User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aftermarket BOV (plumb back) make any performance differences?

I started this thread asking specifically about plumb back valves. Vta valves are purely aesthetic and are probably detrimental to performance.

Ive found that pedal response was better with an aftermakert plumb back valve, less air vented as the valve closes quicker.

edit. Actually , reading over the last few posts it seems ppl jumped to conclusions without reading what I was actually asking... it was never about vta valves... further more, it's not the peak pressure the valve holds, but also the response. Much like 2 turbos with the same power rating, but the behaviour building up can be dramatically different.
    Last edited by lup15; 24-09-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Hey all,
    I have just recirculated my after market bov and was wondering if anyone else that has done the same has encountered rubbing issues on the bonnet.

Cheers

Yes, what brand? If it's a gfb you can disassemble it and change the orientation of the top piece to face the opposite direction.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

It is a HKS

I agree with a lot of the above posts. People claiming more "power" are clearly smoking way to much crack. I've owned a lot of turbo parts and it's one ofthe first mods I buy for several reasons. 1 reduced compressor surge from air flowing back into the turbo. 2 adjustability for higher boost settings keeping a stable idle if you buy a non Chinese no brand bov. 3 the noise is always nice but that's purely a personal thing. As for servicing a bov this is also extremely common and it's the norm. If you don't want to waste your money fair enough but the stock plastic bov is terrible at holding any sort of decent boost so an aftermarket aluminium one holds much better personally I run the turbo smart bov and have noticed much better and consistent boost pressures I think it's well worth it. It's your car and money but of you are looking for more performance a bov is not the way to go because you will be very disappointed it's not what they are designed for. Best of luck with it mate bit that plastic thing isn't going to last long so you'll need one eventually. Just my 2 cents worth

6. Default

An old trick for every OEM plumback is to plug up the 2-3mm hole that lives in between the negative and positive portion of the bov. Nissan and subaru metal bovs are dissaseble freindly (unscrew them in half, plug up hole, reassemble). Not sure if Mps bovs are the same, im sure you kids have time to try it out.

Slow6 you contradict yourself.
    'Claim more power are smoking crack'
    'Its terrible at holding any sort of decent boost'

I'd say that's why.

BOV / BPV are so mainstream... new-age turbo owners just use compressor surge to slow the turbo down.

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    BOV / BPV are so mainstream... new-age turbo owners just use compressor surge to slow the turbo down.
    Im one of them and at the same time.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

@TimmyMPS, i just had a GFB t9002 BOB installed over the weekend by @bozjet. Ill be honest, the VTA sounds awesome, but I'm going to leave it 100% recirc. The car holds boost better during shifts, and feels smoother to drive.

It is fully adjustable though...so i can have some fun when i want to. Now i just need to get a tune by @Rayd

Sent from my 920 using Tapatalk
    wsDK_II
    Radiant Ebony Mazda MPS 6 (September-2007)
    My Ride: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...-services.html
    What is stock????

Quote Originally Posted by wsDKII View Post
    @TimmyMPS, i just had a GFB t9002 BOB installed over the weekend by @bozjet. Ill be honest, the VTA sounds awesome, but I'm going to leave it 100% recirc. The car holds boost better during shifts, and feels smoother to drive.

It is fully adjustable though...so i can have some fun when i want to. Now i just need to get a tune by @Rayd

Sent from my 920 using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate, I think I had the tune wrong (spring not loaded enough) I was doing most of the mods myself and as a process of elimination was making sure I was not doing anything to damage the car. It sounds great when its on with the SRI, Ill be putting it back on this weekend and seeing if I can get the spring load right.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
    CorkSport SRI-TIP ][ KingSprings ][ CP-E TMIC][ Cobb AP (stage 1 tune) ][ Prosport Boost gage ][ Apexi RSM, ][corksport top front strut brace ][ corksport top rear strut brace ][ corksport short shift plate ][ Autotech HPFP internals ][ CS LED light kit ][ CS rear engine mount][CSDP ][ GFB BOV ][DBA front disks]

Alex from stratified did up a great post regarding getting the spring tension right in an adjustable BOV. Basically need to let the right amount of air out

13. Default

Mzrspeed over at msf forums ran 11 second pass with stock PBV.

First 11 sec K04 - Mazdaspeed Forums

WOT throttle going in a straight line /= real world street driving. I.e. you dont use part throttle on/off

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    WOT throttle going in a straight line /= real world street driving. I.e. you dont use part throttle on/off

So real world requirement means an aftermarket bov is required so i can 'perform' to my milk bar and back?
    Last edited by creole; 07-06-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by creole View Post
    So real world requirement means an aftermarket bov is required so i can 'perform' to my milk bar and back?
    if you drive your car to just get milk, then I dont think you should be driving an MPS. take the car for a mountain run and see how important throttle response is

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12