User Tag List

Thread: Good read regarding suspension for the MPS3 using Bilsteins dampers (and koni's)

Default Good read regarding suspension for the MPS3 using Bilsteins dampers (and koni's)

hey guys, just finished reading an exhausting 13page thread on peoples thoughts on the bilsteins (and Koni FSD to a certain extent) over on mazdaspeedforums. As I am considering the Eibach Pro springs with Bilstien B8 package that GSL is offering

Bilstein shocks for the ms3 - Mazdaspeed Forums

gets a bit off topic towards the end, most of the good stuff in the first 10pages lol

they get into some quite technical posts which is a great read, mostly centered on improving handling but maintaining ride comfort.

quick summary if you cant be stuffed reading it all:
    - the difference between bilsteins B6 (HD) and B8 (Sports) dampers. Valving is same but the B8 has 0.5" shorter shock length and would be better suited to use with lowering springs (B6 used with stock springs)
    - if you want to improve handling but not lower the car, use bilstein B6 and stock springs
    - few interesting things about stock bump stops front and rear. bilsteins have internal front bump stops, rears are external and you reuse stock ones. but if you want more travel to get these babies Fat Cat Motorsports - Bilstein products - Mazda 3 / Mazdaspeed 3

feel free to add any other summaries of good info or correct me if I've summarised incorrectly (was hrs of reading)

There is some good information here from GSL regarding these.. ill have a search and see if I can find Gregs post.
    The recommended these some time ago.

*EDIT*

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gsl-r...kage-deal.html

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/handl...options-3.html

Thanks for sharing
    Last edited by Jmac; 10-08-2010 at 10:57 PM.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

3. Default

Thanks for sharing. im after improving handling but due to a shockign driveway cant change my ride height. good to know there are options out there for me

Im running B6's and Stock Springs was running H&R Springs but decided i wanted my stock height back due to practicality!

5. Default

how much were the B6's ... do you need specific ones for a 6 or 3 ?

Thanks Lup15 as I'm looking to put Bilsteins in myself, i have some reading to do....

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    how much were the B6's ... do you need specific ones for a 6 or 3 ?
    I bought the Full Set of B6s for the Mazda 3 (assume they are model specific)

was only 1089 NZD inclusive of 12.5% GST

was reasonable.. keep in mind various shocks are cross compatible with other vehicles also.. but there should be a Kit (Front and Rear that is Mazda 6 specific!)

The Front Shocks and their Shafts are thing of beauty

Check this shit

The Shaft of the Front Shocks is humungadunga... the factory Front shocks have shafts around the width of that of the bilstiend rear shocks!

Rear Setup

Front Setup

Part Numbers FYI

[/COLOR]What i do recomend however is throwing away the factory Dust Covers and buying some Universal Steering Boots to replace the dust covers on the fronts.. (the rears come with a nice cover supplied)

i was worried the grit and grime allowed in on the fronts by the cruddy factory covers was going to destroy the seals in no time.. so the tight sealed rubber boots seemed much more appealing

Nice Ranton,

That's what I was considering for when I upgrade.

9. Default

Thanks work is blocking the sexy images will have to have a better look when I get home

yea I'd definitely get some dust boots. don't know why they wouldnt just supply them :/

thats a pretty cheap price too. I reckon if you look hard enough, should be able to get springs and shocks for under $1500. is doing the installation yourself worth the hassle? Never worked on cars with the spring and dampener separate...

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    yea I'd definitely get some dust boots. don't know why they wouldnt just supply them :/

thats a pretty cheap price too. I reckon if you look hard enough, should be able to get springs and shocks for under $1500. is doing the installation yourself worth the hassle? Never worked on cars with the spring and dampener separate...
    Fronts Not as difficult as some make it out to be.. i can pull shocks and change springs in about 3.5 hours bymyself with only handtools and working with Jacks and JAck stands..

the rears are a little fiddly at first.. but the job is definately do able by yourself.. gives you an opportunity to understand your car a little better.. and probably freak you out a bit that only a few bolts separate your car and the road by means of keeping the suspention in place...