User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DP installation time cost

1. Default

If it strips/breaks coming out, the owner pays,
    If it strips/breaks going back in, we pay.

good way of looking at it

All Star did mine for $600 which included a dyno run. Done in 5 hrs. No O2 breakage.

Ok $1400 @$#%!@% sums up what I think of it... I negotiated it down they orginially wanted me to pay for 10 hours... I said not paying more than 7, they then proceeded to say try going to mazda and see if you can claim that on warranty saying that they didnt install the O2 sensor properly...

Dont like my chances with Mazda...

At that, I spoke to the mechanic who did the install he mentioned they did u CRC etc... first thing tried to crack the O2 Sensor didnt move sprayed again... started workin else where. work it in and out...

Damn..i feel for you. thats a whole lot of money on top of the d/p.

Does anyone know if aftermarket O2 sensors are available??? Maybe Bosch do one....could save you a bit of money..

Patience is the key - too many people rush the job. There's almost no reason why you should strip an O2 sensor if you follow the instructions and soak it to death. I was just short of paranoid about stripping the threads and eased them both out a gnat's whisker at a time; the bottom sensore was easier, for obvious reasons, both access and less subject to intense heat and carbonization. The DP flange stud bolts require similar care, and often the studs come out too, but at least if they do you can separate stud and bolt on the bench. I pulled all my studs anyway to check, clean and relube them.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Mine had 60k when Chris did the DP, he said that he wouldnt like to do one with more KM as it was a $*(()*WTJ( getting it off

8. Default

better get my car in quick then its done 62K

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    better get my car in quick then its done 62K
    Yes yes go tomorrow. He needs another 6 in to make the jig. Then I'll be able to get one.

Gone to Volvo

Aaron from MPS garage did mine, I went thru all installation with him on that day, O2 sensor thread was seized, it definitely requires 5 hours+ for the DP job. Labor + CPE DP + new O2 sensor = $1900. The work carried out by Aaron was great, he even managed to get me a new O2 sensor on the same day at trade price, not retail price.

I got mine done at mazda and it was a bit over 300 i think and that was with the new gasket ($50) It did take a while but they gave me a car to use.

Sounds like you should have gone to mazda first!

Quote Originally Posted by Furion View Post
    Ok $1400 @$#%!@% sums up what I think of it... I negotiated it down they orginially wanted me to pay for 10 hours... I said not paying more than 7, they then proceeded to say try going to mazda and see if you can claim that on warranty saying that they didnt install the O2 sensor properly...

Dont like my chances with Mazda...

At that, I spoke to the mechanic who did the install he mentioned they did u CRC etc... first thing tried to crack the O2 Sensor didnt move sprayed again... started workin else where. work it in and out...
    did you get a Best Mufflers DP?
    cause chris was wondering what had happened with this...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

MPS2NV and I did mine the other week.

It is truly a bastard of a job getting the OEM DP out, christ it was a mess.

Being fully aware of the o2 sensor issue we used maximum precaution on the sensor removal, and my car only has 9000km on it.

The top sensor was easier to get out, but still took a bit of thread off. It looked like it had actually welded to the DP.

The bottom sensor was a total prick, to the point where we had to remove the old DP first, and then spray brake clean down it to get all the crud off before it would come out.

It took something on the order of 4 hours for us to remove the OEM pipe, but only a bit over 1 hour to fit the CPE DP.

Go figure.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

The bottom O2 sensor is usually easier from the point of view of access as well as running cooler. As I said before, trying to do it all in a day doesn't help. Patience and preparation is the key, soaking everything in Inox or Penetrene overnight and then during the job worked a treat for me, as did completely removing the sensors with their leads and hanging them up out of harms way. I'm not the least surprised at folks taking 5+ hours for the job. Often it is just dumb luck that the bloody OEM cat and its heat shield decide to line up with the few available apertures and fall out the right way, without which you can be snagging fingers, nails and skin for ages. Removing the old cat mount is a key move too, as it snags on the brackets sticking out from the cat no matter which way you rotate it.

There is an ancient Asian punishment of unbelievable cruelty whereby the duration of one's imprisonment is determined by how long it takes for the prisoner to remove an MPS6 Down-pipe. Some victims languish in gaol for decades.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    There is an ancient Asian punishment of unbelievable cruelty whereby the duration of one's imprisonment is determined by how long it takes for the prisoner to remove an MPS6 Down-pipe. Some victims languish in gaol for decades.
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by TUFMPS View Post
    I got mine done at mazda and it was a bit over 300 i think and that was with the new gasket ($50) It did take a while but they gave me a car to use.

Sounds like you should have gone to mazda first!
    Did you bring your MPS to Mazda and have them install the aftermarket DP? Does Mazda do that? $300 installation cost for DP is alright.

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Red View Post
    Furion, Chris from Best Mufflers installed a DP on my 6MPS. He originally quoted me $1150 for the DP plus $600 to remove old and instal the new. He eventually charged me $1800 all up. (There was an additional amount for some other work he did for me so I didnt argue about the extra $50 cos I knew he was gunna get me coming or going as I didnt have a FIRM price for the other work.)
    Hey Leon, Does Chris makes DP for 6MPS or he only does installs for it?

$300 is a gift if it is done right. For most places I'd be prepared to allow up to $1500.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    $300 is a gift if it is done right. For most places I'd be prepared to allow up to $1500.
    $1500 for installation of a DP! Ouch. Cost more than the DP itself!

I didn't know that car dealers does install of aftermarket parts.

When my DP was installed I had two seized bolts and it still only took 3 hrs, $300 .....pretty shocked at some of these prices being mentioned !

Quote Originally Posted by kookie View Post
    When my DP was installed I had two seized bolts and it still only took 3 hrs, $300 .....pretty shocked at some of these prices being mentioned !
    jeez, that's good...
    most places it takes them a good 5-6 hours, so at ~$100 an hour for labour, $500-$650 is about right
    the thing i like about chris (BM) is that he says it's $550 for an easy job and $650 if it's hard...
    how many k's did your car have on it when it was done?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast