User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Subaru Liberty revealed

Default New Subaru Liberty revealed

New Subaru Liberty revealed
    Jez Spinks, drive.com.au, January 20, 2009

Detroit motor show concept offers sneak peek at Japanese car maker’s latest-generation medium car.

2009 Subaru Liberty Concept

Subaru has provided a first peek of its next-generation Liberty that will be bigger and more refined than its predecessor.

The Japanese car maker has released its first official photo of the 2009 Detroit motor show concept car that previews the new Liberty due to go on sale in Australia next September.

Details of the new mid-sizer are scarce, though the Legacy Concept – reflecting the car’s name in markets outside of Australia – suggests another new front-end design for Subaru.

The new Liberty’s styling will look more aggressive than on the outgoing model, and is expected to retain the concept’s flared wheel-arches and bold grille. The concept’s LED lights are unlikely to make it into production.

Subaru insiders say the car will also be slightly bigger and feature more standard equipment. The Liberty’s cabin is expected to be more spacious and feature higher-quality materials.

The Liberty concept car features all-wheel drive, of course, and is powered by a 3.6-litre horizontally opposed engine from the Tribeca softroader, though Australia’s production versions will use tweaked versions of the current range of 2.5-litre four-cylinder and 3.0-litre six-cylinder ‘boxer’ engines.

Subaru’s higher-riding, tougher-looking version of the Liberty – the Outback – will in November debut the company’s new 2.0-litre flat-four turbo diesel down-under in November.

The ‘boxer’ diesel has only a modest 110kW of power, but its torque figure of 350Nm (from as low as 1800rpm) promises effortless real-world performance as well as efficiency – less than 6.0L/100km in European-market Libertys.

The preview concept makes its debut in Detroit in January because North America is the Legacy’s biggest market, accounting for 43 per cent of production.

The Liberty is the third most popular Subaru in Australia. Sales have slipped 14 per cent year on year in a medium-car segment that in 2008 saw the arrival of two key newcomers, the latest-generation Mazda6 and Honda Accord Euro.

Next year marks the Liberty’s 20th anniversary, having first launched in 1989.

Subaru produces the Liberty in both Japan (Gunma) and Lafayette (US).

Happy Motoring
    duglet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Subaru-Liberty-Concept-02-l_700.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Subaru-Liberty-Concept-03-l_700.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Subaru-Liberty-Concept-04-l_700.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Subaru-Liberty-Concept-05-l_700.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Subaru-Liberty-Concept-07-l_700.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	224  

A face only a mother could love

They should just put that back in the closet never to be seen again...

Looks like an AU Falcon crossed with a Holden/Daewoo Epica and a VE Commodore.

are subaru doing?
    are these cars being designed in korea or india now??!?

Blog Entries

exterior suxs...interia is rockin.

Blog Entries

whats with subi and there ugly ass cars now!!! they used to make some hot looking cars.

Blog Entries

Subaru need to fire their entire styling team. They've already had to revamp a model for no other reason than because it was butt-ugly enough to make small children cry (tribeca) - looks like they want to try that again.

oh dear god!!!! its a monster! what have they done. SUBARU designers should all be hung, drawn and quartered!

That's what happens when a car company with no styling talent designs a car primarily for US consumption.

Thats another tick in the box for euro design and built.....

With the rubbish they are producing, Subby will be up for sale soon....

anyone want to go halves
    Last edited by ChaMPS; 22-01-2009 at 04:40 PM.

ooooh what have they done???? the only two things i like are the funky interior concept and the C pillar treatment - reminds me of my old SP23 sedan - yeeeesh v. Americano let's hope it's better in the metal

12. Default

ah Scooby, what a mess! Some proportions are waaay off the mark. Those pumped guards make the wheels look tiny, and the front just looks weird, not aggressive or stylish at all.The solid front bumper piece below the grille needs another opening/air intake. From the A-pillar back is better - it looks alot like the Lexus GS. It's a brave design that doesn't quite work.

I still like the look of the current Liberty; it has aged remarkably well. And I much prefer the interior of the current Liberty over the first generation Mazda6 (and its McIntosh audio system craps all over our mediocre Bose system). I've always thought if the MPS engine was available in the Liberty it would be an awesome car. It was the 6MPS's engine that swayed me into buying it over the Liberty GT...
    Last edited by nickows; 26-01-2009 at 07:37 AM.

13. Default

Nasty is all I'll say..

NASTY!

14. Default

looks like the new Lexus 250... I like the lexus better tho...

what with the deformed mirrors ? cameras instead of mirrors ???

yuck....

What an abortion of a car!

The current Liberty was the last good looking Subaru left , now they
    have totally lost it.

That is one ugly car. I miss the good looking subarus, they used to make some wicked cars.

again.. tut tut trying too hard.... looks to complicated.... meh its yuk

I think I vomited in my mouth a little bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast