User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turbo problem / smoke

Quote Originally Posted by clarry View Post
    Hi All,

I have a Oct 2006 built 3MPS. Just in the last 2-weeks I have had this blue smoke problem twice. Both times after idling at lights for a couple of minutes. When I drive off there is a massive cloud of blue smoke obliterates the guy behind me. After 50-metres its clear again. It has only done this twice in the past 2-weeks tho. Not a whisp at any other time.

Does this sound like the same turbo seal problem as others have experienced?

Problem is my car is 9-months out of warranty now but still only has 41,000klms on the clock.

Has anyone else had this same problem outside warranty? And if so have Mazda been prepared to come to the party? Has anyone had theirs done at Centenary Mazda at Taringa in Brisbane?

I have yet to take mine in to them to talk about this. Yesterday was the 2nd time its done it. Although I recall when it was about 6-months old it did this once when I was down the Gold Coast. But never did it again so I never worried about it. Until now!!

Interested to hear about other cases so I can go to them armed with some info. I don't want them to say "Oh!! bad luck this is the first we've ever heard of such a problem".
    Take the CAI off and the Scangauge before you go back. Don't give any reason not to try for a new turbo.

I have heard of new turbos being fitted out of warranty, due to the turbo seal being a common/known issue.

Check the TSB for turbo replacement aswell. (search Google or the USA forums for that one)
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

I'ts been in for two servicings with the CAI fitted. So they know about it being fitted. I actually asked the workshop guy about it and if he knows of any problems such a mod might cause. He said no way.
    Other problem... I have always run good Royal Purple synthetic oil in it because I knew I would be doing low klms. And I have skipped a calendar based servicing to bring the klms back into line again. So I am sure they will throw this one at me as a reason for it being my fault. Even tho it may be a known fault. And I have oil in it that doesn't time deteriorate. And it certainly does not get flogged at all.
    So I fear I may be out on a limb here.
    Cheers, Clarry
    Mods: MazdaSpeed CAI, Blue Callipers, Custom Striping ("whiskers"), Garmin Nuvi 760, ScanGauge II, MPS FloorMats

3. Default

isnt the smoke from turbo seal problem white not blue ?

I thought blue is associated with oil burning or something

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    isnt the smoke from turbo seal problem white not blue ?

I thought blue is associated with oil burning or something
    Yup, if it's Blue smoke it's bigger problem Blue is associated with oil burning, usually the result of worn out valve seals. If the blue smoke is blowing constantly then it's likely to be piston rings. I would say a common cause of both is intense driving and heat causing a twist in the head which can promote leakage past seals etc. I would stand corrected on those points but in general, blue smoke is bad, very bad. The white smoke problem is the turbo seal issue in question

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

The smoke is blue YES. And very thick yesterday. And only after idling for a traffic light cycle.
    EDIT *** after the first 50-metres it was clear again ***
    But it only does it randomly. ie twice in the past 2-weeks. All other times there is not even a whisp of smoke. Even after idling.
    It has never had "intense" driving. The odd brisk acceleration away from the lights. But far from any kind of flogging tho.
    Last edited by clarry; 01-10-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Hmmm, sorry to say but that does not sound good (thick Blue smoke) at idle or on boost. How many kms has the car done?

41,000 klms as I said above.

A wise man (Troy) once told me to drive my car hard when mine started to smoke. I did just that, and NO more smoke at idle.
    When your car plays up, just drive it harder...

Another thing... my car was an ex-demo. It was a demo for about 1-month before I bought it. I wondered if this might be a left-over from being flogged hard when it was a mere baby.

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Hmmm, sorry to say but that does not sound good (thick Blue smoke) at idle or on boost. How many kms has the car done?
    If its blowing blue smoke, get in touch with your dealer right away. Talk to them, see what they want you to do about it. Log each time you contact them and what was discussed / decided.

Quote Originally Posted by clarry View Post
    41,000 klms as I said above.
    Had a feeling you mentioned it and had a quick look but didn't find it. Well it's not like its high kms or anything, so blue smoke shouldn't be an issue. I would get it looked at and maybe they can provide some preliminary solutions. You'll probably find it might cost a bit though as I believe the head has to come off, not to mention parts and just general labour. Hard to say when you don't know the history of the car from new. It is possible it was driven too hard and not worn in correctly.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

It had about 1,000 klms on it from the dealer when I took it. So I guess you've gotta assume it had been driven hard in those early klms. Either by prospective customers or the sales manager taking it home on weekends. Having said that tho I did get a price break at the time of around $5K. So ya could say swings & roundabouts.

They will say that anyway, it's like me saying hello. It's standard. Although apparently they may help, depending on your history and the dealer

royal purple oil has a strange blue tinge to it when the oil seal on the turbine lays an egg..

other synthetics display a white colour,

The symptoms you describe are the ring or seal on the hot side of your turbo

I am running royal purple oil in it too.
    It hasn't done it again yet since the time I put up the original post back on Oct 1st. Despite some lengthy idling in traffic. So I'm quite unsure of what to make of this situation. If I take it into Mazda like this for sure it will be doing nothing wrong when they look at it. And when this happens, because it's out of warranty, they will probably want to charge for the look of course.
    Last edited by clarry; 11-10-2010 at 07:47 AM.

16. Default

Is it normal when the car is stopped for like 4 - 5 days and when i start it it blows a bit of white/transparent smoke for some minutes and has the tendency to start dissapearing the more time its working , it did blow some smoke when i pressed throttle at first but then started to dissapear , i thought it could be the turbo seal problem but i chcked some videos on youtube and the smoke isnt as white as ive seen on the videos its almost transparent and evaporates fast , doesnt make cloud of smoke .. is it normal or is this the turbo seal problem ? temperature here is about 10 - 12ºc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12