User Tag List

Thread: Report: 2007-2009 Mazda3 and Mazda5 models face power steering recall

Default Report: 2007-2009 Mazda3 and Mazda5 models face power steering recall

Filed under: Minivan/Van, Sedan, Recalls, Safety, Hatchback, Mazda

2007 Mazda3 (above) and 2009 Mazda5 (below, right) - Click on either image for high-res gallery

Automotive News is reporting that Mazda has notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that it will recall over 200,000 2007 to 2009 Mazda3 and Mazda5 models due to faulty power-assist steering pumps and pipes. The recall announcement comes two months after NHTSA launched an investigation into 33 complaints of power steering failures. In three cases, the loss of steering control led to an accident.

Robert Davis, Mazda's senior vice president of product development and quality has told AN that the power steering system can shut down because sensors in the pump can be contaminated with rust from pipes that connect the pump to the steering rack. The contamination could cause the power steering pump to shut itself down to prevent further damage. When the power steering shuts down, affected vehicles will still be steerable, but the loss of power assist will make steering effort markedly heavier than what drivers are used to.

Owners of the affected vehicles will be notified by Mazda to bring their Mazda3 or Mazda5 to the nearest dealership for a new steering pump and pipes. This recall notice has yet to be added to be made official by NHTSA on its website.

Gallery: 2007 Mazda3

Gallery: 2009 Mazda5

[Source: Automotive News - sub. req.]
    Report: 2007-2009 Mazda3 and Mazda5 models face power steering recall originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 16 Aug 2010 09:31:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

***UPDATE***

Hi Admin,

We have been receiving a few enquiries about the US based recall for the Mazda3 and Mazda5 (story running off the front of OzMPSClub.com). We wanted to let you know (and pass on to your members ) that the recall in North America is a voluntary product recall and this process is a completely different process to the safety-related recall process in Australia. There is no safety-related defect and as a result we will not be issuing a recall in Australia.

I trust this find you well- speak soon,

Cheers
    Ben
    Mazda Australia
    Last edited by duglet; 20-08-2010 at 04:21 PM.

2. Default

The recall is now here as well

Mazda Australia offers Special Service Program for steering recall

After the recent worldwide Mazda3 recall, Mazda Australia has announced it will offer its Special Services Program (SSP) for vehicles fitted with the Electro Hydraulic Power Assist steering system. Associated with the recall, it predominately affects the previous generation Mazda3s produced between 2 April 2007 and 30 November 2008.

The problem and recall was issued because residue was found in the power steering gearing lubricant, which could lead to a failure of the power assist. Mazda Australia says if this occurs an indicator light on the dash cluster will illuminate.

Owners of the potentially affected vehicles will be contacted by a Mazda dealer, where repairs may be made free of charge.

Source: Car Advice

I didnt get a letter in regard to this recall.
    But my car is one of them.
    My power steering failed on me yesterday while I was at uni.
    Luckily it occured in the car park. Basically what happens is it just turns on and off at random times. Confuses you a bit when you are either driving or reversing. Can definately be dangerous if driving at high speed.

4. Default

Mazda replaced my gf's Power steering piping + pump... and flushed all the old fluid.. and put in new stuff. Her powersteering failed around 4~5 times over the past 2 years .. mostly on warmer days for some reason. [April 08 Build]