User Tag List

Thread: 6 MPS Towbar

Default 6 MPS Towbar

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew of someone in Brisbane who does towbars for the 6 MPS? So far I haven't had any luck, with most places stating how the MPS is not meant to tow...

I am not looking at towing anything other than a lightweight Sea Kayak trailer (transporting the kayak seems to be the only thing this MPS won't do for me).

The roof rack option looks like a no-go with the kayak being 5.4 metres and the racks being so close together... Plus I don't really want saltwater all over the car and the look of racks...

Perhaps a modified version of the standard towbar can do the job?

Anyway, thanks for any help in advance!

Bump

Blackbetty has a Hayman Reese towbar fitted , I did some research on this awhile back, never got one as I decided I'd borrow the father in-laws X5 to tow if I needed

Hayman Reese

Try their site they'll have stockists etc there
    Last edited by shakespeare; 16-08-2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Can't spell

Cheers Shakespeare. I have already checked with Hayman and Reece and they said that the car was never meant to tow and the rear bumper is too low for a towbar.

I'll have to check into which Hayman and Reece Blackbetty used.

Thanks

Any word on how this went?

I'm looking to purchase an MPS6 but towing is essential (small trailer with dirt bike on the back). I've driven past an MPS6 towing a trailer full of junk so I guess it isn't a matter of if but its more so about how to do it.

6. Default

Skyna Roof rack city in Phillip, ACT definately do one for the MPS6, a few people have got them done there and even some guys from Sydney drove down fot he day to have it done, where abouts are you ?

Heres some pics of mine from uder the car and looking at the car without the tow ball attached

Last edited by blackbetty; 25-09-2010 at 07:48 PM.
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Excellent. What was the damage price wise? I'm from Newcastle, so it'd definitely be an overnighter

BB, hi, this one looks pretty neat; I'm pleasantly surprised. But looking at the extent and size of the mounts and fastenings, I'd say it's not for big loads, maybe a 6x4 Box trailer and that's about it. My private view, however, is that tow-bars are an abomination on nice and particularly sporty cars but often, regrettably, unavoidable.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 26-09-2010 at 12:11 PM.

9. Default

Heres details of my towbar specs and what they did

1. Towing Capacity rated 1000kg down force 80kg

2. I organised through Mazda to get it fitted as part of my dealer delivery when I brought the car. It was fitted by Roof Rack City Woden and is a Modified Haymen Reece tow bar manufactured for the mazda 6. The modification says it has been altered and adapted to suite the MPS6, incl fitting of larger bolts to the chassis (4x10mm instead of 8mm) manufactured and fitted an adapter for the attachment to the spare wheel well which takes up the gap between the tow bar and the spare wheel well.

It did cost me $1700 but Im sure thats because Mazda got an Engineers Certificate for it as they were delivering a new vehicle to me and had to be certified roadworthy to tick all their boxes etc.

Shinslinger has driven down from sydney to get the same one fitted and his was cheaper as it was organised direct with them and didnt have the engineers certificate, maybe pm him for the price he paid. Im not 100% sure what he tows but mine is only used to attach my bike rack to the car as im short and theres no way i can have a bike rack on the roof
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

I've been too busy trying to sort out my brakes lately. I'm too far away from Canberra (Brisbane) so I've been looking at stealing the design of Mels (Aka Blackbetty). Her design looks very covert!

11. Default

Heres some more pics in detail of how it attaches to the car as I was asked today about it Im not 100% sure of what an MPS6 looks like in behind the rear bumper to know whats part of my towbar modifcation plate and whats normally there. If someone else with an MPS6 without a towbar could post up pics as a comparison that would be great

These pictures are taken looking back inside of the rear bumper to where it connects to the car.

Last edited by blackbetty; 26-09-2010 at 03:16 PM.

12. Default

I got my 6 mps bar done by Speedy Towbars at Everton Hills/Arana Hills.
    It is a custom modified bar from a standard 6 and works really well.
    Has to be done in their workshop though

Default 6 MPS Towbar

Quote Originally Posted by 12tre View Post
    I got my 6 mps bar done by Speedy Towbars at Everton Hills/Arana Hills.
    It is a custom modified bar from a standard 6 and works really well.
    Has to be done in their workshop though
    Pricey much?

Sent from my iPhone
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 99GTT View Post
    Pricey much?

Sent from my iPhone
    I can't remember exactly, cause I also got a removable guard fitted which stops you putting the trailer coupling through the bumper if you over run or miss the ball, but from memory it was around 750 to 800 plus the guard.

If I can work out how to do it I will photograph it on the iPad and upload (new to forum and new to iPad).

15. Default

I can't remember exactly, cause I also got a removable guard fitted which stops you putting the trailer coupling through the bumper if you over run or miss the ball, but from memory it was around 750 to 800 plus the guard.

If I can work out how to do it I will photograph it on the iPad and upload (new to forum and new to iPad).
    Just had a go and can't work out how to upload photos direct from iPad. Will have to wait until I am next chained to a desk

Default 6 MPS Towbar

Either use something like www.Photobucket.com to host your pictures.

Are you using Tapatalk? If not, works a treat in IPad. Its a forum app. Easier to read posts and load photos.

yes please! photos
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

18. Default

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-06 09.08.01.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	233.9 KB 
ID:	14152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-06 09.08.41.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	259.0 KB 
ID:	14153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-06 09.09.11.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	14154Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-06 09.09.22.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	14155

Sorry it's taken so long.

Quote Originally Posted by 99GTT View Post
    Pricey much?

Sent from my iPhone