User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What colour to paint my brake callipers?

Default What colour to paint my brake callipers?

Have a Gen1 Aurora Blue MPS, with RX-8 5 spoke rims painted in the shadow chrome colour like the "sports pack" rims that it came with.

Since new rims on it, the callipers are much more noticeable. And noticably UGLY!

Options I've though of:
    - Clean and sand the callipers back leaving them unpainted (silver?). Perhaps a Mazda decal
    - Colour matched (aurora blue) painted callipers. Again maybe with a decal
    - Shiny black callipers.

Opinions??

Oh and I don't want red ones

I want it to look good without being ricey

2. Default

I would go aurora blue with black decal if you can match the paint exactly or gloss black with a nice brushed metal decal

Aurora blue for sure but whatever colour I think it must be a complete contrast to the colour of your wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    I would go aurora blue with black decal if you can match the paint exactly or gloss black with a nice brushed metal decal
    Not a white decal with the blue callipers?

Usually red callipers look great. However there are a few circumstances where the colour of the vehicle (Blue, orange etc) makes a red calliper look funny IMO

If I were you and owned an Aurora Blue car I would consider.
    -Black (Being my preference out of the 3 listed here)
    -Silver
    -Vehicle Matched Colour

But I would also consider if gold/bronze or yellow looks good? Personally Not a big fan on those colours, but in some cases could look good. I would also paint the rim myself, as I've always been a fan of dark rims with a hot coloured calliper behind.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    Aurora blue for sure but whatever colour I think it must be a complete contrast to the colour of your wheels.
    The contrast problem is why i probably wont just clean up the callipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    The contrast problem is why i probably wont just clean up the callipers.
    Unless you paint the rims?? hehe

**EDIT** what about painting any colour you want (a few different ones) on a sheet of paper. Wait for it to dry, wrap it round the Calliper, put the wheel on, then stand back and consider the contrast. That's something I would probably do to get an idea of colour matching and contrast. It's a simple method which leaves the calliper unpainted until you decide on a colour you like??

Last edited by rogwick; 13-08-2010 at 11:06 AM.

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

^ not a bad idea, thanks Rog.

The yellow / gold does look alright, but is too standoutish for my liking. And I'm not going to paint the rims any darker, they look HOT as is

I'll have to get some pics up as I spent all of last weekend cleaning / polishing!

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    +1 to gloss black and brushed metal decal
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    ^ not a bad idea, thanks Rog.

The yellow / gold does look alright, but is too standoutish for my liking. And I'm not going to paint the rims any darker, they look HOT as is

I'll have to get some pics up as I spent all of last weekend cleaning / polishing!
    No worries, glad to help and hope the little trick helps you decide on a colour. Maybe do the front one colour, and the rear another (the wrapping of paper idea) and see which looks better? I would be a little nervous of the gold/yellow but thought I would just mention it. Sometimes it looks ok.

The rims do look good as standard, I just got sick of cleaning mine and on the MPS6 I think black rims look better (too many spokes) IMO red and white cars look the best with black rims (with red callipers behind!) At the end of the day a personal preference really

Keen to see pics of the completed job. Having a crack this weekend by any chance?

M P S

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Having a crack this weekend by any chance?
    Slim to no chance. I don't have paint or decals yet as I haven't decided on colour!

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    +1 to gloss black and brushed metal decal
    I'm leaning towards this I think. It will be neat and tidy for people that care to look, without the "look at me" factor of the primary colours. Gen I MPS3 is still stealthy

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Working off the assumtion that I go with black callipers:

I'm thinking the "MAZDA" decal. I like it it looks classic. POssibly "MPS" decals for the rear callipers. Def not going the Mazdaspeed decal as it looks too squished to me.

Tossing up between decal colours:
    - White
    - Aluminium
    - Metalic Silver

Anyone got pics of the aluminium and/or metalic silver ones?

12. Default

Heres a link to pics of mine gloss black with aluminium/brushed metal mazda decal http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/how-t...html#post17931

ty BB. So you ordered the "aluminium" colour from hot car stuff?

there are 2 moving parts to a caliper paint on blue and one yellow...... i have never seen this before but i have thought about it

15. Default

yeh from hot car stuff though the MPS would fit better on rear or fronts ... cant remember which as cant see pics at work but one has smaller surface to put decal on

u have the piston part of the caliper and the clamping side that pulls your back pad onto the rotor( paint each a different colour)

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    u have the piston part of the caliper and the clamping side that pulls your back pad onto the rotor( paint each a different colour)
    Pics or Ban?

Sounds like a crazy idea to me lol.

Many want Power not many hold it long.........

hey thats a whole lot better than I had pictured in my head lol.

If I was going without decal I might try black and silver or similar.

black and silver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast