User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GRAJY's new engine bay...

I'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by premhk View Post
    I'll be there.
    Cool. I'll be there at about 9.

Just a quick question Grajy...

Since you have the FMIC installed, have you considered getting rid of the plastic shroud on the underside of the bonnet that would sit on top of the stock TMIC. I assume the bonnet is a little heavy, as with the 6 with all that fitted. Curious to know how much weight is in the plastic shroud work and whether or not it would be worth while removing it for those that have FMIC (with pods) Just thought I'd ask if you've given thought to remove it, or if you're thinking to retain it in place? The mods look good though!

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Just a quick question Grajy...

Since you have the FMIC installed, have you considered getting rid of the plastic shroud on the underside of the bonnet that would sit on top of the stock TMIC. I assume the bonnet is a little heavy, as with the 6 with all that fitted. Curious to know how much weight is in the plastic shroud work and whether or not it would be worth while removing it for those that have FMIC (with pods) Just thought I'd ask if you've given thought to remove it, or if you're thinking to retain it in place? The mods look good though!
    Yeah, I've kept the plastic box under the bonnet. It still allows a little air into the engine bay for lower temps, but, what I have done is take out the passenger side deflector that feeds air to the intercooler site (old one), and removed a plastic cap in the top radiator support panel, directly behind the now removed deflector. This air tunnel leads directly to the air filter area to keep the intake temps at a constant while moving... I have pics if you REALLY need to see them.
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    Yeah, I've kept the plastic box under the bonnet. It still allows a little air into the engine bay for lower temps, but, what I have done is take out the passenger side deflector that feeds air to the intercooler site (old one), and removed a plastic cap in the top radiator support panel, directly behind the now removed deflector. This air tunnel leads directly to the air filter area to keep the intake temps at a constant while moving... I have pics if you REALLY need to see them.
    Haha don't trouble yourself with loading pics mate! Was just thinking if I would remove it provided I installed a FMIC. It does provide flow into the bay but at the same time adds weight. Much of a muchness I guess. I was just curious to know how much weight is to be saved by removing the shrouding. Obviously not a good idea myself having a TMIC (stock) Also keen to know what the weight difference (bonnet) is between the 3 and the 6 if any. We have the bonnet bulge in the 6 so obviously a different design. The end result is a fairly heavy bonnet. I assume the 3 also has a bit of weight under the hood yeah?

I like the black pipework too, looking schmick! Looks like you have a K&N pod? I have a 3" high flow tapered pod. Roughly speaking surface area would probably be similar. I wonder which is louder my CAI or your SRI?

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

My intake isn't too loud... It's just taken the stealth away. You can here the air being sucked by the turbo and on lift off, the released air from the BOV (stock).
    The 3 has a bonnet bulge too. Although not really noticeable until you compare a base and an MPS together.
    I doubt the plastic bonnet box would be heavy. If it was, I'd be very surprised.
    The stealth of the piping and cooler are awesome. Am loving it...

I'll weigh mine and tell you how much it is. It does weigh a bit. The difference between my bonnet and a std one is noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    I'll weigh mine and tell you how much it is. It does weigh a bit. The difference between my bonnet and a std one is noticeable.

It looks like I may have to get out of the car to take some weight out to make it go even faster

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Haha don't trouble yourself with loading pics mate! Was just thinking if I would remove it provided I installed a FMIC. It does provide flow into the bay but at the same time adds weight. Much of a muchness I guess. I was just curious to know how much weight is to be saved by removing the shrouding. Obviously not a good idea myself having a TMIC (stock) Also keen to know what the weight difference (bonnet) is between the 3 and the 6 if any. We have the bonnet bulge in the 6 so obviously a different design. The end result is a fairly heavy bonnet. I assume the 3 also has a bit of weight under the hood yeah?

I like the black pipework too, looking schmick! Looks like you have a K&N pod? I have a 3" high flow tapered pod. Roughly speaking surface area would probably be similar. I wonder which is louder my CAI or your SRI?
    I will tell u soon .. i had a cpe cai and it was loud! very noticable. i have a sri and box now so teh sound wil be contained a bit
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Hmmmm....nice engine bay you have there

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    I will tell u soon .. i had a cpe cai and it was loud! very noticable. i have a sri and box now so teh sound wil be contained a bit
    I found with the CP-E CAI (complete with dry flow filter) was very loud and almost a tinny sound. Kind of like pressurised air through aluminium pipework kind-of-tinny-sound. I got rid of the standard dry flow and attached a K&N 3" hi-flow pod. The result is more of a base note, much deeper and also the performance I felt was slightly more aggressive at high rpm. This is most likely due to the less resistance (oiled filter + increased surface area).

I think there is potential for significant weight reduction in the MPS6 (also the 3) A CF hood, light weight rims alone has got to knock off around ~80-100kgs or there about...my mates EVO 8 hood is so light in comparison to the 6. Although still quick off the line the AWD MPS6 could be nuts, with a few well placed mods and weight reduction.

M P S

The MPS6 bonnet weight is contributed to by the combined weight of the soundproofing and the plastic ducting to the OEM TMIC. But with my CS_FMIC, I still have to keep it as the ducting now serves to ram air into the "TMAF" (top-mounted air filter). It also rams in flies, moths, grasshoppers, butterflies and other assorted small wildlife, but its easily cleaned removed with a vacuum cleaner. Makes me wonder if a nice open-weave grating across the intakes to catch the little guys might be worthwhile.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12