User Tag List

Thread: Is that why some people call them pop off valves? /begin rant

1. Default Is that why some people call them pop off valves? /begin rant

Driving home along the M4 today doing 110km/h and WOOOOOSH, sudden decrease in power. "Oh great i've blown the turbo went through my head".

Limped all the way home dreading the worst and popped the bonnet. To my surprise it was only the BOV. It had litterally "popped off". Glad that it wasnt a turbo I then began getting quite angry that a BOV that i had only bought 2 months ago and had spent close to $500 dyno tuning my car with the set up obviously isnt suitable for stock boost.

What makes it worse is the fact it isnt even a faulty BOV - more like a faulty designed BOV. Fell straight off the flange because obviously there isnt enough thread holding it on.

To add to the frustration when changing back to my stock BOV i dropped one of the bolts into the bottom of the engine bay in almost dark. Had to run around the house and find a spare. Couldnt drop all the guards off the bottom coz i needed the car to drive to work tmrw and leave before the sun rises.

Have a look and need I say BUYER BEWARE!

Once again - factory boost, 2 months old around 5000kms
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0186.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	5209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	5210   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0188.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	5211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0189.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	5212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0124..jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	5208  

"Vroom, tish, Vrooom BOOM!" That's not good mate! I had a mate who's BOV fell apart in his EVO and part of the BOV was flapping around near the blades to the turbo!! I think it was a GFB off memory?
    Sounds like you had a eventful afternoon! BTW I don't have any guards under my car, been like that since I bought the car. Don't quite feel like spending over $300 for a new one (Mazda's price when I rang up) Pretty sure if need be you can do with out a guard plate for at least a week with no hassles.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

is that one of those ebay turbosmart units?

4. Default

No its one of them Autobarn turbosmart kompact units. Obviously they didnt put enough research and developement into them.

Ive got the Dual Port... Can you return it? Not fit for service?

Obviously its not the best designed BOV but just get some Loctite Threadlocker & you will be fine.

I dont understand why people dont buy the bovs that have the hard mounted flanges on them?

Why not buy a Quality Forge unit or similar.. or use the factory unit which is probably still the best available on the market. and cheap to replace if it does wear out..

8. Default

Stock unit causes backfiring on my fmic setup.

This unit had the flange mounted already to it and it is a mps specific model bov from turbosmart. Had the larger turbosmart dual port when i had stock tmic. Clearance issues made me go to this unit with the fmic. Had no problems with the dual port.

Just doesnt have enought thread holding it on. Im gunna tighten the crap out of it and reinstall it. If it fails again then Ill locktight it.

I cant really return it because it isnt broken. Theyll just screw it back together and say its fixed. Its just a poor design and doesnt have enough thread. They need to fix this because if it causes damage to my car ill be taking it further.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Driving home along the M4 today doing 110km/h and WOOOOOSH, sudden decrease in power. "Oh great i've blown the turbo went through my head".

Limped all the way home dreading the worst and popped the bonnet. To my surprise it was only the BOV. It had litterally "popped off". Glad that it wasnt a turbo I then began getting quite angry that a BOV that i had only bought 2 months ago and had spent close to $500 dyno tuning my car with the set up obviously isnt suitable for stock boost.
    Not sure whether you are being sarcstic or not but I'd like to correct a few things you have said, no malice intended. A pop off valve and a blow off valve are two different items. Where a blow off valve releases the air everytime you change gear, a pop off valve will only go off if there is a problem with your car. it is a valve set at a pre-determined boost pressure that it will open at. Say you run, 18PSI in your car, you'd set the pop off valve slightly higher such that if your car ever over boosts, rather than sending 30PSI into your engine, the pressure is released to atmosphere possibly saving your engine.

Don't stress about your car being tuned to a specific BOV. Your BOV only goes off when you lift your foot off, when the engine is revving down from a high to a lower rev range. When an EFI engine does this it doesn't put any fuel into the car at all. So regardless of the BOV, your tune is fine.

Blog Entries

It might not be broken per se, but if the fitment is so poor due to missing required thread, causing it to come off, well that's a product not fit for sale, IMO.
    I'd be returning it on those grounds, not because it is faulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Stock unit causes backfiring on my fmic setup.

This unit had the flange mounted already to it and it is a mps specific model bov from turbosmart. Had the larger turbosmart dual port when i had stock tmic. Clearance issues made me go to this unit with the fmic. Had no problems with the dual port.

Just doesnt have enought thread holding it on. Im gunna tighten the crap out of it and reinstall it. If it fails again then Ill locktight it.

I cant really return it because it isnt broken. Theyll just screw it back together and say its fixed. Its just a poor design and doesnt have enough thread. They need to fix this because if it causes damage to my car ill be taking it further.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

I am looking at buying the same Turbosmart BOV, but now i am getting a bit worried that it might not be such a good choice. Has anyone else had any problems with these?
    And Daniel, did you manage to fix this problem?