User Tag List

Thread: Finally stops my smoking after DP installed

Default Finally stops my smoking after DP installed

Since I had my CPE DP installed, my MPS6 was suffering from the blue smoking symptom at red light or traffic jam. You can smell its coming from the cabin and it really stinks. So I went ahead with the following treatment before considering upgrade my turbo due to warranty already expired. I therefore ordered the following from the state:

1. Change oil to 5W-40. I have chosen the Shell Rotella 5W-40 as it is very popular in the State. I have actually found a local supplier: Shell Pricelist — Cheapest Fully Synthetic Engine Oil in AU

2. OCC - fully bolt on with a speical check valve. Info can be obtained from here: Mazdaspeed Forums

3. Banjo bolt, also called oil restrictor. Info can be obtained from Oil restrictor bolt install - Mazdaspeed Forums

4. PTP pill. Info can be obtained from PT-Performance.com

I begin with the oil change, OCC installation. This was done by my mechanic. Smoke still persists after this. Then I request for the banjo bolt installation, it was also done by my mechanic. I took the car, drove it off in the afternoon and stucked in the traffic jam. It smoked again... Looks like the banjo bolt is working fine since oil still flowing through.... I was very frustrated by all the effort I spent. In the evening, I decided to put the PTP pill in. The reason I leave this at last was because worry about too much restriction on the PCV due to OCC already incorporated a check valve to reduce the PCV air flow. But I went ahead with it and it really surprised me, the smoke are GONE!!! It has been 3 days and the smoke never come back. I can not smell any stinky oil buring when stuck in traffic jam or idle at red light!!! I guess I can finally declare my turbo seal is fine and my turbo is also fine.

Hope this helps anyone who suffered the same smoking pain. Cheers...
    GROM iPod & Bluetooth car kit, ETS TMIC, HKS BOV, AEM CAI, Denso ITV-22's, CPE down pipe, Custom Exhaust tip, Hypertech tuned, Bilstein shocks with King Spring, CPE engine mount, CPE rear diff mount, Whiteline rear sway bar, EBC redstuff brake pad, DBA 4000 front slotted rotors, Prosport Boost gauge, JBarone Short Shift Plate

I have dp and 3' cat back. but no problem i think this is because of the k04 upgrade to the BNR stage 1 turbo (claims where no smoke and thats what i got)... i done the turbo and Dp at teh same time so i didnt know if it did blow smoke with standard turbo

may be the BNR turbo seal can sustain higher pressure so it won't leak easily?

very possible

might have to try this out. I'm sick of the smoke. IT STINKS!

i hope the turbo isn't being starved of oil with all the restrictions. I havent read into the fixes you mentioned above, but perhaps getting rid of the all the stuff you did and just doing that PTP pill thing to see if that alone will make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    i hope the turbo isn't being starved of oil with all the restrictions. I havent read into the fixes you mentioned above, but perhaps getting rid of the all the stuff you did and just doing that PTP pill thing to see if that alone will make a difference?
    Shouldn't be, coz before the PTP pill I can still see blue smoke therefore I think oil still flowing into the turbo quite well.

I won't remove everything coz I notice the car is running smoother and no knocks after this. It also get rid of a lot stinky smell from the exhaust.. I am yet to find out if it blow less black smoke when WOT. Will find out soon.

one thing I wanna point out, when I change the oil I notice it is overfilled. That may contribute to the smoking problem due to higher oil pressure. Anyone think that is a valid assumption?
    GROM iPod & Bluetooth car kit, ETS TMIC, HKS BOV, AEM CAI, Denso ITV-22's, CPE down pipe, Custom Exhaust tip, Hypertech tuned, Bilstein shocks with King Spring, CPE engine mount, CPE rear diff mount, Whiteline rear sway bar, EBC redstuff brake pad, DBA 4000 front slotted rotors, Prosport Boost gauge, JBarone Short Shift Plate