User Tag List

Thread: Quick Koni Yellows review

Thumbs up Quick Koni Yellows review

Finally got the new shocks in over the weekend. Time to share a couple of thoughts!

NB: I'm using the koni yellows (sports) with stock springs on an MPS3 Gen I.

Had full access to a workshop over the weekend which made life MUCH easier. Rattle gun FTW.

Installation:
    Rear shocks are VERY easy to install. I read THIS guide before hand but didn't really need to refer to it during the install.

Front shocks are a bit more of a big deal to install. Do yourself a favour and use the "trick" to open the mount that the shock sits in. Be careful though, it's cast iron and liable to crack if you try to push it too far.

Overall the install took less than an hour with 2 of us working.

Impressions:
    - I read that these shocks with stock springs have a tendancy to handle better while improving ride comfort / reducing bump harshness. While I don't agree to the extent that some ahve reported it, in my case it is true. The Shocks ARE stiffer, but it seems their rebound dampening is much better than stock giving the better feel.
    - Handling: Have the fronts set on the softest settin for now which should net approx 10-15% insreased stiffness over stock. Handling feels improved with a more direct turn in and seemingly less understeer / torquesteer. The rear feels like it follows much better and body roll from the rear feels greatly reduced.
    - Accelleration / braking: The attitude on accelleration is greatly improved with the car nolonger sitting on its ass on accelleration. Ditto for under breaking, the car doesn't dive when you hit the skids.

- Ride height: I expected no change in ride heaight, however its definitely sitting higher now. I would say its up a good 10-15mm in the front and Maybe 5-10mm in the back. The front is very noticeable compared to the back.

Overall:
    Pros:
    - Handling improved
    - Accelleration and braking attitude improved
    - Less harshness transmitted through the suspension
    - Good price as they were second hand
    - Easy install with the right tools / facilities.

Cons:
    - Ride height has increased (purely cosmetic problem)

I'll be leaving these as is for the time being, if the ride height does not settle, I'll consider some lowering springs that will give it a ~10mm drop once settled in.

Ride hight will settle
    ------------
    altho.. reading again being 2nd hand.. thats odd..

hmmm

glad u like them . i know u were not lowering ur car but have u thought about it?. i have been very slack, will post the extras tomorrow. ( if i remember)

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

did u get teh wheels on?
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Lowering isn't practical for the roads I have to deal with and the loads my car has to deal with on raod trips etc.

That said, as it's now raised, I'm keen to drop it back down to stock heights as its looks a bit silly to me now. Looks like the Mazdaspped springs will bring me back to stocker height as they only drop ~15mm

Yep RX-8 wheels are on. Loving them Can't wait to put some adrenalins/s.drive's on them and throw it at some twisties!

same.. i have just got some toyo proxy t1's and i cant drive my car at the moment lol.. as soon as i got it going! with coilovers, adjusted camber,will have sway bars by the time its back hopefully SSSOOO keen to put it through the twisties too
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........