User Tag List

Thread: Gen2 SRI vs Oem Air Box with vents

Default Gen2 SRI vs Oem Air Box with vents

Initial comparison Only

Gen 2 with approx 8mths SRI and heatsheild installed .
    Today I reinstalled OEM air box with KN filter and cut two 65mm holes into walls of box and covered these holes with marine grade black plastic louvered vents. These vents face downward so as to (1) keep out water ingress .(2) direct air into Box.(3)to keep box as close to Std looking as possible.

Dashawk used for data.

Sri with aluminium inlet (heat transfer from engine bay) not very effective.
    Constant IAT,s where approx between 6 to 8 Deg F above Ambient when travelling.
    In slow traffic IAT would climb substantially.
    Aluminium MAF inlet was approx 1.5mm larger than OEM.?????

LTFT where constantly positive IE @ 100 klm hr + 4.9 on average.
    @ 60 Klm hr + 7.5 "" """"""""".
    @ Idle + 12.0 " " .

Today OEM box with rubber inlet( greater thermal qualities) and std MAF housing.

LTFT @ 100 klm hr - 5.5
    @ 60 Klm hr - 3.9
    @ Idle - 0.0

IAT constantly 3 deg F above ambient.
    Would take some time in traffic to rise.
    Initial conclusion is that SRI can cause increase in fuel useage and IAT.s to be higher. Oversise MAF housing does lead to ECU seeing information outside of std parameters.
    Today also a vast difference in soot around tailpipe tips and smell in garage from exhaust.
    Will post update information with data once ECU has settled and some klms on OEM with vents .
    Also cleaned MAF sensor b4 reinstall.
    This is not a bagging of SRI.s Just my endevours to reach best option re mods.
    Last edited by Oldhead; 29-08-2010 at 11:23 AM.

All this tech data is great but whats the reaction when u open the throttle? is the SRI more responsive? whats the pull through the rev range like?

Your the man Paul, I have no problems feeling the power at 1/2 throttle.... I have no results comparing the two but in time I'm sure that Paul will give us some answers.. All I know is that I'm very happy with the feel of power delivered with my car over 100k's and I still have the std TMIC and DP...... Great work Paul.... I get great response luke but I can only compare mine to Col's car and my car feels like it kicks and throws you into the seat compared to Col's but that may be due to the flywire setup he has done to his car....
    Last edited by 240MPS; 29-08-2010 at 10:51 PM.
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Great topic. I look forward to some results.

I know on my gen 2, i dont believe there is any power difference in an SRI. Ive been back and forth between them many times. Basically, i like the sound it makes and think it looks nicer in the engine bay. And when i get the shitbox tuned itll sort out the fuel trims....
    I think the Air intake temp data is the most interesting. Thanks mate......
    Last edited by Cton; 29-08-2010 at 04:22 PM.

well today on my gen1 mps, I cut out a hole roughly 10cm in diameter - rest of intake stock. huge difference. the car accelerates smoother and faster. you can hear the turbo spool as well as the bov sound. I wont be getting a SRI, just a TIP and silicone pipe to replace after the factory airbox.

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    All this tech data is great but whats the reaction when u open the throttle? is the SRI more responsive? whats the pull through the rev range like?
    Hi Luke 3mps, Very subjective question ,but the short answer is that i can not feel any noticable diff.IMO.
    I did like the hoover of the sri . Same peak boost level and spool up is as quick.

If you get a piece of silicone pipe that works in getting rid of that concertina rubber hose, let me know Lup.

I would be very interested.

I put on a cpe TIP on yesterday, and it sounds awesome, also works well with my bloody huge tmic.

The standard TIP is worse than useless, after having a look at it.

Back on topic, I am heading in a similar direction Oldhead.

Though in my case, instead of just venting the box, am looking at fitting some ducting pipe to bring it a little into the wheel well, and sorting a way to stop water ingress.

Good work on the stats.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Paul, can I lend you my K&N panel filter? I have only used it for a few weeks. I went back to the factory filter after a few dyno runs comparing filters said the K&N was loosing me power.

