User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo problem / smoke

1. Default Turbo problem / smoke

Hi
    Ive got a 2007 MPS 6 with 40k and still no smoke,but for what ive seen in foruns it will probably start smoking soon, looks like 99% of mps smoke ,well for what i seen theres 3 "solutions" that look like to be temporary but just wanna know which one of these is better or if theres another fix for this problem.

does mazda already have a pcv fix ?

3 solutions:

1 - engine oil 5w40
    2 - pcv fix (pt perfomance)
    3- bolt restrictor

4th option - Upgrade turbo

3. Default

which parts need to be changed ? Or just take turbo off and put one better is enough ? No need to repro ?

4. Default

If your car is still in warranty and it does happen Mazda will replace the turbo. I would say its quite extreme to say that 99% of cars get it. Its more actually minority will get the problem.

Fair enough if you're just investigating at this stage, but I would wait until it starts smoking, as it may not at all as BB said, its more of a rare problem. Toddy has had smoke before and has looked into getting a new turbo, which seems like a fair option to consider. There's a fair bit of info on this, which has been discussed already. Have a read and see what options people have gone with or what options have been discussed. Toddy has also tried the bolt restriction trick with little success I believe?

I have to agree with the above comments, not ALL turbos are bad, and we tend to only hear of the experiences with bad ones, people generally dont tend to post about the things that are still working OK in their cars.

The issue seems to be more pronounced when a downpipe is fitted to the car, others have just had it happen at random, some have seen the smoke a handful of times, never to see it again, the issue with the factory turbo seems to be the machining (or more to the point lack there of) of the housing where the seal sits, the rough surface prevents the seal from seating correctly and fluid escapes into the hot exhaust section.

Im not going to sugarcoat this....every option of repairing this is going to be expensive, depending on your intentions with the car, and your budget, options range from remachining / rebuilding the stock unit, to fitting a new, bigger turbo.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

I have a December 07 and DP, no smoking here! Dont worry too much until it happens.. though its good to be prepared...

Here is some more information;
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/intak...-bolt-k04.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/intak...anty-melb.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...moke-idle.html
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

The restrictor bolt did help with my smoking problem but its not a 100% fix. All cars seem to react different so it'd be worth trying first as its cheap and easy

There's plenty of MPS6's with high kms not smoking. I'm running 17.5psi and an FMIC and DP and so far no smoke, although only 46,000kms; however, I don't thrash mine but let it build pace progressively. Some hold that an FMIC will help counter the pressure deficit/imbalance induced by the DP.
    Don't stress over it until you have something concrete to stress about. Chs.

Mine does it often now with the dp, I've had it before but it went away and only now many many months later it's back. To be honest it's not that big a problem only happens for a minute when idling after a bit of a hard run. As soon as you take off it stops.

So the cheap easy fix is don't stop lol

I have tried blipping the throttle when idling at red light and it seems to help as temporary relief.

I dont think 99% myself.....

My car is 3½ years old and done nearly 150000kms...on the original turbo with no smoke at all...

I change my oil every 5000kms...and use Nulon.

Mazda also hasnt touched my car since 60000kms...

Its now outta warranty but I have never had a thing wrong with my car since I bought it....maybe mine was built on a wednesday

Until the problem happens...I really wouldnt worry too much.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

13. Default

well i bought the ptp pcv fix just in case,since its really cheap

In 4.5 years I have had one incident of white smoke that was scary and embarrassing. I had pulled up after a fast run at a major traffic hold up. Was stuck there idling for 15 minutes when suddenly WHITE SMOKE. I thought, "there goes the turbo - megabucks". The traffic cleared and so did the white smoke. That was weeks ago and no recurrence. The car performs perfectly and have been stuck in traffic since but not for so long - maybe 5 minutes. I suspect it is the pcv jamming after being in the same position for too long. Probably complete rubbish but if it happens again I will turn the engine off after a cool down period or blip the throttle occassionally.

When mine would do it, I would just sit the car at around 1500 rpm when stopped at the lights, that would stop the smoke from appearing.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    When mine would do it, I would just sit the car at around 1500 rpm when stopped at the lights, that would stop the smoke from appearing.
    Thats wat I do.

The sad sad things we have to do lol

What makes it really embarrassing is that it stinks.

I know its coming before I see it and why does it smell so bad anyway?

Default Blue Smoke

Hi All,

I have a Oct 2006 built 3MPS. Just in the last 2-weeks I have had this blue smoke problem twice. Both times after idling at lights for a couple of minutes. When I drive off there is a massive cloud of blue smoke obliterates the guy behind me. After 50-metres its clear again. It has only done this twice in the past 2-weeks tho. Not a whisp at any other time.

Does this sound like the same turbo seal problem as others have experienced?

Problem is my car is 9-months out of warranty now but still only has 41,000klms on the clock.

Has anyone else had this same problem outside warranty? And if so have Mazda been prepared to come to the party? Has anyone had theirs done at Centenary Mazda at Taringa in Brisbane?

I have yet to take mine in to them to talk about this. Yesterday was the 2nd time its done it. Although I recall when it was about 6-months old it did this once when I was down the Gold Coast. But never did it again so I never worried about it. Until now!!

Interested to hear about other cases so I can go to them armed with some info. I don't want them to say "Oh!! bad luck this is the first we've ever heard of such a problem".
    Cheers, Clarry
    Mods: MazdaSpeed CAI, Blue Callipers, Custom Striping ("whiskers"), Garmin Nuvi 760, ScanGauge II, MPS FloorMats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast