User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please share your views of everyday life with a current model MPS3...

Blog Entries

Great idea for a thread. Moving to Featured Discussions

Comments from an MPS6 owner, but equally applicable to a MPS3, in the areas queried, I feel. With 195 Kw on tap (stock), way more than the Golf, the ~5Kw drawn by an air-con is academic and barely noticeable, if at all, in traffic. The DISI engine has more torque than most V8s from way low down, so tootling in traffic with minimal throttle is a doddle. My car is tweaked but has no vices and needs no revs to get off the line. They will potter along in 3rd at idle and 4th at 1500-1700 rpm, as long as you don't expect to take on any serious competition from that point. I enjoy the clutch and like its directness.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Not current model but still applies...

- Putts around on zero boost OK, and the extra power on boost is handy when needed through traffic (as are the awesome brakes)
    - Suspension can be a bit firm on crap roads, but is great otherwise
    - Clutch becomes tiresome in real stop-start traffic (i.e. commuting and taking 40 minutes to do 5km in peak hour)
    - All the good points of the regular Mazda 3 hatchback are still there (comfortable, handy 60/40 rear split seats which fold down, good visibility, good stereo, decent AC etc)

Basically they're an extremely rapid Mazda 3 which is a little firmer/harder around the edges than a normal one. I have commuted every day in mine and can probably count on one hand the amount of times I wish I had something else, mainly when driving through roadworks...

But, the capability available when you go above 6/10 is staggering and worth any comprises that are inherant in the car.

i ownd a gen 1 mps for over a year. still on the honey moon! like Col my mrs not a fan of my car hates it even more since i have been driving her car while i have some modds done.. Went to see the progress at mps garage today as soon as i saw it i look to my dad 'who was riddin shot gun with me' said looks better everyday... never get tired of it.. love it
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

I must admit it isn't actually the most comfortable thing to dive as much as I do I'm affraid to say! No matter what way I set the multi adjustable seats I just don't feel like I can achieve the ultimate driving position like I strangly got in my XR6T... I'll persist

Absolutely love my Gen2, and had a Gen 1 for 3 yrs, I still smile everyday i drive the gen 2 and some times just go for a spin.
    There a good points and bad with all models and manufacturers,no such thing as a perfect car for all needs.

The gen 2 has some refinements as to engine management and handling /driveability compared to gen1,IMO take your pick both are a hoot.
    More and more mod options are becoming available and forums can offer excellent recommendations as to mods.

You are spending some serious dollars today for a car and some times lengthy hire purchase, so buy the car u want and be happy. We all cant afford a Ferrari.

Smile to yourself when someone admires your ride ,Buy the MPS, mod it to buggery ,laugh out loud when someone tries to burn u at the lights the look of on their face is worth every cent u paid.

Life is too serious ,have some fun .

7. Default finally managed a test drive!

hi all

been great reading all your feedback so far! thank you.

Managed to have a test drive of a current model MPS last weekend. A red one (nice colour!)

Like the poster above I found it hard to get a comfortable driving position, but that could just be that I didn't spend enough time setting it up.

The car wasn't as 'wild' as I expected. Yes there was torque steer when accelerating around a sharp corner, but nothing a throttle lift-off couldn't sort! The salesgirl encouraged me to try it out! Felt like a big-engined car, but also felt 'heavier' than I expected (again perhaps nerves )

The interior was very 'japanese' looking! Despite my 3 years with a CX7, this one was really red and dramatic! I think I've got used to the minimalist German interior of my GTI? I found the inbuilt navigator easier to use than I expected via the steering control

Back seat was quite small, considering the length of the car, as was the boot.

Liked the exhaust note at idle from outside

Hoping to get another drive (but hoping they call me back !)

best wishes

S

I average 600km a tank and I 'never' nurse it.

In traffic, although someone people might find the clutch a bit heavy the car is almost unstallable. Lots of torque. My main gripe with the clutch is the release point is so low (near the firewall) and at first this takes some getting used to with fast shifts.

Handling is impressive for such a heavy hatch. It can be very hairy at the limit and the odd touch of the brakes to tuck in the nose is needed. I love front wheel drives for the sheer stability in a corner, understeer = brake/ oversteer = throttle. its no where near the fun factor or butt puckering awesomeness of a N/A rwd at full throttle but it makes up for it with the turbo once you hit the straight again.

Interior can get a bit staid after a while, plastics wear well however and almost a year down the track it still has its new car smell. All leather seats would have been worth a couple of grand premium. Sound system is flawless, sat nav is tiny and Amy, the sat nav fairy in my dash, is annoying as hell. 18 odd buttons on the steering wheel is overkill.

Brakes are great and well set up for the car. Down hill and pushing hard there is some shimmy in the back but its not nearly as bad as other cars I've owned or driven. Some decent aftermarket pads are a go if you keep that sort of thing up.

Smile factor - That intangible fizzle behind your penis that James may goes on about. This car has it in spades, 11 months and it still makes me smile and giggle like a school girl when I floor it up the Gaza rd entrance to the highway. Even the ridiculous understeer that tries to kill you mid corner makes you smile :P

Quote Originally Posted by ClintMPS View Post
    I average 600km a tank and I 'never' nurse it.

This car has it in spades, 11 months and it still makes me smile and giggle like a school girl when I floor it up the Gaza rd entrance to the highway.
    I must be 'doing it wrong, I only average just over 400 in mine.

OMG! Gaza road is my fave onramp

Sent from my iPhone by LeeTapatalk =P
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Default Cx-7

Hi Satz, i owned a cx-7 for just over 4 years. It was a great car for the 1st 3 years & after the warranty had finished, thats when the problems started to happen. Mazda said they have leiway of 2 months after warranty finishes, my luck it was 3  I forked out over $1200 worth of repairs since the cx-7 was out of warranty. That is how i came to trade the cx-7 in for a 2011 3MPS. This time round, i have standard 3years warranty PLUS an extra 4years warranty for signing on M DAY! The MPS has 7years stantard factory warranty which is a big piece of mind, especially after what happened to me with the cx-7.

[QUOTE=Mps2011;186761]Hi Satz, i owned a cx-7 for just over 4 years. It was a great car for the 1st 3 years & after the warranty had finished, thats when the problems started to happen. Mazda said they have leiway of 2 months after warranty finishes, my luck it was 3

Ok, not quite sure what happened there.

I was trying to say I wad surprised M Day gave you 7 years. My M Day got me an additional year with a Total of 4...oh well. That's a win for you!!!

I would be VERY surprised if it was a full Mazda factory warranty for 7 years. Cant see it happening.......

Mate you wont regret getting a MPS, no one I have spoken too has, everyone I know loves them. Heaps of power, my Wifes near stocko MPS chops my worked SS with 230kw atw. And I much prefer driving the MPS to the SS. Just feels more "alive" than the SS UTE. Very easy to live with, get over 550km every tank and just a all round great car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12