User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stereo - What Have People Done?

Default Stereo - What Have People Done?

Have been giving serious contemplation to upgrading the MPS's stereo, as I feel the standard Bose system is not cutting the mustard!
    My previous car was a 90 VN SS with a full Alpine sound system, and I am missing the superior sound

I was very interested to see/hear what other members had done to improve thier ride's sound systems, posting photos and such.
    I have seen the dash inserts on Ebay to put in DVD screens etc, but my main concern is what happens to the LCD screen that displays the Climate Control setings and such - what to do with that

So what's the goss?

Blog Entries

My current stereo in my car...

Stock Mazda Headunit with Navone Line Out Converter
    Music Sources: Playstation Portable custom mounted in ashtry & iPod nano mounted on back of center console
    Equaliser: Coustic 7 Band (mounted in glove box)
    Front Speakers: Stock
    Front Speaker Amplifier: Audison SRx2
    Rear Speakers: Removed
    Subwoofer: Pioneer 12" Subwoofer In Pioneer Box
    Subwoofer Amplifier: Cadence z5000
    Sound Deadening: Dynamat Extreme (doors & boot)

The system looks stock as the EQ is hidden in the glovebox and amps are underneath the seat and in the boot. The PSP in the only real give away.

Not Gone...just "busy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino
    It's not blue screen of death Kent, it's Auora Blue screen of death

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EVILMPS View Post
    my main concern is what happens to the LCD screen that displays the Climate Control setings and such - what to do with that

So what's the goss?
    Early models the climate control screen etc had electronics on the head unit that meant the display failed when head unit removed - I have read that newer models (07+) have those electronics with the screen so headunit removal does not prevent the screen working....So I've heard anyway.

I am thinking I will place a touch-screen in a stow-away above the centre console vents - there's a mazda part from japanparts.com that will do the trick - same dash piece replaced as the CPE triple guage pod piece...

wondering whether you could do a special order through mazda for that part as one of the options for the mps was the sat nav/rear park screen above the air con vents in the centre ??

the sat nav screen would automatically collapse when the car was shut down.
    be pretty sweet to add a touch screen av set up to look factory

Blog Entries

I know Swallowtail on here has it in his 6MPS and it looks hot as!

I know its not cheap but it does look pretty good when done right.

Quote Originally Posted by kookie View Post
    wondering whether you could do a special order through mazda for that part as one of the options for the mps was the sat nav/rear park screen above the air con vents in the centre ??

the sat nav screen would automatically collapse when the car was shut down.
    be pretty sweet to add a touch screen av set up to look factory
    "Factory Ey?"
    "Touch Screen Ey?"

I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to new car audio, would a touch screen mean a new stereo head-unit? Obviously speakers and amps etc can be put in where-ever they fit.
    Any ideas? I'm quite fond of Alpine myself

well factory is probably the wrong word to use, geniune mazda part more specifically. It was a 3k option for sat nav and rear park tv which fit in the dash.... anyways just an idea !

3K?????
    Holy Crap!!!!

Might go and speak to the boys at Alberts Car Stereo, they're our local Alpine dealers.

Blog Entries

The Sat nav I have in mine is a VDO Dayton unit, Mazda did a run of RX8s and MPS6s with them in (about 40 of each I believe). So mine has a VDO Dayton PC5600 under the passenger seat, then a Mazda screen where the map compartment is on a standard 6. Parts prices - the screen is about about 8K from Mazda. Yes, I said 8K. E-I-G-H-T. I know this as they have had to replace mine twice under warranty. . It's a sweet setup as Tricache says, but it's strictly sat nav only not audio. You can extend the VDO system with AV and Bluetooth capability, but it's not cheap, and there are better options I believe. I've ended up going Parrot for Bluetooth, and iPhone > Xcarlink adapter > stereo rear input on mine. So i have a much better end package than stock, but I haven't played with speakers or amps.

I am told that putting some decent sound deadening in the doors makes a difference.
    2009 VW Passat R36 - 220KW of German engineering.
    EQ - "I must admit, having driven Simons Passat, I was simply....impressed, very impressed. My flat cap and whippet, old man jokes are definalty put back in the kit bag."

Quote Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
    The Sat nav I have in mine is a VDO Dayton unit, Mazda did a run of RX8s and MPS6s with them in (about 40 of each I believe). So mine has a VDO Dayton PC5600 under the passenger seat, then a Mazda screen where the map compartment is on a standard 6. Parts prices - the screen is about about 8K from Mazda. Yes, I said 8K. E-I-G-H-T. I know this as they have had to replace mine twice under warranty. . It's a sweet setup as Tricache says, but it's strictly sat nav only not audio. You can extend the VDO system with AV and Bluetooth capability, but it's not cheap, and there are better options I believe. I've ended up going Parrot for Bluetooth, and iPhone > Xcarlink adapter > stereo rear input on mine. So i have a much better end package than stock, but I haven't played with speakers or amps.

I am told that putting some decent sound deadening in the doors makes a difference.
    8K??
    Great Suffering Duck-****!!!!!
    I bet your dealer was happy aboot that!

Blog Entries

8K??
    Great Suffering Duck-****!!!!!
    I bet your dealer was happy aboot that!
    The dealer didn't give a rat's you-know-what... it was a warranty job, so not his concern on the parts front. The labour was a different story... I have no idea how they negotiated how much labour mazda would reimburse him, as it took them a couple of days to sort the screen out.
    2009 VW Passat R36 - 220KW of German engineering.
    EQ - "I must admit, having driven Simons Passat, I was simply....impressed, very impressed. My flat cap and whippet, old man jokes are definalty put back in the kit bag."

I've got a Kenwood indash popout DVD in my 3, Lanzar amp, Soundstream sub and cap. I'll post pics on the weekend. Also done a respray of the centre console. Post that up too, but I'll put it in a DIY section. Stay tuned for pics. The new trim only cost $50. Also I have an 06 MPS and the LCD display above the stereo still works. Only the steering wheel controls don't work. It's a $300 option for the headunit, so i thought I can reach 10 inches to the stereo for $300. The only issue I had was finding which wires for what speakers for the factory amp. I still run the factory front speakers in the doors and factory amp.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Lovin' driving on the F3 every day!!!! NOT
    Blog Entries

Have been giving serious contemplation to upgrading the MPS's stereo, as I feel the standard Bose system is not cutting the mustard!
    My previous car was a 90 VN SS with a full Alpine sound system, and I am missing the superior sound

I was very interested to see/hear what other members had done to improve thier ride's sound systems, posting photos and such.
    I have seen the dash inserts on Ebay to put in DVD screens etc, but my main concern is what happens to the LCD screen that displays the Climate Control setings and such - what to do with that

So what's the goss?
    A VN SS, I had of those many moons ago, a phoenix red one (i think thats what it was called) That was before i got the VTII SS, and i also upgraded the stereo in both although i used Pioneer.

I agree with the sentiment on the Bose in my MPS. I was trying to find out info on upgrading it to a touch screen with all the bits, although it seems pretty damn expensive. I will be interested in what everyone says.
    2006 True Red Gen 1 3 MPS Sports.

ZOOM ZOOM ZZOOMZ

Corksport Stuff, Special Mazda 6 Horn

Why replace the head unit?.. Look into a processor so you can utilize the stock HU and run aftermarket amps etc.

Something like the Audison Bit1, Rockford 3sixty or JL Clean Sweep.
    Last edited by Jmac; 02-02-2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: added examples

Blog Entries

yeah I agree with Jmac, keep the original HU...it looks good and I have heard of stacks of people getting dash kits and the colour is either not 100% or it doesn't fit right.

If anyone is interested in playing with the stock Bose system do a search on "How to: get more bass from factory Bose subwoofer" and have a read - no need to read all 18 pages.

I have two of the stage 1 pre-amps made up (not the stage 2 amps that were being sold). I tried one in my car and decided that I preferred the stock sound. The other I made for another forum member but he never picked it up.

They are free to anyone who provides a stamped self addressed envelope.

Gone to Volvo

Blog Entries

slightly off topic but did they make it sound any better or just more muddy and clouded?

Well they were intended to make the bass less muddy and more punchy, and a few people said they liked the results. To my ear it did both of those things, but it also sounded like there was less body to the music. Maybe cos I'm getting old.

I have been playing with mine and done the following:

5x7 Polk audio 160w coaxials to replace all 4 doors.
    tweeters disconnected
    Focal Bus20 150w under seat subwoofer
    Sound deadening, 4 doors and ALL of boot (help with exhaust drone)
    Pre-amp to line in for MP3 player (as i havnt amped the speakers yet)
    MP3 input = Blackberry storm.

Spend = $1200

CAR PC and 7 inch Holygrail folding monitor in map box on top of dash (broken)!
    For sale....

Blog Entries

Jim did the 5x7's fit fine or did you need to put in adapters at all?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast