User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boost Guage into MPS 6 Air vent

1 more question guys! What do you use to block off the air con vent?

I looked at trying to block the back of vent, in the end I left it and have no problems with it

Wouldn't that in some way cause some damage to the gauge? When you have the A/C on cool, it may not cause any issue but what happens when you turn on the heater in winter? Surely warm air to the rear of the gauge plus wiring wouldn't be good for it. (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    1 more question guys! What do you use to block off the air con vent?
    I just used styrofoam from an old tomato box at home, works great! Especially as a thermal insulator

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    I just used styrofoam from an old tomato box at home, works great! Especially as a thermal insulator
    I was thinking of using styrofoam but was unsure whether it would crack, smell or break apart after awhile.
    Addicted to Boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    I was thinking of using styrofoam but was unsure whether it would crack, smell or break apart after awhile.
    Had mine in for about 5 months now, no problems at all.

Thanks for the info mate! I will be looking for styroform at the back of Woolies tonight!

Ive had mine in for a year and have had no problems, I don't have a super expensive gauge (SAAS) plus I run an autobarn store so if it fails Im pretty well covered

9. Default

I used closed cell foam from Clark rubber, less likely to degrade than styrofoam.

But since then, I have un-installed the gauge, as it looked a bit tacky, and the air distribution in the cabin was off.

Where do we plumb in the vacuum line to? Is it the little black hose leading away from the silver thing in the picture? Looks like the waste gate actuator... Is this where you would place the "t" piece?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304315370.571898.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	8364  

Dont touch the one in plastic pipe i tried that and upon pulling hose off it snapped off. cost me just under 200 dollars for a new one from mazda. Go to autobarn or somewhere and do what i did get a reducer t piece its bigger to fit the line to the bov and the bit of the single piece of the t piece is smaller that allows you to put to a boost gauge. if that makes sense you want postive manifold pressure. the bov line is the easier and best.

Is anyone willing to install a boost gauge on my MPS6? The middle vent to be exact. I'm willing to pay for someone to install. Preferred someone who have installed the gauge onto their MPS6.

I'm in Sydney BTW. Cheers!

Not a problem, whats a fair price for return airfares from Adelaide and 3 hours labour ? Can do this Sunday lol

You could tour the world helping people install their gauges :P

Quote Originally Posted by MZSPD6 View Post
    I'm finding it hard to drive with out constantly looking at it lol

Glad you all think it looks good too
    fancy a drive to perth to fit 1? lol

they look tasty! will definitely be doing this one day!

Quote Originally Posted by SydRuss View Post
    I got myself a 60mm Prosport gauge too, So i'm looking to get as much info on installing that particular one as possible.
    I see you got a little sun visor on top of yours. Did you use the mount that came with the gauge? Did you get a lot of glare before installing it, or you just installed it at the same time with gauge?
    If your gauge is an electric one, where did you install the "sender"? And where did you cut the vacuum line?
    The sun visor came with the unit, there is some glare but i used it more for aesthetic completion, i think it looks wicked

it is an electric stepper motor gauge, great little unit , the vacuum line was T tapped at the BOV line

I toyed with the idea of putting mine in the centre vent. It looks neat but I decided against this location as:

- I like my aircon fully functional.
    - It's a real fiddle to do.
    - Most importantly, if you are going to have a boost guage then the object is to drive on it; it is a very dynamic instrument and you NEED to refer to it constantly. The times when you REALLY need to refer to it are when accelerating hard, and that is when you need maximum focus AHEAD, not laterally and inside the cabin - refer "I'm finding it hard to drive with out constantly looking at it, lol" . I need mine to establish degree of throttle closure on upshifts, as well as for total boost, of course.

I put mine on top of the steering column, so it sits, visually, between the two major dials without obscuring them. The leads tuck easily down the column under the instrument cluster.

Horses for courses, of course!
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 12-09-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: fix typos
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

nice mate, I am looking to put in a boost gage over the next couple of months, that is an awesome option. nicely done.

Yeah I'm so used to it now I forget it's not stock lol ;-)
    Good luck with the install! Post up a pic when it's done!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123