User Tag List

Thread: WARNING wide wheels and coilovers

Default WARNING wide wheels and coilovers

I have been doing a LOT of reseach on wide wheels and coilovers after Troy ( 2xs) and Col alerted me to running 18x8.5 with +48 offset. The clearance between shock and spring are very close, on standard i have 5mm clearance on stock shocks.

But some coilovers like BC have a threaded sleave which adds 3+mm. so ur gana touch or be to close for comfort! coilovers like KW dont have the threaded sleave so clearance is fine between shock and rims BUT!! KW dropped the CONNECTION FOR THE END LINK DOWN ON THE SWAY BAR down so u have a bit more clearance. The end result is the spring drops down firther IT WILL NOT CLEAR THE RIM AND TYRE THE SPRING WILL TOUCH THE TYRE...

Guys i wanted to alert u's all to be very careful when modding or can be more of a pain than whats it worth research before u spend... im gald i have posted my intensions on this forum as there are guarden angles here that will help u.

heres some pics

Pic1. is of a BC and u can see there is a lip that sits in the hub this lip adds a few mm's to the size/width of the coilover

pic2. u can see stock shock vs KW coilover, this has no threaded sleave on the bottom. but see the connection for the end link/sway bar it is lower. the spring or lock nuts will touch on ur rim ( if its wide 18x8.5 +48) if u run a +35 rim u might clear
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

THANKS TROY AND COL for alerting me

So you purchased the KW ones?

Could you get a slightly shorter spring (or cut a coil off- yes, I know, dodgy) to clear the tyres when set at the height you want?

Attachment 5055

this is what i will be using. H&R! u can see in the pic there it STEPs IN after the hub meets coilover ( more clearance). and the mount for the endlink/sway bar mount is same as standard (wont touch spring mount)....

i thought of that... i could get u too do it for me. than heat and flaten the bottom the spring off so it looked like a real pro job