Thread: Inside Tyre Wear

Default Inside Tyre Wear

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyre Wear.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	5417
    Anyone experienced this?

Inside of both front tyres, original Dunlop’s done nearly 20k. Close to indicators on the inside of the tyre and a fair amount of wear on the outside edge of the tyre. I do drive quite hard around home and there is very few straight stretches here.

But the inside wear is a bit of a surprise. I was wondering if the unloaded tyre on the inside when cornering was spinning to match the outside wheel speed due to the LSD. I'm scratching my head a bit about it as my previous FWD always wore through on the outside edge more.

Any comments or similar experiences would be appreciated.

And on a side note I’m going to go for Bridgestones (not goodyear dingus) Adrenalin’s as the replacement for the Dunlop’s.

Cheers,

Doug.
    Last edited by DougMPS; 06-09-2010 at 09:19 PM.
    Current Garage
    2009 Mazda 3 MPS Luxury
    2002 Renault Clio Sport 172

WOW Doug..... Not for me in the Gen 1 that is...

Goodyear or do you mean Bridgestones???

Hey mate, yea i have also experienced this similar situation in my Gen 2... I had it serviced and they told me they "recommend" 2 new front tyres... I told them to do a swap with the back ones, do an alignment and leave it

The problem i dont understand was, on the side door panel if you read it properly it says to pump up to 32psi but according to the workshop they think its "under-inflated" and that's what could have been the issue... After the serviced they had it at 38psi @ all 4 tyres and it seems to last a little longer... I'm trying to hold it out as long as possible as i would like to get a set of Advan ad08s with some new rims... But this issue still confuses me... It almost seems like the description on the side door panel was for a normal mazda 3 not the mps?

40 PSI for everyday.
    35 PSI for road.
    30-33 for track.

u could change the toe.( prob 1mm more toe in) small toe in will help this will make the cornering a bit diff, will turn in faster. but it looks more like tire psi or tyre choice

My car is starting to have that issue, I am at 25,000km

I run at 37psi.

I was blaming the tyre, thinking it is just soft and not designed to last more than 30,000 km. i do not know if that is correct.

7. Default

Underinflation causes both edges to wear, but the wear you have on the inside is a wheel alignment issue.
    Hard cornering causes the outside edges to wear a little more.
    Judging buy the look of your tyres you drive the car hard and these cars put out a fair bit of power through the front wheels - the soft tyres OEM dont like it.

With tyre pressures 32 is a little low and manufacturers always specify lower pressures so the ride is more gentle. 36 - 40 is better, especially if you push the car a bit.

I run 39psi front, 37psi rear and keep a close eye on it. And they are the OEM Dunlop SP 2050's. I have spoken to some others about the Dunlops and the expected wear is in the 25k range. Will be getting a full alignment when i get the new tyres on Thursday hopefully that will help.

I might be cooking them them at the higher pressure as I do sustained high speed cornering round home.

Hmmm will see how long the next set lasts then. Might have to slow down or something.

9. Default

what are you going to replace them with?

Going for Bridgestone Adrenalins.

My prefered Tyre has always been the Goodyear Eagle F1 D3GS but they are no longer being made and the Asymetrical replacement is crap by all reports.

The Bridgestone has reviewed well both in magazines and forums so will be interested to see how they go. And as it looks i will be doing tyres every 20-30k thats less than a years driving for me so i will be able to try different ones soon if im not happyu with them.
    Current Garage
    2009 Mazda 3 MPS Luxury
    2002 Renault Clio Sport 172

Quote Originally Posted by DougMPS View Post
    Going for Bridgestone Adrenalins.

Just make sure you don't get any old stock of the Australian Manufactured ones.... Especially if you intend on doing track work.

pfft. you want more than 25k out of performance tires... your dreaming...

i get 25k out of my neovas and im not kind to them. the australian Bridgestones are crap, make sure you get the japanese ones... the price isnt that great.. or check out st george tyres online to get some cheaper RT615s

13. Default

St George Tyres online

Quote Originally Posted by heath_303 View Post
    pfft. you want more than 25k out of performance tires... your dreaming...
    I always think the same thing. Even when I'm not driving hard I've never gotten more than 20,000km out of a set of tyres.... Worst? 13,000km out of ADVAN V103's.

Never even seen the track yet.

Well have the bridgestones fitted now an they Initially feel better the dunlops. Time will tell however after a few more drives. Mind you the dunlops were pretty worn and my favorite roads are always wet here this time of year.

im happy if i get 15000ks outa tyres... im hard on tyres..

Interesting... Has anyone tried Advan Neova AD08s? Ne good?? How many kms do they get out of you reckon?

rotate the tyres. it seems the dealer didnt rotate them for you. if you have slight negative camber, obviously the inner will wear faster, especially if you are spinning the tyres.

i have a gen1 and put 38 in front and 34 in rear. i basically go by the look of the tyre. if the shoulders are touching too much, inflate em more. theres more weight on the front so you will need to put more air in. just dont over inflate them otherwise you will start getting more understeer

I have a gen 2 and i have just done 27500km and am in dire need of new tyres with the white bands coming through on the fronts like yours Doug.

I have 4 goodyear eagle F1 D3GS 235/40 with 1000km on them sitting in brisbane doing nothing and it will cost $250 in freight alone let alone fitting balance!!!. Soo instead I am getting kumho ecsta KU21's in 235/40/18 for 159 a corner fitted, i know the fitment is "illegal" technically but it is a 7.5 inch rim so it should be fine.

The LSD should prevent inside wheel spin up though so if anything this is a toe/alignment problem our cars have?
    TEAM EMO BLISS...When we cut ourselves.. we bleed AWESOME!

Hey Shiv, gotta catch up some time.

It'll be interesting to see how these tyres go. I'm picking up a set of RX8 Shinka wheels for my car soon, tyres to follow later...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast