User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cam Driven Fuel Pump Issues

Quote Originally Posted by mps jim View Post

Fitted the CDFP upgrade today, If you have mechanical skill it's a easy job.
    Well after the first drive, I am very pleased, it now complements the flash revs out too 7000 rpm it's smooth and with no hesitation.
    I would recommend getting one fitted.
    Definately worth the upgrade

+1 and good on ya jim

MS3.
    Thanks.
    I am ordering the one step colder plugs, Aaron at mpsgarage is getting some shift spacers made for me, so to save postage I'll get them sent together.

Just a question regarding the CDFP upgrades and fuel economy.. From what i gather, the CDFP upgrade is designed to keep a more constant and steady pressure when it is required (in high load, high throttle % applicatons). What i am not 100% sure on is whether the pressure is actually higher than a 'good' stock pump. If it is in fact higher, does this mean that it will burn more fuel under these conditions, or does the ECU control the injectors to maintain the same AFR that is needed? So, have people that have made the upgrade notice any difference in fuel economy?

Cheers,

Karl.

Karl.
    I may be talking rubbish, but for what it's worth I don't think the fuel economy would go up, as you are only increasing the pressure not volume, and I think you are right, the ecu would control the injectors to maintain the correct AFR.
    I went to work today,(bummer), so it's the first long drive with the CDFP upgrade, I am very happy with it. NO regrets.
    I had another think about this, you are increasing volume, as the centre shaft is larger diameter than stock, but I still think the ecu will control the amount of fuel.
    If anyone disagrees, please let me know.
    Last edited by mps jim; 12-02-2009 at 07:59 PM.

I've seen logs of upgraded CDFPs running at 2000psi but that was on a car with a lot of mods. If the ecu is keeping the the AFRs in line, and you're running stock or even slightly modded then really you shouldn't see any performance gains as the stock pump (unless broken) should be capable of exceeding the 200kw atw mark. If you're modded enough that fueling is an issue, then the upgrade would let you reach the potential of the mods. I'm not sure if it's correct to actually say the upgraded fuel pumps give you power in the same vein that you don't say an aftermarket BOV gives you power. They just enable you to reach/maintain the power levels of your real mods.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

6. Default

Most stock pumps are fine. Mine keeps me going strong at 206kw all the way up to 6500 RPM in 3rd gear.

MPS Jim - where did you source yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    Most stock pumps are fine. Mine keeps me going strong at 206kw all the way up to 6500 RPM in 3rd gear.
    note one thing though wardski, my car ran fine going all the way to redline in fairly decent weather.

When it was really cold though at like 10-15degrees or so, my car was hesiating and pausing whenever i'd go to about 5000rpm in any gear. Little annoyed because thats when our cars run best.

I figure my pump only started playing up once i hit the +200@wheel mark, from there on my car felt pretty sluggish and nowhere near 19psi.

So i'll probably re-tune my car, just to clean up the first tune and also do my other map as it wasn't done the first time.

So to only really know if your car's pump is fine is to log it.

GGG.
    I got the upgrade kit from mpsgarage $245.+ post.
    The CDFP upgrade won't give you more power we know that, but what MS3 and myself are saying is it complements the mods and tune, all I can say is,after fitting the upgrade I have seen a improvement at top end of the rev band.
    I don't know if my stock pump was faulty or not, but you have to drive the car to see the improvement plus so far all the guy that have them say the same we can't all be taken crap.
    I would be up front with people, I would say don't waste your money.
    Last edited by mps jim; 13-02-2009 at 07:59 PM.

I don't doubt what you guys are saying, but I do think it's important for newer people to know when it would be useful to buy them and when the stock one is sufficient. Once I get my DP and flash, I plan to log before and after CDFP to determine what the affect is.

That's a fair comment, at the end of the day it's up to the individual, if a person is happy with the upgrade so be it. what more can I say.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12