User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long term effects of using SRI without ECU Tuning?

1. Default Long term effects of using SRI without ECU Tuning?

Hey,

Does anyone know the long term effects of installing a SRI/CAI on a car without having it properly tuned?

I have been reading that the ECU will just sense the change in flow of air and adjust the fuel ratio to suit? and also reading that unless you have the car tuned it will just run rich and possibly cause damage down the track or least run rough.

Really want to install one but undecided as to whether i would be trading off reliability and economy for minimal performance?

basically what do i need to consider when installing one of these to retain reliabilty?

Thanks.

Gen 1 or 2?

Performance varies between the two. Gen 1 pick up around 7kw ATW and Gen 2 seem to get upto 20kw ATW, but the latter can have a CEL appear from it.

Running an SRI untuned won't cause harm to the engine. The car won't run "that" rich to cause issues.

The ECU "learns" to a point. On WOT it reverts to the base tune anyway.

Just make sure it is the same diameter as the std airbox and you'll be fine. Some people have been using an oversize SRI housing and this will give you problems.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

3. Default

I have a MPS6. Not sure if there is Gen 1 or 2? But upto 20kw ATW is amazing for a ~$400 and 30 min modification!

Really liking the look of the CES SRI and heat shield. Will do a bit more research and see what else i should look out for.

Thanks for the tip about oversize housing. will most likely pick up a CPE/Cobb/CES kit which seem to already be tried and tested.

Quote Originally Posted by LON65 View Post
    I have a MPS6. Not sure if there is Gen 1 or 2? But upto 20kw ATW is amazing for a ~$400 and 30 min modification!

Really liking the look of the CES SRI and heat shield. Will do a bit more research and see what else i should look out for.

Thanks for the tip about oversize housing. will most likely pick up a CPE/Cobb/CES kit which seem to already be tried and tested.

I got 20kwatw for under $100 by modifing the original air box.
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Been using an SRI for over 100,000km and my compressions and performance are as good now as day one. Absolutely no measurable power increase wit the SRI on my car. It's there for the sound and to enable other mods to breath easily.

Only Gen I for the MPS 6 mate, unfortunately! The Gen II is MPS 3 only and the 20kw was dynoed here in Australia too!

Not sure if anyone has dynoed a CAI/SRI only on an MPS6 however after I removed my CAI and went back to stock, the car felt very asthmatic especially above 5000 rpm
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Which mod are you talking about. Can't be just removing that plastic plate can it?

Penguin has a 6 MPS and had his car dyno'd before and after his SRI was fitted, shame he fitted a DP too.

I'd very much doubt a 20Kw increase from an SRI. Sure it breathes and spins better, but unless someone can show me a before and after dyno on this one, I remain sceptical. I had a good one on an otherwise stock engine, and I found it helpful, it sounded fine and the engine was happier, and it was tuned after 1000 kms of installation, but even after the tune there sure weren't 20Kw in it. 5Kw probably, maximum 10 - maybe - just - on a cold dry night - in Antarctica....

Blog Entries

I agree with Doug...the Mazdas don't seem to have the big kW gain from small mods which most cars have...which is unfortunate but just the truth

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    I agree with Doug...the Mazdas don't seem to have the big kW gain from small mods which most cars have...which is unfortunate but just the truth
    Please tell me these cars that have big kW gains from small mods......i would love to know your definition of "big".......

Blog Entries

Look at most Nissans...they get a decent (more than 5-10kw) gain from basic mods like intakes or at least filters.

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    Look at most Nissans...they get a decent (more than 5-10kw) gain from basic mods like intakes or at least filters.
    I dunno about that. In the golden days, before modern "learning" ECU's maybe. Not so much today. Oh sure you get a good gain for the few days after you installed it, while the ECU figures out wtf just happened. But over time it trims it out back to its factory defined target fuel ratios etc.

Outside factors may help, oversized maf diameters etc. But they aren't really an improvement, they're just providing false info to the ECU... which you can do with Mazda's just as easily.

Blog Entries

I am just going off what I have seen really, I am coming from the old NA mazda days (wow so many years ago hahahaha like 5!!) and a lot of people got out of them due to the fact that gains were SFA when you weighed up against the money you spent.

Obviously the MPSs gain slightly more but I am also seen they don't really get massive gains from basic bolt ons, which struck me as surprising thats all.

Not Gone...just "busy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino
    It's not blue screen of death Kent, it's Auora Blue screen of death

I guess the point I was trying to make was that the gains are there, you see them when you first hook everything up, the thing that then screws you over is the ECU which is smart enough to turn around and adjust itself. With a tune, these bolt on parts come to life.

Issue is, tunes obvioulsy do not come cheap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    I guess the point I was trying to make was that the gains are there, you see them when you first hook everything up, the thing that then screws you over is the ECU which is smart enough to turn around and adjust itself. With a tune, these bolt on parts come to life.

Issue is, tunes obvioulsy do not come cheap.
    Totally agree...tunes are were the big numbers are but like you said...not cheap at all!!
    Not Gone...just "busy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino
    It's not blue screen of death Kent, it's Auora Blue screen of death

slightly larger maf housing will cause boost spikes, and possible a cut in one form or another..

the car is seeing less air then it expects.. so it increased the load request.. and there you go a nice big boost spike

this is what most people are feeling when they say they have a nice bit of extra power from an sri

if this is your only mod.. no dramas

if your fully bolted.. this will cause problems

18. Default

ok soo many mixed views on power gains! seems like the MPS3 (gen 2) has much more to gain to be had then the MPS6.

Hopefully there is a MPS meet in Bris/Goldie soon where i can hear / see some of the intakes out there but I think will get a SRI purely for the sound as the completely stock MPS6 is soo quiet! too quiet!

An exhaust would be great but cant live with the extra noise driving soo much.

It doesn't look like a SRI/CAI will cause any other problems so will get one with the mentality that any power gains and fuel economy improvements will be a bonus!

Cheers

The main issue, I think, is that Mazda's MZR starts off with a pretty hefty stock output that is close to or at the top of its class already, especially in terms of torque and flatness of the torque curve.

When you get to this stage of development when compared with earlier cars or less advanced design, it is a case of steadiliy diminishing returns for $$ spent or mods done. The best mod in $$/HP return has to be a new DP. Add a decent intake, preferably one that is fed via a decent TMIC or (better) FMIC and you've already done a lot for the car's output, with little or no risk. After that you can consider the rest of the exhaust and/or an ECU Flash or PNP Piggyback.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    I'd very much doubt a 20Kw increase from an SRI. Sure it breathes and spins better, but unless someone can show me a before and after dyno on this one, I remain sceptical. I had a good one on an otherwise stock engine, and I found it helpful, it sounded fine and the engine was happier, and it was tuned after 1000 kms of installation, but even after the tune there sure weren't 20Kw in it. 5Kw probably, maximum 10 - maybe - just - on a cold dry night - in Antarctica....
    Chiptorque did a before and after run on the SRI that I made while at CES Racing, gaining over 20kw at the wheels, Lachlan didn't believe his eyes, so, it was removed, dyno run, refitted and then rerun, still producing over 20kw. Independantly tested by Chiptorque.

Gen 2 with XEDE

Gen 2 with XEDE and SRI

Gen 2 comparisons : You can clearly see that the SRI only run closely matches the XEDE only run. But, don't take my word for it, Call Chiptorque (Site Sponsor) and find out from them directly.

ok soo many mixed views on power gains! seems like the MPS3 (gen 2) has much more to gain to be had then the MPS6.

Hopefully there is a MPS meet in Bris/Goldie soon where i can hear / see some of the intakes out there but I think will get a SRI purely for the sound as the completely stock MPS6 is soo quiet! too quiet!

An exhaust would be great but cant live with the extra noise driving soo much.

It doesn't look like a SRI/CAI will cause any other problems so will get one with the mentality that any power gains and fuel economy improvements will be a bonus!

Cheers
    PM Penguin740, he has SRI, DP and system and tune. His car doesn't drone and only makes more noise under power.
    Last edited by 2XS; 04-09-2010 at 01:21 PM.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast