User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dsc off!!!!

The DSC has a tendency to over-react to bumpy roads, especially in the 6, which might lead you to conclude you're better off without it. But don't be fooled by how the other interventions feel through the seat of your pants.

I would confidently argue that the car is both safer and quicker with the DSC left on. To use a motor racing analogy, when two similar cars are putting in qualifying laps, the one that looks boring and unspectacular will be quicker than the one that is obviously on the ragged edge. DSC does this for you to some extent, by knocking off the rough edges.

Another example, on one of my favourite roads are some tight off-camber corners, the type that cause any car to under steer. I use the DSC to my advantage there by using control inputs that cause the DSC to momentarily clamp the inside wheel, which pirouetes the car through the turn in a way that just wouldn't be possible without DSC.

I'm not trying to advocate dangerous driving, but what I'm saying is that the only thing you'll get from turining DSC off is reduced control of your car, although an AWD launch is an obvious exception, and even then it's only to protect that vulnerable axle - try an AWD launch with the front wheels pointed slightly off centre and I guarantee you'll never do it again because theres probably nothing that feels more out of control.
    Last edited by kmh001; 18-08-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Gone to Volvo

The local Mazda Demo/Advanced Driving day recommended keeping DSC on for the entire circuit and also showed faster progress around the circuit with it kept on. I agree with Mal, the DSC is not some figment of an engineer's imagination but is there for a purpose and if one is going to turn it off as a matter of almost routine, then one needs to be aware of the quincequonces.

I had a memorable DSC intervention that ostensibly saved my car from spearing sideways into a semitrailer at over 130kmh on a long sweeper when I hit a deeper than normal patch of standing water on the road, and which I was forced to drive through by virtue of the truck's positioning on my side of the centreline. It reacted quickly and positively and faster than I could have. While I obviously can't say what the outcome might have been if I had DSC off, I was impressed with the way it dealt with the situation.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Educational vid for those that want to know what it "does"

Mazda Australia Zoom-Zoom - Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)

one word.... OFF 24/7

DSC has saved my butt on the track, little heavy on the straight * Mental Note looking at the tyre wall after the kitty litter * Turn point and DSC cuts in and saves the day You only turn it off when you want to be silly
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    DSC has saved my butt on the track, little heavy on the straight * Mental Note looking at the tyre wall after the kitty litter * Turn point and DSC cuts in and saves the day You only turn it off when you want to be silly
    That's the first thing I press after the ignition lights go out.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    That's the first thing I press after the ignition lights go out.
    Troy if I had the right tyres I would turn it off too, but I've always raced like that flat out and brake at the very last minute on slicks but street tyres mine were shot after 2 laps, and I,ve seen what happens at the end of the straight at Lakeside, IT"S NOT PRETTY..... Love my car not to hurt it.
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Only time I turn my DSC off is when I am cooking off a hot start, a bit of wheel spin is better than the crippling traction control intervention.

Other than that tho, I almost never drive it hard enough to need DSC. I plan to sort all of that out at an ADT course/track day in the near future tho.

I did find out you have to put DSC off if you are in a muddy field. I tried to drive out and it just cut all my power completely, no fun at all! With it off I managed to slide and spray my way out of there no problems! I am impressed that I managed to get mud flicking up onto my windscreen and left with half the field in my wheel arches.....

That's the benefit of the traction control component (TCS) being isolated - being designed to be turned off enables you to debog. That's primarily why the switch is there - if you read the handbook.

Rtfm!

Simply, if you are a pro race car driver, dsc off generally results in a better lap time. Proven.
    But to us mortals, dsc on will give a better time on a track

On the road however, just leave it on, you never know when your going to need it.

"Simply, if you are a pro race car driver, dsc off generally results in a better lap time. Proven.
    But to us mortals, dsc on will give a better time on a track. On the road however, just leave it on, you never know when your going to need it"

Exackle!

Not proven in the case of the 3MPS. Can't remember if it was Brenden Reeves or Rick Bates, one of them did some laps with DSC both an and off. The laps with it on were quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Not proven in the case of the 3MPS. Can't remember if it was Brenden Reeves or Rick Bates, one of them did some laps with DSC both an and off. The laps with it on were quicker.
    think it was at the NSW mazda track day?
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

i dont know about quicker times could possibly be but when i shift with it on the dsc comes in and slows it down heaps when its off it wheel spins a bit aswell but gets traction again quicker.

well im going to the track in november at winton so ill do a couple laps to see if i can get quicker... but going from last track day i doubt it

If you spin your wheels a lot then the TC will cripple you. DSC improves lap times when it is correcting over/understeer and generally ragged driving. In one way it helps and in another it hinders. It would be nice if you could keep the stability control on but turn traction control off, or let it allow a little bit of wheel spin, often a feature on more expensive cars.

Net benefit will depend heavily on driving style and conditions tho.
    Last edited by Reedy; 19-08-2010 at 08:13 PM.

I did a defensive driving course a little while ago and my god the DSC made a big difference on the skid pan. Pulled up both under and over steer much more quickly than I possibly could. Not sure if it was quicker, but sure felt more controled...still turned it off though

Don't know if its just in my head but the steering and throttle responce seems to improve with it off, the car just feels much more alive. Think its probably placebo but I prefer having it off even in normal driving.

And Troy's car....that much torque probably just manes the DSC freak out, give up, and turn itself off in despair :P
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    think it was at the NSW mazda track day?
    It was at the launch of the gen2 3MPS at the Sutton Road circuit in Canberra. At least that's where I saw it. but it may have occurred elsewhere as well.
    Last edited by kmh001; 19-08-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post

Don't know if its just in my head but the steering and throttle responce seems to improve with it off, the car just feels much more alive. Think its probably placebo but I prefer having it off even in normal driving.
    A placebo is exactly what it is, the only time the DSC is doing anything is when the little orange light is blinking on your dashboard.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast