sloping roof line) and while reversing are not the best. It's no worse than the Golf was (Which I also test drove), but the Impreza had very good visibility by comparison.

AC:
    Other than the fact Auto mode is incredibly stupid, it works very well. Just never hit the auto button, it does idiotic things like turn off circulate and make you breathe exhaust fumes. Dual zone climate control, works superbly.

Lag crossing busy intersections:
    Not a problem, this is a monumentally powerful hot hatch which leads into the next one.

Can you drive it Lazily:
    This is a large reason why I bought one, you can trundle around at 2000rpm all day in 3rd gear and it is more willing than basically any comparable car. The fact it can be driven fast, AND lazily was one of the biggest factors in deciding on this car. Having lots of power is not something only car enthusiasts and lunatics can benefit from. The lazy among us can take advantage of great low end torque as well.

As a family car:
    Practicality wise, its great. Split folding rear seats, a well laid out boot. Anchor points for child restraints.
    Rear leg room is sufficient but not spectacular.

Out on the highway is where the performance really comes into its own. This car has more overtaking power than pretty much anything on the road.

The common complaints I have with it are these:

1. Visibility could be better

2. Parking it straight is not the easiest due to visbility + angled lines of the windows which make it hard to line up with parking spaces (getting used to this tho)

3. The cruise control has a well known glitch in it that makes it basically turn off after you coast down a hill. Quite annoying and Mazda don't believe it's a problem - it is.

So its a great car, I love it and have zero regrets about buying one. It isn't perfect but no car is, and I sure as hell feel justified in my purchase every time I hear about someone who has to spend thousands of dollars to get their stupid DSG gearbox serviced.
    For me, it came down to the Golf GTI and the MPS when I was buying my car, I got the Mazda for a few main reasons;
    a. Its bigger
    b. The dash/controls layout and cabin ergonomics are much better
    c. it's faster, more powerful and can be driven lazily
    d. its cheaper, and has a standard feature list that makes the golf look like a rip off
    e. I didnt have to wait 3 months to get one
    f. Its key doesnt require it's own postcode, and never has to leave your pocket.
    Last edited by Reedy; 09-09-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Smile Mps rehab for turbo junkies u can checkout but u can never leave!!!!

Satz the message is up there Ive had my MPS gen 1 since may 2007 have now clocked up 80.000 klm's , it is the absolute best car i've ever had I live in Cairns ,the airconditioner is never off, it copes with the extreme tropical hot weather & humidity on a dailly basis I did a road trip Cairns - Batemans Bay - Cairns in 2008, 10k in total in 8 days the mps endured every concievable road condition you could experiance in Aust ,Tropical heat ,rain, hail , - 4 deg , black ice & snow Not a single problem & comfotable to drive long distances as well ,with 2 altinating drivers non stop most of the journey.Buy a MPS you won't regret it , they are the best !! I fully agree with the comments above Ive had performance cars for the last 45 years the MPS eclipes them all , truely amazing car I will never sell it !! THE CAR IS MODDED MY WIFE HATES IT !!! she calls madaz the other woman as the luv affair with the mps continues .

Col
    Last edited by YOU LOSE; 10-09-2010 at 05:10 AM.
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

I've only had mine for a couple of weeks, but as I've read from several people here, the honeymoon period with these cars can last years

My Gen IV Golf GTI was the trade-in and whilst I don't regret my time with the Golf, the MPS is, in my opinion, in a different league. My thoughts pretty much mirror Reedy's post, particularly the part about being ably to drive it lazily.

Much of the mileage I do in an average week is to and from work, which is a 20k one-way hike mostly through traffic. Much of it is stop start stuff, but there's a bit in the middle where I jump on the freeway for a few k's before getting off and hitting the stop start stuff again.

I've found the MPS to be a brilliant car to putter about off-turbo crawling from one red light to the next ..... until I get to the freeway onramp.......

Then I get off the freeway and it's back to

The difference between the Golf and the MPS, was once I hit the freeway in the Golf, it was ok....not stunning..... just ok. It...didn't...excite...me

Whereas the MPS is great everywhere

Best advice I could give is to find a dealer who'll loan you an MPS for a night or a weekend (that's what I did and it was instrumental in making up my mind). Put it through heavy traffic, freeways, and also the twisty bits and see what you think. Many people don't like the somewhat less compromising nature of the MPS when compared to cars like the Golf or XR5/6 Turbo, but for others it suits us to a tee. No right or wrong, just what feels best for you and yours.

Good Luck...... it's a nice position to be in to have options

Dan
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by Lardman View Post
    I liked the MPS6 when I had one, and the 3's go nicely too.

Better fuel consumption than my RX8... heheh.
    tell me about it used to get 400kms at best with my rx8 and thats with a bit of freeway driving
    2005 Mazda MPS6 Radiant Ebony Luxury-Pack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast