User Tag List

Thread: My First Turbo Experience, Turns into my First turbo car. =) MPS3

Red face My First Turbo Experience, Turns into my First turbo car. =) MPS3

Hi Guys

My name is Andrew. Little about myself, Im 22yo and currently doing my mechanics apprentice. I come from a background of VTEC cars, this is my first turbo. So i have much much to learn.

Soo long story short.. i picked up a MPS3 ( Aurora Blue) on saturday. My first experience of a MPS3 was actually before the MPS3 was even released to public back in late 2006( my very good mate works for mazda headoffice over in kingsgrove, so he gets to "break-in " the cars before release etc etc). Funny cause that was my first turbo experience , and three years later the same model car same colour turns up in my garage.

Concerns: I'm currently just over half a tank of petrol, and only sitting on 190km's.. ( pretty shocking fuel economy). Going to wack on a scan gauge this week, to hopefully find if there is any problems.

Oh, i bought my car from a used dealership(mazda), so i have 3 months bumper to bumper to warranty still, any sort of concerns i should bring to their attention so i can take advantage of the warranty while its around before its to late??

I also had the car up on the hoist at work, and noticed the fuel pump, is making a loud "whinning" noise, is this normal? Also I quickly inspected the brakes, there about 90% worn, im assuming they wont replace that under warranty.. your thoughts??

Thanks !

Hope to meet some of you guys at a cruise or something. =)

HI and welcome. mps3 was my first owned turbo car too. had driven turbos before thats what hooked me

Congrats buddy, my first turbo car too! All I can say is enjoy..!!

Welcome. Have a search in regards to the fuel ecclnomy. Sounds about right to me, depending on how you drive it and the sort of roads (highway/traffic etc) I do about 350km a tank but all bumper to bumper through the week. Generally top back up on the weekend and take it for a good drive.

Enjoy your stay!

Quote Originally Posted by Duk View Post
    Hi Guys

I also had the car up on the hoist at work, and noticed the fuel pump, is making a loud "whinning" noise, is this normal? Also I quickly inspected the brakes, there about 90% worn, im assuming they wont replace that under warranty.. your thoughts??
    How many K's has it got on it?

Welcome to the Forum and enjoy your time here.
    I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.........Groucho Marx

^ i had a search of the forums for economy,, varies a fair bit.. some people say they get 400-500 per tank.. others are about the same as me ... =)

Thanks for the welcomes =)

I've found a large difference in city/highway driving in mine. If it's bumper to bumper during the week then 350-400kms sounds about right for a whole tank. But then I went on a long trip and did 350kms on half a tank.

Yeah the MPS3 does not like city driving. In my Gen 2 on the way back from Canberra I got 225kms off a quarter of a tank of fuel, I have just had the light come on and managed only an additional 200 or k's on it, so infact that is shocking fuel economy really.

Welcome though and hope you can make it down to the next NSW cruise coming up.

to the forums!
    yeah, 190k's to 1/2 a tank doesnt seem too far fetched, it's pretty bad tho
    i normally get ~250 to 1/2 a tank in sydney... but got 650k's of highway driving off 3/4 of a tank a while ago
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Hi Andrew,
    congrats on the new car. turbo's vary tons on fuel as everyone has said it depends on how you drive them. if you run it around under 2k rmp (or close to) the turbo is not working that much and you will get realy good fuel consumption (mostly cos your just running a 2.3L car without the turbo speeding things up) once the turbo kicks in it's a different story. Try to use higher gears once you reach the speed you want to cruze at. It is the same for the other turbo cars i have driven (wrx, VL turbo, XR6 turbo) .

I read a thread about fuel consumption somewhere when reserching my mps6... ill have a look to see if it was with OZmpsClub or not.

if you have a warrenty... MILK IT I say!!!!! if something sounds strange take it in. its better to get it looked at now rather than having to pay for it in 4 months time. with the brakes I wouldn't risk em mate, turbo cars can speed up fast but you need to slow down in a hurry too, don't want to get caught out.

once again contratz on the car!
    Tim

Filled up for the first time today.. got 14l/100

A tune will sort out the economy (tell that to the wife/GF/partner) it really does.

It'll make more power too. (for your benefit) and for "merging"

Welcome to the forum!

Living in Cairns, so semi-city traffic to work and back; I get about 430km to a tank. Unless my wife has been driving it then she gets about 470km!

Once that turbo spools up: it sucks the 98 down reeeeeeeeal fast.

Smile Mps rehab for turbo junkies u can checkout but u can never leave!!!!

To OZMPSClub the message is up there check exhaust at idle if it's smoking turbo seals are gone . A/Blu ftw , as said mps's do not like city traffic also as said a tune may help with the economy , I recommend a sri & pod filter to let the little animal breath better , enjoy

Col
    Last edited by YOU LOSE; 24-08-2010 at 08:43 AM.
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

Thanks for the welcomes..

I've got a CAI on the way ( courier stuffed up).. i got a turbo inlet pipe on the list of things too

Duk hope you're enjoying your MPS and the forums!