User Tag List

Thread: How to Take apart a Sealed unit Gauge to Change its colour :P

Default How to Take apart a Sealed unit Gauge to Change its colour :P

So i was bored, i went and bought a Auto Gauge Boost gauge and decided to have some fun with Scissors Glue and cellophane :P

Heres the pics (please note the gauge had white backlit numbers before i started on all thsi shit..

dunno if ill actually use it.. but i managed to pull it apart and put it back to gether and it still works..

next time i will desolder the smt leds and put red ones in instead

'

Amazing what you can do with the following

- Small Flat Head Screwdriver
    - Crescent
    - glue stick
    - lazerprinter
    - cellophane
    - elephant glue
    - box cutting knife
    - boredom
    Last edited by Ranton; 13-08-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Whoa. Good work.

Interesting you should do this. I just fitted a Prosport 52mm Boost Guage and was appalled at the crappy design of the plug aperture at the back. You can get the boost sensor lead in OK, but the design of the housing and small aperture is such that there is almost no room to get a flat small screwdriver in there to depress the small securing lug on the plug to release it again. If you exert any pressure on the plug to get at the securing lug, you can far too easily move the entire guage in its housing, inside the glass, which then bends the spring-loaded shaft of the front push-button assembly so the spring fails to return it to its "out" position. Considering that you connect and disconnect it a few times when installing it, just to get stuff to fit and to check positioning, the pissy assembly is not at all good. The access on yours doesn't look much better.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Good work mate, what was the fork used for?
    Looks good though, the things we get up to when bored!

I like how it says mps inside now

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Interesting you should do this. I just fitted a Prosport 52mm Boost Guage and was appalled at the crappy design of the plug aperture at the back. You can get the boost sensor lead in OK, but the design of the housing and small aperture is such that there is almost no room to get a flat small screwdriver in there to depress the small securing lug on the plug to release it again. If you exert any pressure on the plug to get at the securing lug, you can far too easily move the entire guage in its housing, inside the glass, which then bends the spring-loaded shaft of the front push-button assembly so the spring fails to return it to its "out" position. Considering that you connect and disconnect it a few times when installing it, just to get stuff to fit and to check positioning, the pissy assembly is not at all good. The access on yours doesn't look much better.
    by the sounds of it.. the prosport ones sounds like cruddy design..

ive had the plugs in and out a couple of times already now... only time i managed to rotate the innards was when i had jimmy'd open the front ring off the unit/ un did the bolts and then separated it all out..

yeah its tight.. but hey.. supposed thats why i paid **** all for it as opposed to 390nzd for DEFI equivalent

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Good work mate, what was the fork used for?
    Looks good though, the things we get up to when bored!
    heh. the fork was supposed to be used to pull the needle off the stepper motor.. instead i had to force the guage face over the needle etc as it woulldnt come out.

Big fan of the MPS logo

Very nice! now... how do i change my spherical shaped lens to a flat one!!??