User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OBD2 Port Readers

Default OBD2 Port Readers

What OBD2 Port Readers have people got/recommend? I want to purchase one with 802.11/wifi so that I can run Rev on my Ipod wirelessly... Was looking at KiWi by PLX but they seem a bit exxy?

Wifi seems a bit extreme for this application, is the iphone compatible with running a bluetooth OBD2 dongle? Although now that I think about it I know the iphone does have a rather crippled array of bluetooth profiles (last time I checked which admittedly was a while ago) which doesnt include the Serial Port Profile so maybe that doesn't work. I'm waiting on a bluetooth OBD2 thing from ebay so will be able to tell you guys if it works, but thats for an android phone. Still I'd look into if you could use bluetooth instead some how as you will be able to save a lot of money that way.

REV is totally over priced for the iPhone. Brackus' OBDII bluetooth connector and droid was excellent and the trip mapping very cool and price = cheaper. I am awaiting a droid phone now as already have a reasonlably priced bluetooth dongle ($45) that picked up off eBay. Also have a CAN OBDII ScanTool which is simple plug in OBDII device and can read codes/ clear CELS but haven't had to put it to the test yet thankfully. If you wanna borrow it at all I am on the northside and often head up to redcliffe for work.

Well if you are going down that path I have a USB to OBD2 cable that I know works in the car(or at least a mazda 6 mps) that could be on your doorstep for $25!

Like another member here I went the Garmin Hd Eco Route. It does read and clear codes and gives you these cool gauges but if you strictly want a diagnostic device then try what Brackhaus has, if you have Android that is. I avoided a IPhone device as I didn't want to tie the phone up with playing music, taking a call and have the OBDII running. If you're in the market for a new GPS the Garmin is excellent anyway. The ODBII reader is $180 extra on top of whatever Garmin Nuvi model you choose.

Hmmm thanks guys, but I think you are all just telling me that I am lame and need to get an android Jokes ofcourse, thanks for the offers and advise :-)
    See I just have a spare ipod touch that I was just going to hook up into the car to play music and then also double use it for data logging/CEL codes when I needed.. But Rev only uses wireless tech - not bluetooth and doesnt have support for cable connection either. But if the cheapest I can get is around the $300 mark then it isnt worth it.

I would really like to invest in a GPS so I think I might just bite the bullet and go with Yelbarb's suggestion and look into the Garmin...

I'm running this

DealExtreme: $53.99 ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle

with my android phone and Torque application. Supposedly able to clear CEL codes, but haven't had one yet. Seems a good setup, but having a few issues get the phone to upload the log for Torque. Once upload you can see some of the data and a gps map of the drive.

Seems like the only cheap way is by getting bluetooth, which is what that one is unfortunately... Looked at lunch and the Garmins are only $300ish, which is pretty decent price. So it looks like the ipod will just need to stay hidden away in the glove compartment, hehe.

Don't forget that you need the eco route attachment which is $150+ and only works with certain garmin models. There is a big discussion on here somewhere about them, worth a read.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZedN View Post
    Seems like the only cheap way is by getting bluetooth, which is what that one is unfortunately... Looked at lunch and the Garmins are only $300ish, which is pretty decent price. So it looks like the ipod will just need to stay hidden away in the glove compartment, hehe.
    If you have a serial port on whatever device you are connecting, Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can get away with just a cable, no real electronics. Same cable that connects OBD to bluetooth/USB interfaces, just without the serial <--> USB/bluetooth electronics.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

If this is anything to go by its not quite that simple
    OBD2 - RS232 adapter cable (ISO 9141-2) project
    The main complication as shown here is getting the OBD2 connector. Half the time due to the mass produced nature of the ebay cables it'd be cheaper to just buy a USB cable then it would be to build your own proper serial one... or have a seriously ugly substitute like in that link.

Another option is to harass Apple to quit being lazy and turn on more bluetooth profiles in their devices. It isn't a hardware limitation its a software one. They just didn't bother adding anything more than the absolute minimum to their firmware.

Actually now that I think about it there were some projects that would allow a jail broken iphone to get a more complete bluetooth stack... however I'm not sure if these are even active anymore.

I use a scanguageII. The are pretty cheap at sub $200 and I have it permanently mounted on my steering column. It allows me to keep an eye on actual coolant temps, air temp etc and can display 4 things at once. It can also be used to read error codes and reset them. Nice and simple!

ScanGaugeII - Australian Sales - Trip Computers + Digital Gauges + Scan Tool - Ample Outdoors

are there any readers that also have a video output so that I can connect it to the in-dash monitor?

Blog Entries

That's the sort of thing I would use an microITX computer for. Dashcommand would be software tool to use then.

I just bought and installed a $30 BT OBDII dongle that I got on eBay, connected it to Torque on my HTC Magic. Seems to work well.

Three questions / observations:

1) Are the MPS3 speedometers really that inaccurate? The speedo seemed to consistently display 5-10% below what the OBDII reports in Torque...

2) How / where are you mounting your phone to easily read the display?

3) Does anyone know of an application that has a shift indicator? Torque doesn't yet do this, although someone has already suggested it to the author.

1) It is likely, they tend to read that low on purpose. Someone would more than likely sue Mazda if they got a speeding fine and it was proven that their car read slower from the factory, so to be safe they aim low to ensure all cars will be close to correct or read faster.

2) Have a look on ebay, I grabbed a mount for my phone which will probably stick to the window, but you might be able to get out to mount it on the dash a bit like a boost guage etc. I'm just a little worried about leaving it there all the time as it makes people more likely to break into your car looking for a gps etc.

3) I only know of one other program that's free OBDroid or whatever its called. Might be worth checking that. If not waiting till the author updates might work, depending on how often he does it. Maybe even email him asking if he plans to add it some time soon?

When you clear the CELs with one of these devices does that fix the "limp" mode too? If I am getting a CEL the car usually in limp mode first without a CEL, then I turn the ignition off and on again and the CEL appears.

Any idea what the cause of the CEL is? I get an error about my non existant 2nd cat not coming up to power and that doesnt seem to have any real effect on performance. So it would have to be something pretty important to put the car in limp home mode. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't take you out of the mode though. I'd just recommend fixing the problem first before you break something.

a bit different to what the OP was after, but I was looking for an OBD2 reader which can output to an in-dash monitor. theres the HKS Camp 2 or the Blitz RVIT DS. they both go for a bit of money, but I will probably get the blitz product later down the track if I dont find any alternatives. Theres also a product called Magden but that is no longer in production

Yeah the Blitz looks pretty nice, expecially if you have a LCD headunit that would work with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast