User Tag List

Thread: Efficiency of Modified Intake?

Question Efficiency of Modified Intake?

Guys, I'm wondering if there were any gains in fuel consumption when the stock intake was binned and an after market intake was fitted..?

When you put an intake on and the car starts to make proper turbo noises, you can count on your fuel consumption getting worse.

Seriously though, my own experience and the absence of valid data to the contray suggest that an intake alone will not increase power or alter fuel consumtion. However it will alter throttle response and can make the car feel more responsive (or in same cases not).

The main reasons to install an intake are to make the car sound better and to allow other mods to reach their full potential.

Gone to Volvo

Improved my breathing no end - one look at the restrictive old TIP will tell you why. Chs D

If there was a noticeable reduction in fuel economy it most likely be the result of a heavy foot and large grin on ones face. You might find you rev the car to a higher RPM or generally plant the throttle quickly to hear the quick spool-like noise most intakes offer on turbocharged engines.

If you driving habits remain the same, I would suggest the addition of a CAI/SRI in combination with a TIP would actually assist in fuel economy. Basically, the motor struggles getting air in, past the stock panel filter (with higher resistance) through the square-bend-like, small TIP (Doug mentioned above). Adding an intake specifically a CAI ensures the coolest air possible (for one) being sucked into the motor, the largest diameter inlet (3" on the intake and transitions to 2.5" (or was it 2.25") on the TIP to the turbo) The TIP itself provides a high velocity, low resistance flow by design silicone hose.

The combination of the CAI and TIP in my opinion would benefit your economy. The resistance is lower and the air is generally cooler. The question is, how much of a difference it makes? That, I do not know! But like Mal said The main reason to install an intake is to make the car sound better and also allow other mods to reach their full potential.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Yes it should, theoretically, give you an increase in fuel economy. (like for like comarison of condition and driving habbits) though as stated above, it can have the reverse effect as the noise and throttle responce changes encourage spirited acceleration.
    No it's probably not justifiable on those terms alone. IE its not going to pay for itself anytime soon on petrol savings.
    It *may* however contribute to a reduced worklad on the intake patrs (inc turbo) to do the same amount of work, which in theory would extend the life of those components.

I haven't done it (except assess it visually, which you can do yourself), but a simple comparison of cross-sectional areas of the smallest part of each pipe will give you the goods. Air is lazy stuff and likes big pipes to make its passage easier. My replacement TIP (which came with the CS_FMIC is a 3" stepped down to 2.75" (if I recall correctly) diameter round section pipe - see LH polished pipe in attached image) and I'm bloody sure it will plot a larger effective cross-sectional area than the tightly squeezed plastic abomination designed by computer to squeeze between the battery box and the rest of the plumbing and wiring at the top of the engine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG7672.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	5130  
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 12-08-2010 at 04:16 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

My fuel economy has definitely improved after fitting a SRI to my MPS 3. I also reset my ECU at the same time so that might have something to do with it as well.

My fuel consumption is worse since having a CAI in March.

been logging data since day 1 and currently averaging 12L/100km compared to 11 before installation.

but like above comments, its the noise n grin factor which accounts for the increase.

Strange - with my bigger inlet there is virtually no sound from the turbo, and only a very mild BOV sound on bypass. There is some muted induction sound from the Top mounted air filter. It's all nice and quiet. If I run the BOV on 50:50 there is a massive VTA discharge noise when closing throttle after applying full boost. I've seen it scare pedestrians, which is why I changed it back to Bypass. I don't need that kind of grin factor. Grin comes from vanishing quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Grin comes from vanishing quickly.
    I am familiar with this particular facial expression also

ROG, Hi. Yeah, I had to keep ahead of the AM, but you got me with your exhaust blast and wake turbulence too! ;-) Talk about the meat in the sandwich!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    ROG, Hi. Yeah, I had to keep ahead of the AM, but you got me with your exhaust blast and wake turbulence too! ;-) Talk about the meat in the sandwich!
    Lol I was referring to my ex CBR600RR. A little but did you or anyone else experience any black soot-like build-up on the front end of your car after that cruise? I washed twice and its still there. We didn't drive on any dodgy roads so I'm thinking it may have been a lead car or any car for that matter exhaust soot cooling on my front end. Myself and Toddy have the same stuff on the front. Will have to clay bar this weekend. Oh and btw Pistol Pete I think Doug and I commented on the fuel economy after our cruise too. Was pretty impressive considering we were 'giving some' a lot of the time. A few have modified intakes and a few stock MPS' on that run. Your Fuel consumption was mid 10's wasn't it Doug? (off memory) In saying that, Doug doesn't have a standard CAI mod. I reduced my economy on that particular run.

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

I got 9.6L/100ks on that cruise.. not bad considering how much time i spent on boost

Not sure where the black dots on the front of my car came from.. never had anything like that before

Quote: Not sure where the black dots on the front of my car came from.. never had anything like that before ................. Slow natives?

ROG sorry, I thought you were referring to my grimace. Can't recall my fuel burn. It's in one of the threads. But it was in the 9.5-10.2 range.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 13-08-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Too much tailgating!

sounds like you guys had a ball... i may have to drop in on the next cruiz and say hi in person.

Ree fule consumprtion i think we het around 470Kms from a tank at the moment..? but ive not had time to check it properly yet....

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
    sounds like you guys had a ball... i may have to drop in on the next cruiz and say hi in person.

Ree fule consumprtion i think we het around 470Kms from a tank at the moment..? but ive not had time to check it properly yet....
    Definitely, would be good to meet you mate and have you on a cruise sometime. As far as fuel consumption, you will be able to do much more than 470km to a tank. Just depends on traffic conditions, ambient temperature, load etc etc. I've seen over 500kms with mine but typically driving through the city everyday I would be lucky to hit 470km. You will notice on long trips the L/100km will come down. Just reset it every now and then and see what she averages!

M P S

A slightly larger maf ( only very slight change required) wilol cause your car to increase its load calculations, and it will boost spike a little more.. and when you start making real power it may even load cut when the temp gets cold..