I'd like to see what differences you get. I also have a 100mm hole in the side on my GENII box. The dyno saw no gain in this mod either. ;(

Holes for nothing? I know Rino got some benefits but GEN I vs GENII intake design are very different.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    If you get a piece of silicone pipe that works in getting rid of that concertina rubber hose, let me know Lup.

I would be very interested.

I put on a cpe TIP on yesterday, and it sounds awesome, also works well with my bloody huge tmic.

The standard TIP is worse than useless, after having a look at it.

Back on topic, I am heading in a similar direction Oldhead.

Though in my case, instead of just venting the box, am looking at fitting some ducting pipe to bring it a little into the wheel well, and sorting a way to stop water ingress.

Good work on the stats.
    Hey Jason, interesting that the TIP sounds different. You've essentially replaced the pipe from your airbox to your turbo inlet right? Sorry, I'm a bit newb on this stuff.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Hey Jason, interesting that the TIP sounds different. You've essentially replaced the pipe from your airbox to your turbo inlet right? Sorry, I'm a bit newb on this stuff.
    theres 2 pieces after the MAF sensor, the ribbed rubber then plastic tube just before the turbo. the Turbo intake pipe replaces the plastic bit

What lup said below mate. It flows alot better, partially due to it being huge, and partially from better flow, hence more air going in.

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    theres 2 pieces after the MAF sensor, the ribbed rubber then plastic tube just before the turbo. the Turbo intake pipe replaces the plastic bit
    I will warn you lup, since I doubt the gen 1 is much different to the gen 2, in order to get the new TIP in, you will have to remove the battery box and ecu module, and helps if you remove the entire intake housing too.

It is literally impossible to get the original TIP off without taking them off first.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Hey Jason ,we are both going down the same path,im currently looking at parts for ducting as well .
    PM me Jason with heads up re intercooler

Brad i have already got KN panel filter .Thanks for offer.
    Agree that turbo inlet pipe is hugely restrictive ,less bends and shorter would assist air flow.
    Read interesting article some time back in one of the Motor Magazines,re Lab test on 8 diff Filters all put trough strict testing ,re air flow and cleaning/filtration particles.. Guess who won (K&N)

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Paul, can I lend you my K&N panel filter? I have only used it for a few weeks. I went back to the factory filter after a few dyno runs comparing filters said the K&N was loosing me power.

I'd like to see what differences you get. I also have a 100mm hole in the side on my GENII box. The dyno saw no gain in this mod either. ;(

Holes for nothing? I know Rino got some benefits but GEN I vs GENII intake design are very different.
    Hi Brad ,not really about hp gains ,but effeciency and effect. My fuel trims did not make me happy. Once i have new TMIC and sorted intakes .then tune it will be a diff story I hope

Default Update re OEM Air box Modifications

Today i pulled air box out and added one extra hole and vent.
    This airbox now has in total 4 inlets all 65mm and concealed with water proof ext marine vents, note is fantastic, LTFT are all great IE -4.5%, .
    Looks Standard, has K&N filter,car breathes better ,throttle response is great.
    Complete inlet is as follows, CPE TI, Street unit Silicone inlet pipe (replaces ribbed rubber pipe) Street Unit silicone bi pass hose ,OEM box with 4 vents,all S/S HD T Bolts, Turbosmart Kompact BPV and silicone hoses.
    Photos attatched.
    Tools required ,Dremel with cutting blades, black silicone ,s/s screws,65 mm hole saw. Patience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2140.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	6889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2141.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	6890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2142.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	6891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2144.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	6892  

Nice one Paul...You're confirming my idea that I don't need an SRI/CAI to get equivalent gains with the stock airbox...

Where do you buy the vents?

Hey Brad, u can pick these vents up from most Marine parts suppliers ,got mine from Wittworths Chandlery. They have branches in Brisbane ,a couple of bucks each.
    IMO a proper CAI with shrouding would give a lower intake temp ,but alloy or steel would still transfer heat soak in traffic conditions .

The stock box is very restrictive ,but u can get same gains as Sri by improving flow and volume plus u have the OEM maf size correct, No water ingress and almost the same filtration area as a pod filter.
    When i clean my K&N ,i just pop the original OEM filter in until K&N is serviced.
    Also benefit if asked to pop bonnet for inspection ,looks Std NO pod. I also can hose engine bay and not worry ,but still be carefull .