User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for all Gen II luxury owners concerning windscreen with rain sensors

Can you get a replacement without the rain sensor and just forget about the silly auto wipers?

I have a base model so don't have to worry about that, but I dislike things like rain sensors and automatic headlights.

Don't mean to revive an old thread but a rock also flew up on the freeway and chipped my windscreen. Took it to O'brian as they are just behind my work.
    The put resin in it and then when returning to my car i saw a funny line coming from the repair, I pointed it out to the worker and he said thats just because its got resin in it now so its made it a little more obvious, I was a bit bummed but what you do. I went back to work, came back to my car 3 hours later to find that line got bigger and my screen now had a large crack in it, after i had already paid $149 for the repair.

Took it straight back to O'brian and they are replacing the screen with a brand new one for free, I made sure it is the correct one for my car (2012 gen II with rain sensors etc) and he showed it to me on the computer screen, the cost of the glass is around $570 , Don't know how much they would have charged on top for labour. Glad im not paying for it.
    Bummer thing is i gotta wait for a new genuine screen from Mazda which wont arrive for another 2 weeks

I never thought it would be necessary but I am now getting Glass Insurance included in my policy.

Yep, the screens with rain sensing wiper sensors are exxy. First thing I did when I bought the car and organised the insurance change-over

Windscreen cover is a great thing to have anyway regardless of rain-sensing wipers or not IMO.

My Gen II Lux is insured through AAMI (I think it was $50 extra on the annual premium) and with that particular policy I can claim one windscreen per year with nil excess.

Unfortunately the bugbear with rain sensing wipers is that they don't recognise if the windscreen has been polished with RAIN-X so that you never use the damn things anyway.

Jeff

Taping off the sensor section prior to applying any coatings should fix that

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Meh windscreen cover is still not worth it for a regular windscreen imo. I needed a windscreen replacement last year and it only cost me about $250. That vs $50 a year for cover and the fact It's only happened to me once in 10 years of driving. If I lived out in the boonies I would probably get it bit for me I don't see value in it.

Luxury model is a very different story tho.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12